Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Harbor Freight ammo

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    Ive got 4 of the HF plastic cans and have had no issues
    I was just looking over the HF circular that was delivered the other day and was eyeballing the plastic can they have pictured.I also learned that there is a new HF location near where I work so I might stop by after I get off tomorrow.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    I was just looking over the HF circular that was delivered the other day and was eyeballing the plastic can they have pictured.I also learned that there is a new HF location near where I work so I might stop by after I get off tomorrow.
    Just to let you know, the HF can is a knockoff of the Plano (Cabelas and others as well) can, which Walmart has on sale for $4.88 everyday price. When the brand name was selling for $10-15 each, the HF was a deal, (even at $8), but not so much any more. Wally also has the longer low profile can intended for shotshells at that price. Those make handy mini tool boxes for light use.
    Last edited by gghbi; July 28th, 2017 at 04:37 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

I think there would have to be wide swings of pressure differential between that in the can and ambient to cause the can to suck in humid ambient air. The only way I can think of to make that occur is heating and cooling of the can, such as exposed to sunlight followed by cool-down. It is more difficult to seal against a vacuum than pressure. Suggestion...with lid secured, get the can very warm, and submerge it lid down in cold water. That should form a vacuum sufficient to test the seal. Another idea....drop some baking soda into the bottom of the can and place a small open container of white vinegar on it. Latch the lid, lower the can into water and let it roll onto its side, spilling the vinegar. Watch for bubbles. (Don't make it a large amount of soda/vinegar, or it will be a bomb).

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Just to let you know, the HF can is a knockoff of the Plano (Cabelas and others as well) can, which Walmart has on sale for $4.88 everyday price. When the brand name was selling for $10-15 each, the HF was a deal, (even at $8), but not so much any more. Wally also has the longer low profile can intended for shotshells at that price. Those make handy mini tool boxes for light use.
    Thank you for the tip.The Wal-Mart is even closer to my home. I pass it on the way home from work so stop there might be better except thst the check out lines are always long.

(Allegheny County)

I've got mine at $4+- a few cents.. for what I use them for they work OK.. $4.99 on sale and use the 20% off super coupon for one item .. at one time I seem to get HF coupons every other week.. Plus they are good to get rid of all the stickers the companies send you ....

(Berks County)

30s don't hold much. I mostly buy 50s. I have a bunch of plastic ones from Cabellas and what I found is they don't hold their shape when filled with ammo. I was attracted by their weight savings. I just bought the Blackhawk 12 can deal from PSA. They are very close to surplus cans. The paint is sloppy but the construction is excellent.

I think the fastest test for leaking would be to dunk it in a tub of water.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    30s don't hold much. I mostly buy 50s. I have a bunch of plastic ones from Cabellas and what I found is they don't hold their shape when filled with ammo. I was attracted by their weight savings. I just bought the Blackhawk 12 can deal from PSA. They are very close to surplus cans. The paint is sloppy but the construction is excellent.

I think the fastest test for leaking would be to dunk it in a tub of water.
    I'd be concerned about dropping one of those plastic ones when it's full of ammo.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

^...sounds like a legitimate concern.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I doubt there was enough humidity to produce the quantity of water he found.
    I agree, but it was worth asking.

just my opinion but maybe your ammo storage area needs a dehumidifier if theres that much moisture making it into a can how much is on the outside of the can.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast