Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: I am not rushing to buy a semi for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension View Post
    I could see the advantage of using a nice semi target pistol like a Buckmark or Ruger II but as far as rifles go I see no advantage. I can shoot any ammo out of my bolt actions such as shorts, longs, and LR. Can't do that with a semi. Still can't use semi for turkey either.
    the advantage is i already own a 10/22 so why not use it. imo bolt action 22 have been getting harder to find in stores than semi autos, and most times the semis are cheaper. so if you owned no guns the advantage goes to semi.

(Bucks County)

Whatever I would buy for hunting, I would want it removable magazine fed if I'm going to be in and out of a vehicle throughout the hunting day. Tube magazine is a pita, other than a short one like a Marlin 336.

Was debating whether I should get a semi .22 for small game. It'd likely be a Ruger 10/22 if I did. I really don't see any advantage in using one. Can't use them for turkey because they are large game. I'll stick to my Marlin 25 bolt action for now.
    Thanks for the update, carry on

(Berks County)

10/22 is a great little rifle. Doubly so now that it's legal for small game & varmints. I was in the market for one recently but ended up with a great deal on a Savage Mark 2 so I went with a bolt action just because it saved me $$$. ($105. out the door with a scope and magazine) WOO!

And yes, highly reccomend taking it for a few walks in the woods this fall after you do HTE and get a license. There's nothing quite like being out there in the autumn woods looking for game. Bonus if you come home with some meat for the pot that you provided for yourself.

I too tend to think that the PGC is easing us into the modern era of firearms. I would predict in 5 years or less we will see semis for big game. Pennsylvania has more tradition and heritage than probably any other state so it's not surprising that there is as much opposition to semis. While I support them in both big game and small game, I have mixed feelings on the inside, knowing that a little bit of tradition and heritage dies in the name of progress. I like the Norman Rockwell imagery of deer camp. I appreciate the flannel hunting clothes and old thirty thirtys on the wall. Semis is just one step further away from the "good old days" of deer camp into the faster paced, technology/trophy driven modern era of hunting. (Which is okay!) there's room at the table for all styles of hunting as long as we're in it for the right reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyoas759 View Post
    10/22 is a great little rifle. Doubly so now that it's legal for small game & varmints. I was in the market for one recently but ended up with a great deal on a Savage Mark 2 so I went with a bolt action just because it saved me $$$. ($105. out the door with a scope and magazine) WOO!

And yes, highly reccomend taking it for a few walks in the woods this fall after you do HTE and get a license. There's nothing quite like being out there in the autumn woods looking for game. Bonus if you come home with some meat for the pot that you provided for yourself.

I too tend to think that the PGC is easing us into the modern era of firearms. I would predict in 5 years or less we will see semis for big game. Pennsylvania has more tradition and heritage than probably any other state so it's not surprising that there is as much opposition to semis. While I support them in both big game and small game, I have mixed feelings on the inside, knowing that a little bit of tradition and heritage dies in the name of progress. I like the Norman Rockwell imagery of deer camp. I appreciate the flannel hunting clothes and old thirty thirtys on the wall. Semis is just one step further away from the "good old days" of deer camp into the faster paced, technology/trophy driven modern era of hunting. (Which is okay!) there's room at the table for all styles of hunting as long as we're in it for the right reasons.
    Aside from tradition I just see much advantage in using semis. Semi shot guns have been legal forever but I'll never use one. I like using a pump that can fire any kind of shell. Same with rifles. Not much on the market that I would use for big game.

(Berks County)

Aside from tradition I just see much advantage in using semis. Semi shot guns have been legal forever but I'll never use one. I like using a pump that can fire any kind of shell. Same with rifles. Not much on the market that I would use for big game.
    Yeah. My #1 hesitation for legalizing semis is that the most common caliber is a bit of a bad combination for any big game. The 223 and similar are nice flat shooting rounds but low powered. Great for varmints, but very limited for deer/bear. It really only holds reliable killing power for deer inside of 100 yards, yet it can be deadly accurate out to 300+ With only 55 grain bullets and not a ton of power, there's very little margin for error and I can see plenty of one lung hits/busted shoulder shots taken if the shot is a little off or at ranges beyond 100 yards.

If the average AR was a beefier round, I would not have this concern, but I've already encountered enough wounded deer in my life when most of the smallest rounds in the woods are 30-30 and 243 and the like.

(Wayne County)

Yeah. My #1 hesitation for legalizing semis is that the most common caliber is a bit of a bad combination for any big game. The 223 and similar are nice flat shooting rounds but low powered. Great for varmints, but very limited for deer/bear. It really only holds reliable killing power for deer inside of 100 yards, yet it can be deadly accurate out to 300+ With only 55 grain bullets and not a ton of power, there's very little margin for error and I can see plenty of one lung hits/busted shoulder shots taken if the shot is a little off or at ranges beyond 100 yards.

If the average AR was a beefier round, I would not have this concern, but I've already encountered enough wounded deer in my life when most of the smallest rounds in the woods are 30-30 and 243 and the like.
    I knew a guy that worked as a varmint exterminator and trapper and he had a special license so he could work with the game comm.. He used an old Savage bolt action that he cut the barrel down to 18'' in a 223 rem. and killed everything including deer and bear with that rifle from right in front of him to 400 yards. Also, my friend took his daughter hunting for the first 5 years with a rem 700 with the barrel cut down to 20" in 223 rem and every year she got her deer, one being a nice buck. I would use a 223 in an AR 15 and not think twice about it's ability to kill what I'm shooting. JMHO

(Lancaster County)

This isn't much to worry about, old news really. There will be PLENTY of 6.8's and 6.5's sold here once the option opens up for them. Already there's lots of .308 AR's available as well and that's entirely well suited for the job all the way up to bear, and with the right bullets can even take elk cleanly.

Meanwhile why don't we focus on having fun zapping woodchucks and coyotes with .223 (and 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, .204 Ruger, etc.) and rabbits, squirrel, etc. with .22LR and be positive about things? Seriously, all this wet blanket stuff is what I'd expect from people of lesser intelligence.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; August 2nd, 2017 at 10:21 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Make it like Virginia. They allow semi auto only larger than .223 for deer.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lackawanna County)

It's funny how people associate semis with ar15s and the 223 round. There are so many other calibers than just 223 for that pattern rifle.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast