Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: Intro/Negligent Discharge..

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    You don't hear about this very often with 1911s.

Just sayin'...
    Probably because they are jammed.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobGun View Post
    No, but I have shot out my CRT with my 1911, while it was empty and unloaded. I was putting the gun back together when the button that holds the recoil spring was shot across the room and hit the TV. I was trying to turn the bushing and thought it was over the button, but it was not.
    oops...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobGun View Post
    No, but I have shot out my CRT with my 1911, while it was empty and unloaded. I was putting the gun back together when the button that holds the recoil spring was shot across the room and hit the TV. I was trying to turn the bushing and thought it was over the button, but it was not.
    At least it wasn't a strike to the nads.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    By the way, Snap caps are a great investment,
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...caps?a=1749252
    Hey you should get some snap caps!

1. ALWAYS treat your gun like it is loaded
    2. Never point it at another person, (unless in a self defense situation.)
    3. Don't point it at anything you are not willing to destroy
    4. Keep your finger off the trigger until on target.
    5. Always know what your target is and what is beyond it.

Tattoo this on the inside of your eyelids, and on your forehead. in reverse so you see it every time you look in the mirror
    Kudos for manning up on an ND and NOT trying to blame it on the weapon.

You know I get nervous even looking down the barrel on any firearm? even when I know for a fact its empty,
    Even if the bolts out, barrels on the bench or the uppers off the lower. To me That IS where the Angel of death lives. Going to places like Cabelas gives me the heebeejeebees because I'll get swept 3-8 times by the yoyos with an AR-AK from the used gun rack
    I have always made your second rule my first. With any firearm, even if I am positive it is unloaded. Even if the bolt is out of my Marlin 25. If the muzzle is not covering you, or someone else, nobody will get hurt, not by a ND, or an AD caused by a malfunction. I noticed on 60 Minutes the other night, the story of the young man who shot his brother, because of a Remington 700 malfunction. Nobody mentioned that if he had been following basic safety rules, there would have been a hole in the floor or wall, and not his brother's head.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    I have always made your second rule my first. With any firearm, even if I am positive it is unloaded. Even if the bolt is out of my Marlin 25. If the muzzle is not covering you, or someone else, nobody will get hurt, not by a ND, or an AD caused by a malfunction. I noticed on 60 Minutes the other night, the story of the young man who shot his brother, because of a Remington 700 malfunction. Nobody mentioned that if he had been following basic safety rules, there would have been a hole in the floor or wall, and not his brother's head.
    When I train new people, what I try to explain to them is that it's all about developing safe habits.
    There is usually a safety disconnect with new shooters, and they often point out that we have already checked the gun is empty, so then it's ok for them to do an unsafe xyz.
    I repeat to them over and over, that if they always treat a firearm as if it is loaded, even when unloaded, then they will never make an unsafe error when loaded.
    I will often handle an unloaded firearm in the correct manner, and then demonstrate that when I draw my own loaded firearm my technique is exactly the same.
    I try to make this point as often as possible during the training, to make sure the correct safety habits stick.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Butler County)

Although I know we all love our guns dearly, I think its important not to fall in love too much that we "run away" with them and leave our common sense behind. There are all ways to end up not paying enough attention to practical things... like safety. But I think this one applies here. To put it bluntly, the OP let himself get a boner over his gun at a bad time. It's not as simple as just "not paying attention".

I'll be honest, I've had more close calls driving whike staring at girl's asses than at any other time. Really REALLY got to learn to manage your boner if youre going to mess with guns. Waving a gun around with a hardon is worse than just forgetting to take a precaution while still being generally cautious. If youre careful you'd likely catch your mistake. With a boner, only about 10% as likely.

Edit: All of us are probably guilty of having near sexual feelings for some gun at some time, but we have to remember that feeling that way over something which coukd end a life in a second with the pull of a trigger truly is a form of lunacy. Once you admit that to yourself youre on a better path.
    Last edited by FJW; August 19th, 2017 at 04:40 PM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    When I train new people, what I try to explain to them is that it's all about developing safe habits.
    There is usually a safety disconnect with new shooters, and they often point out that we have already checked the gun is empty, so then it's ok for them to do an unsafe xyz.
    I repeat to them over and over, that if they always treat a firearm as if it is loaded, even when unloaded, then they will never make an unsafe error when loaded.
    I will often handle an unloaded firearm in the correct manner, and then demonstrate that when I draw my own loaded firearm my technique is exactly the same.
    I try to make this point as often as possible during the training, to make sure the correct safety habits stick.
    Yeh, I had a guy at my club sweep me with the muzzle of his new pistol when I asked about it. I instinctively dove away, and he tells me, oh, don't worry it's unloaded. I make it a point to sit in my car, if I ever see this guy on the range. I also told him I don't want the muzzle of a toy gun pointed at me, which is my rule. He took exception. You can't fix stupid.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456