Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Duty to Inform when stopped by police

I can tell you for certain that LEO can see if you have a permit when they run your name.

I was just stopped today in Montco and everything went smooth but the last thing the officer asked me was if I was carrying my firearm. I said I was and he responded that it would have been "nice" for me to have let him know earlier. I asked how he knew, he said it comes up in their system. I thought that maybe it was something new that shows it now.

I don't inform unless asked as the only 2 times I did in the past they didn't care and didn't want to see my permit. I've had my LTCF for 7 years and not once has an officer asked about it or implied that the info shows up and I've been stopped 5 or 6 times probably in the past 7 years. (3 of those were DUI check points where they ran my ID)

If asked I am not going to lie of course. There's no point.
    Last edited by JW1914; August 6th, 2017 at 10:32 PM.
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

PA=No duty to inform,
    and anecdotally speaking there's MORE issue from behind the badge when the subject is brought up.

Permits do come up when a license is ran.

Quote Originally Posted by JL911 View Post
    Enter Carson in 3......2....

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by JL911 View Post
    And so does the illegal registration (Excuse me; the incomplete sales database.)

I got pulled over on I-78 coming home from the Harrisburg rally.
    ( I don't agree I was speeding. I was in the right lane and being passed by a Hummer in the left lane.)

Since I still have the bad habit of placing my wallet in the front pocket of my carry side.
    I felt it wise to tell the trooper I was carrying on my right hip and my wallet is in my front, right pocket.
    But he said he already knew I was carrying before he even got out of his car.

And near the very end of the situation. The trooper asked me how I liked that Beretta I was carrying.
    BUT I was carrying my M&P. So I told him I was not carrying a Beretta.
    His response was; "Oh. I only saw a Beretta listed when I ran your info."
    --ET

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    And so does the illegal registration (Excuse me; the incomplete sales database.)

I got pulled over on I-78 coming home from the Harrisburg rally.
    ( I don't agree I was speeding. I was in the right lane and being passed by a Hummer in the left lane.)

Since I still have the bad habit of placing my wallet in the front pocket of my carry side.
    I felt it wise to tell the trooper I was carrying on my right hip and my wallet is in my front, right pocket.
    But he said he already knew I was carrying before he even got out of his car.

And near the very end of the situation. The trooper asked me how I liked that Beretta I was carrying.
    BUT I was carrying my M&P. So I told him I was not carrying a Beretta.
    His response was; "Oh. I only saw a Beretta listed when I ran your info."
    Anybody else's blood pressure heading for "percolate"?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JW1914 View Post
    I can tell you for certain that LEO can see if you have a permit when they run your name.

I was just stopped today in Montco and everything went smooth but the last thing the officer asked me was if I was carrying my firearm. I said I was and he responded that it would have been "nice" for me to have let him know earlier. I asked how he knew, he said it comes up in their system. I thought that maybe it was something new that shows it now.

I don't inform unless asked as the only 2 times I did in the past they didn't care and didn't want to see my permit. I've had my LTCF for 7 years and not once has an officer asked about it or implied that the info shows up and I've been stopped 5 or 6 times probably in the past 7 years. (3 of those were DUI check points where they ran my ID)

If asked I am not going to lie of course. There's no point.
    There absolutely is a point to denying you are armed if the cop asks you on a traffic stop- even if it means lying.
    The point is to keep the officer from seizing your weapons "for his safety".

Consider that the average flatfoot could f up a bowling ball and has little or no interest in firearms at all.
    Generally speaking, police competence with firearms in not particularly high.

You do not want officer friendly trying to unload your weapons on the roadside.
    Chances are good he will be unfamiliar with the gun and that sets the stage for something bad to happen.

You don't want your traffic stop to turn into an all night affair in which the cops confiscate your weapons while they investigate how their officer managed to shoot himself with your gun. The way things are these days, the officer might accuse you of command detonating the gun while he "rendering it safe" with a cell phone ap or something.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

Any trooper stopping me is gonna have to be careful reading my long list. If he sits back there for an extended time, I'll know why. I never informed PSP ROS about my horrible boating accident. Wonder what they do about a LTCF holder denying owning listed weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    So what do you say when a local LEO pulls you over and ask, " Mr. Wilson, What are you carrying today?". Told me to slow down a bit. No ticket.
    Depending on the officer's demeanor, a self-inflicted crack about being overweight slightly with a big grin on my face might be warranted. But then I'm not sure how PA would know I have UT and NH licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    There absolutely is a point to denying you are armed if the cop asks you on a traffic stop- even if it means lying.
    The point is to keep the officer from seizing your weapons "for his safety".

Consider that the average flatfoot could f up a bowling ball and has little or no interest in firearms at all.
    Generally speaking, police competence with firearms in not particularly high.

You do not want officer friendly trying to unload your weapons on the roadside.
    Chances are good he will be unfamiliar with the gun and that sets the stage for something bad to happen.

You don't want your traffic stop to turn into an all night affair in which the cops confiscate your weapons while they investigate how their officer managed to shoot himself with your gun. The way things are these days, the officer might accuse you of command detonating the gun while he "rendering it safe" with a cell phone ap or something.
    Hmmm... that could be a reason for carrying one of those smart guns!
    (not to shoot a cop, mind you, but to pop a round off at an opportune moment for other reasons.)-

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast