Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Intro/Negligent Discharge..

Alright so i have been putting off really becoming part of the gun community and now is as good of a time as ever lol.
    I am 21 years old and new to firearms but have always been interested in them. I'm a firm believer of the second amendment simple as that. Unfortunately i was not someone raised around guns. Closest i had been before this year was target shooting with a bb gun in the woods. I grew up in a household with parents that have guns but act like anti-gunners (more on that hypocrisy if anyone is interested).

I received my license to carry in may and purchased my first firearm shortly after. Recently purchased my second firearm. Admittedly i have yet to receive any real formal training and haven't had much spare time to go to the range as much as i'd like. Been planning to go again now that i have spare time and money. Due to my inability to get to the range i try to at least dry fire practice at home and i do it frequently. Always safe about it and I follow the rules of handling a firearm. I respect my firearms. The rule of not pointing at anything you aren't willing to destroy sure came in handy last night...

All that said basically as the title suggests i had an ND. My first gun for concealed carry is a Kahr CM9. It is a DAO no frills polymer framed handgun. It simply works and nothing more. Carry it everyday and have put about 500 rounds through it. Not a joy to shoot (need a grip sleeve or something) but i need to know it. I (for lack of a better term) play with it all the time. I clear the gun and am sure to never point it at anything i shouldn't. All that aside that was not the gun i had an Nd with..

That firearm was my Jericho 941 F. Sexy beast of a gun i cannot seem to keep my hands off of and been itching to get it to the range.. In the mean time I have been doing the same routine I do with my Kahr. Last night i basically had a brain fart and am embarrassed to even talk about it but i own my mistakes. I am 100% at fault and know it could have been prevented like i have previously been fine doing. I was not paying attention (talking and texting). I like to load a mag up just to be sure everything is feeding properly and to familiarize myself with the gun. Everything was good as expected. I then thought i dropped the mag out..This is where the not paying attention comes into play. Pulled the slide back to eject while still talking it up and my dumbass puts another round in it. I point in a safe direction and then BANG. I almost shit myself. Put a nice hole in the wall. Luckily no one was hurt..Only damage was to my wall, pride and general firearm confidence..Oh and my ears. This was an eye opening experience and I hope at least one person sees this and learns something from it..I know I sure did. The "wont happen to me" mentality is a dangerous thing.

I apologize for the long post and thank anyone who spends the time reading/commenting. Any tips or straight truth will be appreciated. Also if anyone asks The wall was armed..Lol a nice little name i chose as a constant reminder.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Intro/Negligent Discharge..

Sounds like the wall was harmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Philadelphia County)

It was self defense I swear. Got a trip to home depot in my future.

(Allegheny County)

I'm not gonna ball bust, because you realize what you did wrong, so it's no use kicking a man while he's down.

I will say that, when you rack the slide to make sure your gun is clear, do it multiple times to make sure you didn't leave your mag in. I usually then lock the slide open, and stick my pinky down the magwell and into the chamber just to be super extra sure.

Stay safe out there...

(Philadelphia County)

I appreciate the advice man and will be sure to up the safety after this. Going to try and not let this experience discourage me. Just glad i didn't hurt anyone because that i couldn't live with.

(Montgomery County)

Also buy snap caps/dummy rounds. Don't practice with live ammo.

(Delaware County)

Having been trained on rifles and pistols in the Marine Corp, I am not so forgiving when it comes to ND. While admitting to the act shows responsibility, it is responsibility for something that should not have happened. We carriers speak of situational awareness as a primary skill. Situational awareness starts with knowing whether your gun is loaded and whether there is a round in register. In the Corps we never got a hand on a live round until we were fully aware of firearms safety. When we did go to the range the first time we had an instructor hanging over us. That strict supervision bestowed the need for safe handling.

While in our State there is no training requirement for purchase or carrying, I believe it is incumbent on every gun owner to have training in the safe handling of firearms whether it be military, law enforcement, or civilian training. Hooting a hole in a wall is bad. Shooting a hole in yourself is worse. Shooting a hole in someone else is worst of all. Get safety training.

(Philadelphia County)

I agree with you completely. Would like to have formal training. I also made a separate post on the subject in regards to any good classes or instructors in Philadelphia. I will be ordering some snap caps and also try to keep my live ammunition away from me while using them. Definitely was a learning experience i wont forget especially because of how lucky I was. Like I said i had that "it won't happen to me mentality". All it took is one moment of not paying attention and i could have hurt someone. I appreciate the straight truth and advice.

OK,you know what you did wrong.Snap caps as suggested,finger always off the trigger until ready to shoot.If you learned from this lesson you are the better for it !

(Lackawanna County)

Thank you for posting the embarrassing story. It is always good to read reminders that you can never let your guard down. Thank God that your story resulted in nothing worse than a hole in the wall. I have known two Marines who accidentally shot themselves while disassembling/cleaning firearms. It can happen to anyone who is not careful or focused on what they are doing.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast