Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Intro/Negligent Discharge..

Welcome....great name. You won't do THAT again.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Here are the four rules

1 Treat every gun as though loaded
    2 Do not point at anything you don't want to destroy
    3 Finger off the trigger until aimed at target
    4 Be certain of your target and what is beyond it.

You broke all four rules, and had an ND.

By dumb luck you didn't destroy anything but your own wall.

Don't play with guns.
    Sic semper tyrannis

(Adams County)

I have a similar story from half a century ago. (Did I just really say that? Damn, I'm old!)

I was a dumb kid, old enough to have been taught a tiny bit about how to shoot so of course I thought I knew it all. One afternoon when on one else was home, I was standing in the living room messing with one of my Dad's .22 revolvers when suddenly BANG! The direction I was pointing the gun put the round into the wall, behind and just below the top of the couch. It was an exterior wall with brick on the outside, so I knew the only evidence was the hole in the sheetrock. I found some kind of putty (don't remember what) and some paint, then pushed the couch back to within half an inch of the wall so it hid the scar pretty well. If my parents ever found out, they never said anything but since then I have always remembered that day any time I pick up a gun. As long as the OP spends the next half a century remembering how that happened, he should do OK.
    O(ld) F(at) & U(gly)

(Bucks County)

I was almost killed by an ND when I was a teenager. My brother was super proud of how well he cleaned the gun. When he let the hammer down, it slipped and the round hit about 2 feet from my head. We both learned a lesson that night.

I also dry fire a lot. My system is to leave ammo in a different room from where I dry fire. I make a formal designation (in my mind) that now is dry fire time. When dry fire time is up, I stop and reload live ammo and stow/holster the pistol. I again designate (in my mind) that dry fire time is over.

I find it easy, if I don't make those designations, the urge to play with the pistol is there. It would be very easy to accidentally pull the trigger on a live round.

Hopefully that's the last Nd for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    I'm not gonna ball bust, because you realize what you did wrong, so it's no use kicking a man while he's down.

I will say that, when you rack the slide to make sure your gun is clear, do it multiple times to make sure you didn't leave your mag in. I usually then lock the slide open, and stick my pinky down the magwell and into the chamber just to be super extra sure.

Stay safe out there...
    The slide only needs to be withdrawn to the rear AND LOCKED BACK once. First check mag well both visually and physically then move to the chamber. Racking slide like a banshee accomplishes nothing in and of its self. Especially if you have something crazy like an extractor failure at which point you would be opening and closing a slide on a chambered round. The method mentioned above is the most simple to remember, and accomplished ensuring a clear firearm in the least amount of steps.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I have an adjustable trigger on my .45, I made it too light and put a mag in with 1 round, pistol went off when I dropped the slide and barely put my finger on the trigger. I was at the range.
    I put it back and never tried messing around with it again..
    Scared the crap out of me because I wasn't on the target
    Someone I know had a .45 for bullseye shooting. Damn thing went full auto on him.

He said never again, after taking that gun apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Delaware County)

Go take a class.

I took this one as belt and suspenders even though I grew up around guns my whole life. The instructor was great and the class was too. There were people from all walks of life and all abilities. You will learn a ton from the class.
    NRA Basic Pistol.

http://www.phillyguntraining.com/index.html

You will be much more confident and competent when you are done the class.

A gun is a tool. (Never heard of a young mechanic playing with his new socket set while goofing on the phone. I guess it's possible).
    For me, you never "play" with a gun. If your going to familiarize yourself with any firearm, you never use live rounds unless your on the range. Never practice with live rounds in a building. (Occupied or not). I am surrounded by LTCC friends and family and I never ever saw them unholster it and rack the slide, drop mags, eject shells, etc in all the decades we have walked the earth UNLESS we are outside and shooting. Never while we are at camp or at home watching a game, playing cards or texting talking on a phone. At my hunting camp, no loaded hunting rifles in it and no loading a rifle until your outside. I never saw anyone fidgeting with their hunting rifle while we are talking, eating, watching TV, etc. (Oiling/cleaning is about it. Otherwise they are in the rack on the wall).
    If someone bought a new gun, pass it around and admire it but everyone checks the chamber and no one has their finger on the trigger. Most all my friends were blessed by being raised around guns and taught how to use them, when to use them, how to care for them and what NOT to do with them. Same goes for the younger guys that come and go at the camp and the range. Your new to guns and I am sure your intentions and interest in the sport/hobby of the shooting sports and self defense is commendable. Your honesty is also to be commended. But if I notice one of the guys at the cabin "playing" with their gun as a habit and doing other distracting things at the same time, they will be called out on it. The words "playing around" and "guns" are used way too often in news stories where the headline reads "shooting death". When handling a firearm, that gun should be 100% on your mind and nothing else. We all learn from our mistakes. Some of us have made mistakes with guns. But mistakes made with 4000 lb cars and firearms are lessons learned that effect many lives. All too often, its a mistake that is too late to learn from.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jgencinc View Post
    I also dry fire a lot. My system is to leave ammo in a different room from where I dry fire. I make a formal designation (in my mind) that now is dry fire time. When dry fire time is up, I stop and reload live ammo and stow/holster the pistol. I again designate (in my mind) that dry fire time is over.
    Same here. But I also say out loud "this pistol is now loaded" once live ammo is back in the picture. It's dorky but it works to hear the words rather than just think them.

(Montgomery County)

There has already been a lot of input here that has covered the issue fairly well.
    If you want true feedback I will add mine to the pile.

It should not have happened, end of story.
    If you truly understand just how badly you screwed up, then you should unload your gun, put it away, and don't touch it again until you have been trained by a professional.
    If you want to own this, then the very next thing you should be doing is getting that training without delay.

You have no business carrying a firearm without getting some professional training.
    You are a danger to yourself and to the people around you.

Having said that, you did good posting your event, it's a good learning lesson for others, and it demonstrates that you're not arrogant and you're looking for advice.
    I live in the greater Philadelphia area, if you can't find a trainer, you can send me a private message and I will help you out.
    Berncly-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast