Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: I am not rushing to buy a semi for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension View Post
    If someone truly wants to hunt they will. Personally if it was me only black powder and archery would be allowed for large game. It would weed out a lot of shit heads who just want to shoot something simply because they own a gun and they can.
    If it was up to me we would have 2 months of rifle season not two weeks. I've seen both personally and on TV more botched archery shots than any other weapon combine. I've had deer duck the string as close as 20 yards and my brother killed a buck last year with an arrow lodged in his shoulder, entire deer was infected and we needed to toss all of the meat. Add to that the holier than thou attitude many hardcore bow hunters have and you have why I only hunt archery season out of necessity rather than choice.

Has it ever occurred to anyone that some of this bad shooting is caused by people shooting at the only deer they may see? Many people don't have the time to fully invest in practicing for archery so they only hunt with a rifle, this gives them roughly 4 days to hunt a year if they take two off of work. Combine that with the fact that it's buck only for the first week and most people only have 2 days to hunt doe. I know I personally rushed my shot last year because it was the second to last day and it was the only large doe I had seen after three days of hunting. I got burned the previous 2 years in that spot because the does saw me when I was buck hunting and avoided the area when doe opened. If the season was longer people would be far less inclined to rush their shots as they would have more opportunities to get a deer.

I would personally like to see a primitive weapons season similar to the one in Mississippi. This allows bows and muzzliaders to be used but also includes large bore single shot rifles. Modern Inline muzzleloaders aren't much different than something like my 1874 Sharps but I feel far more confident carrying that around than I do my flintlock.

A couple years ago I hunted the early muzzleloader season and right at dark when I was walking out I saw a deer in our food plot. It started to rain so I covered the pan and tried to sneak up to the edge to get a shot, in the time it took me to lean the rifle on a tree and pull the trigger it got enough moisture in it to make the flash last a full second and blow the smoke in between my eyes and the deer. I hit that deer by pure luck, I spend countless hours and thousands of rounds practicing my shooting to ethically harvest game, I want luck to play a part before I pull the trigger, not after.

(Lancaster County)

Hunters are just like many gun owners. Everyone other than themselves is an asshole dipshit.
    They don't like the gun, the clothes, the jacket or the hat the guy is using. The spot the guy posted at is wrong, the truck or car he drives.

(Delaware County)

Hunting with semi auto was passed bu the leg. The PGC nixed it for big game.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456