Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation CWD continues to spread Disease of cervids causing local population declines

WEDNESDAY, JULY 26, 2017

Chronic wasting disease continues to spread Disease of cervids causing local population declines

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogs...tinues-to.html

with sad regards, terry

(Wayne County)

Default Re: CWD continues to spread Disease of cervids causing local population declines

This has nothing to do with a lack of predators cleaning the gene pool. This has everything to do with bringing diseased animals into the state for game farm hunting and then having them come into contact with wild populations. The other potential source of the spread of prions is the use of products like deer urine and estrous products for scent.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: CWD continues to spread Disease of cervids causing local population declines

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    This has nothing to do with a lack of predators cleaning the gene pool. This has everything to do with bringing diseased animals into the state for game farm hunting and then having them come into contact with wild populations. The other potential source of the spread of prions is the use of products like deer urine and estrous products for scent.
    Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link to that? I've been reading about CWD for the past several years and haven't heard that theory before. It would be curious if these products are actually causing it.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

i say goose shit. transported from one infected area to another via migratig geese.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link to that? I've been reading about CWD for the past several years and haven't heard that theory before. It would be curious if these products are actually causing it.
    It's been on the radar with wildlife agencies for a while.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlif...e-attractants/

http://www.outdoornews.com/2013/06/0...of-deer-urine/

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildli...at-are-prions/

(Lancaster County)

Thank you, makes sense. Now, what's the solution? Should those scent products, that are effectively bait, be banned? If it's endangering large populations it would make sense. IMO, it isn't very sporting to be using "bait" to begin with.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Thank you, makes sense. Now, what's the solution? Should those scent products, that are effectively bait, be banned? If it's endangering large populations it would make sense. IMO, it isn't very sporting to be using "bait" to begin with.

Talk has been around about going to synthetic scents. Just to add my two cents...I almost did it, but using doe in estrous on a drag, or making a mock scrape certainly isn't the same as hunting over a pile of apples. Older bucks are more careful and in my opinion can tell that those things are bullshit. Apples on the other hand.... I have much better luck grunting, rattling or even more recently snort wheezing to get a buck into bow range.

The piss is primarily used for archery when the deer are in the rut. Seems to me the deer piss restrictions are likely more of a "better safe than sorry" measure. Can't really blame them at this point.

I will put money on the primary cause being the imported and contained animals being brought in to PA being the primary cause. Look at the CWD management area 2. The only area where the disease has been found in free ranging deer thus far. The area has a lot of those fenced in "hunting" outfits that stock the animals. Also the area where the released feral hogs came from. This is just another example of the failure of government (and its agencies) to do its job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post

URINE

SUNDAY, JULY 16, 2017

*** Temporal patterns of chronic wasting disease prion excretion in three cervid species ***

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogs...c-wasting.html

kind regards, terry

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by flounder9 View Post
    URINE

SUNDAY, JULY 16, 2017

*** Temporal patterns of chronic wasting disease prion excretion in three cervid species ***

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogs...c-wasting.html

kind regards, terry
    I meant to give you rep for providing this, but my fat thumbs may have hit the wrong thing. Thanks for the link.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast