Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default FCC Officer Brandishes Weapon On ATV Motorist In North Pole

http://www.webcenter11.com/tvtv/cont...orth-Pole.html

A local ATV rider claims he was assaulted by an off-duty corrections officer, allegedly pretending to be a police officer.

The rider says he was in fear for his life after the corrections officer confronted him, and then threatened him with a gun, forcing him to the ground.

This past Memorial Day, ATV rider Devarge Walker, along with two others headed to a friend's home in North Pole.
    Walker was wearing a GoPro camera during the ride.

Shortly before arriving he was stopped by Gregory Braeuer, an off-duty corrections officer at the Fairbanks Correctional Center.

"The vehicle pulled a quarter of the way into the middle of the road," Walker said. "I stopped, and waived him on like, go ahead."

Braeuer exits his vehicle and waves Walker up.

Braeuer reaches for Walker's ATV and said, "This ain't a racetrack."
    Walker goes to removes Braeuer's hand.

"I'm trying to remove his hand, because he's not letting go," Walker stated. "He's holding on tight, like he's trying to take it from me almost. So stand up and get off, I'm trying to remove him and I grab him, he grabs me, I'm just trying to push him off."

A scuffle ensues.

"I'm telling you right now it's not a racetrack!" Braeuer yells.

"Get the **** off my bike," Walker yells back, "What the **** is wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with you?" Braeuer replies.

"What the **** is wrong with you?" Walker yells for the last time.

After, Braeuer walks towards his vehicle.

"I push him away," Walker says. "And I think it's over, but he goes to his vehicle and grabs his gun."

Braeuer approaches Walker, loading a round into his gun.

An eye witness to the scene says they saw Braeuer point his gun towards Walker before putting it as his side.

"When he pulled out his gun, my heart dropped. In my head, I'm thinking of all scenarios. If I do this wrong I can get shot, so no sudden movements. I'm seeing my death in front of me." Walker stated.

Braeuer tells everyone to get on the ground.

"Get on the ground," Braeuer says. "Get on the ground! Get on the ground! (Inaudible) Get on the ground, I got my badge, get on the ******* ground!"

Braeuer says he has a badge. Walker, then believes Braeuer is a police officer and complies.

According to the Alaska Department of Corrections, Corrections Officers do not have the authority to detain anyone outside of the correctional facility. They are also not authorized to carry firearms in the course of their duties, only as private citizens.

Braeuer questions Walker, and Walker believing he was a police officer, answers questions.

Walker then lets Braeuer know he is being recorded.

"He approached me, he assaulted me. I was terrified for my life," Walker says. "I didn't pull out a firearm, I didn't even want a confrontation."

The Alaska State Troopers were called to the scene.

"I explained to the police what happened and showed them the video," Walker stated.
    "And they (AST) was like, 'What do you want to do? You can press charges' and I said, yes, I want to press charges."

On July 5th, assault charging documents were filed against Devarge Walker.

The District Attorney says no charges have been filed against Gregory Braeuer.

The Alaska State Troopers have declined to comment on this incident.
    Gregory Braeuer has also declined to comment.

Since receiving the video, the Alaska Department of Corrections has put Braeuer on administration leave, pending further hearings.

"I just want justice," Walker says. "I want the right thing to be done. I worked hard to stay out of trouble and I want to keep it that way."
    Last edited by mdd423; July 27th, 2017 at 11:53 AM.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: FCC Officer Brandishes Weapon On ATV Motorist In North Pole

administration leave, = paid vacation.

(Lancaster County)

For a moment I was wondering when the FCC got armed officers, although it wouldn't surprise me if they had a SWAT team like the Department of Education has.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Cumberland County)

Is this a typo?

Charges filed against the atv rider?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    Is this a typo?

Charges filed against the atv rider?

No Typo!

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...5912d63e8.html

FAIRBANKS — An off-duty corrections officer is under investigation for pulling his gun and brandishing his badge during a May 29 altercation with the leader of a group of ATV riders.

A GoPro camera mounted on the ATV captured the incident, in which Gregory Braeuer, 50, can be seen pulling his truck out of his driveway and halfway into the roadway before confronting the men as they tried to drive by his house. Braeuer walks directly to Devarge Walker’s ATV, grabs the handlebars and says, “This isn’t a racetrack.” A scuffle ensues as Walker tries to push Braeuer’s hands away, culminating in Walker throwing a punch at Braeuer as he refused to let go.

The video shows Braeuer go to his truck, retrieve a pistol and chamber a round as he orders Walker to get on the ground. Braeuer holds the gun pointed down and next to his leg as repeats the command several times, at one point saying, “Here’s my badge.”

Walker asks Braeuer to take his backpack off him and then gets down as ordered.

Walker, 31, was charged July 5 with fourth-degree assault for the incident. Braeuer has not been charged.

Walker shared the video footage with the News-Miner on Tuesday afternoon and said he asked Alaska State Troopers to press charges against Braeuer at the time of the incident. Walker said he was astounded when he, and not Braeuer, was charged with assault, considering he feels Braeuer was the aggressor.

“He grabbed my bike and he would not let go. I tried to push him off and he grabbed it again. As I tried to stand up, he grabbed me, so I swung at him and pushed him away,” Walker said. “I’m backing out and he grabs his gun, says, ‘This is my badge, get down on the ground.’ I thought he was a cop, no question.”

Alaska Department of Corrections spokeswoman Megan Edge said Braeuer was placed on administrative leave after the DOC was notified of the incident and will remain on leave “pending further administrative hearings.”

“Correctional officers do not have the authority to detain anyone outside of a correctional facility. Correctional officers are also not authorized to carry firearms in the course of their duties. As a private citizen, Mr. Braeuer does have the right to carry a firearm,” Edge said via email Tuesday morning.

Edge said troopers are investigating the incident, and “DOC’s own internal investigation team, known as our professional conduct unit, is also investigating the incident.”

Fairbanks District Attorney Greggory Olson said his office has not received any charges against Braeuer from troopers, and he could not comment on the case.

Contact staff writer Dorothy Chomicz at 459-7582. Follow her on Twitter: @FDNMcrime.

(Chester County)

Not to play arm chair QB but if I was in that position the situation would have been a lot worse. I'm not taking a chance on an unidentified guy walking out of his vehicle with a gun. At the point in the video he had already pulled the guy off the quad, fought with him and then walked back to the truck to get his gun... The guy in the truck is lucky he wasn't shot.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mdd423 View Post
    Not to play arm chair QB but if I was in that position the situation would have been a lot worse. I'm not taking a chance on an unidentified guy walking out of his vehicle with a gun. At the point in the video he had already pulled the guy off the quad, fought with him and then walked back to the truck to get his gun... The guy in the truck is lucky he wasn't shot.
    ^^^ This ^^^
    --ET

I wonder if ATV's we're permitted on that road? It is a major mode of transportation up there.
    Still, no reason for all of that and certainly no reason why the rider was charged...he was ambushed & attacked!
    What a fucked up chain of events.

(Delaware County)

Clearly, the corrections thug overstates his credentials, authority and, his common sense. As soon as he pulled that gun, the riders could have exercised their right to self defense...

Why is it that stupid people resort to using a gun, when words will do?

(Lackawanna County)

If I'm not mistaken atvs and snowmobiles are street legal in parts of Alaska.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast