Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Question Duty to Inform when stopped by police

Hey guys I'm new here.

I know people probably already asked this but I couldn't find the threads.

I checked on various websites that show PA residents are not legally required to inform the officer of their concealed carry weapon when stopped.

But can the officer see me having a license to carry firearm when he checks my plate and registration?

And I've seen videos about being courteous and inform the officer either way.

Have any of you encountered with the police when carrying? How did you handle it and how did the police officer response?

Thanks guys!!

(Erie County)

Default Re: Duty to Inform when stopped by police

No duty to inform officer.

If officer finds you to have an LTCF via other means, the officer would know that you are not prohibited and should act accordingly.

If you feel compelled to inform the officer, DON'T yell out, "I HAVE A GUN".

Best way to not have an encounter, obey traffic laws. Other situations might warrant a different approach.

IANAL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Philadelphia County)

I think op is asking if such info comes up on the system when the officer checks the driver's information?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Warren County)

welcome to pafoa!

Gun is correct.
    do you have a LTCF? (carry permit) ?

Ohio is a must inform state.
    West VA is not.
    New Jersey is TROUBLE, stay away while armed or otherwise. Ditto NY.
    VA is reciprocal with PA. Don't know about must inform.
    Maryland is NOT reciprocal with PA. Don't there go armed.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

There are threads here in the past where Law abiding Citizens(LAC) have had their firearms removed from their possession by Law enforcement officers (LEO) without their consent while proned out on the road side while legally Open Carrying (OC) or during a traffic stop while Concealed Carrying (CC)
    They have also had their firearms retained by LEO due to the "lack of documentation Proving that the carried firearm belonged to the LAC" because the firearm was not in the "Database" of recent firearm sales (ROS). This "database" is illegal, and incomplete. And the LAC had to report to the police station with documentation that the firearm did indeed belong to them. Sometimes this took several weeks, and one case took a year because the local LEO jurisdiction sent the firearm to the county state police barracks and there it was "lost" due to paperwork SNAFU
    The ROS database does not include legal transfers from people moving from another state, Firearm transfers from specific relatives, or even legally "loaned" firearms between individuals whom BOTH have LTCF". It also does not include many transfers from the days of paper forms, Some say prior to 1968
    You have no duty to inform a LEO that you are armed, If you feel like your being a "nice guy" by telling a LEO that you are armed, be prepared to be disarmed "for the LEOs safety".
    To many on these boards, having a LEO fumbling around with a weapon he is unfamiliar with is in itself a safety concern.
    Also some posters here have recounted stories where LEOs have unloaded and removed the magazines, unloaded the magazines, and placed them in the locked trunk of the vehicle.
    One thread even relates a LEO even going so far as field stripping the firearm and locking it in the trunk.

All that being said,
    In light of recent increases and LEO/LAC education, a realization by the MAJORITY of the LEO community that LAC with LTCF are on the SAME SIDE, We are good guys too, and LAC with firearms have saved the lives of LEOs, the attitudes in most areas have dramatically changed for the better between the LAC/LEO relations.
    These interactions have become more commonplace where the LEO is informed of the LAC has possession of a firearm and a LTCF out of courtesy. The LEO calmly says "Thanks, Mind if I see that LTCF? and please Just keep your hands on the wheel " during the traffic stop. Casual OC interactions at dunkin donuts where the OC and LEO discuss what firearms they prefer. Just the way it should be.
    Now in Phily or Pittsburgh, these things might be a LOT different, as the chiefs of police have come out and publicly bashed the idea of constitutional carry, And the LEOs are on edge anyway with a high crime rate and subconsciously having a bullseye painted on their backs
    Last edited by bigandy1966; August 3rd, 2017 at 07:15 AM.

(Elk County)

Correct me if I'm wrong, in PA while one has no duty to inform (or volunteer), if directly asked by the LEO if armed, you must respond.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    if directly asked by the LEO if armed, you must respond.

Noah
    Truthfully?

i concur, ianal, but ltcf identification needs presented upon request. vehicular related identification, i believe needs presented at any stop.

i always ensure the officer has every bit of identification they may or may not need, in my hand before they get out of their vehicle. so all the required papers and my ltcf.
    my thought is that i'd rather deal with him asking about it or trying to disarm me at an expired tags stop than have him shoot me for reaching for my id (upon his request) least i'll probably be alive to fight it in court.

white male, still don't trust anyone, especially police or anyone else with power. doubly so when it's "obey me or i will use force to compel you to obey me"
    just like i'm guilty until proven innocent, they are a hostile actor until proven otherwise.
    i've met tons of nice cops in my life, when the lights are flashing it's a totally different scenario though.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Northampton County)

Correct me if I'm wrong, in PA while one has no duty to inform (or volunteer), if directly asked by the LEO if armed, you must respond.

Noah
    Never heard this and don't believe it pending more info.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Warren County)

Noah
    Correct.

No I don't have a cite.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast