Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Vice article "NRA annoyed me into quitting"

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Bulk mailings cost pennies. No doubt it is expensive to mail to all members but the response rate must equal a net gain or they wouldn't keep doing it. They expect most of us to toss them in the trash, I do. But every so often, I open one and send some money in.
    Ok, good point.. I was thinking on a weight basis, not bulk mailings.. in that case then, I guess it benefits them - spend pennies for 100 mailings, and if one person sends in 35 or 40 bucks, it pays off.

I get annoyed by gun owners that express strong 2A sentiments but can't be bothered to support the 800 pound gorilla in the 2A fight. Whether because junk mail is the bane of their existence or the NRA is too extreme/compromises too much/should focus more on training/is a Republican organization... (not directed at you NB21)
    I agree.. there has been cases where I thought the NRA should have backed a certain case, and didn't... or they take action on something I disagree with.. but at the end of the day, they are the largest pro-gun org around, and they have the most weight in politics when it comes to legislation. I support the little guys too, sure... but without supporting the 800lb gorilla, as you put it, the little guys would be crushed. You're absolutely right.
    III%

(Delaware County)

Lots of speculation about what the NRA is and is not. I am willing to bet if we looked into all of these "speculative thoughts" on the NRA, most of them would be false and off base. Its easy to tell yourself a "story" that fits your agenda. Finding the truth is the hard part. Separating fact from fiction is difficult, but not impossible.

Nothing is perfect, if it was...I would have the perfect wife, kids and an awesome gun collection. Be honest with your self about why you don't like the NRA and then do some research as to whether or not your arguement holds water. Lots of organizations representing our rights...find one you like and don't bash them three to four years into your membership.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

With 5 million members, I'm sure Vice will find two or three current or ex members to support whatever narrative they want to push.

(Berks County)

I must be fortunate, because I never get any mailings from the NRA other than the quarterly Life Time member payments. I used to get sent some DVD series on self defense, but after the third or fourth I realized it was going to be some crazy 20-volume affair. I sent the newest one back and told them I didn't want any more, and they haven't sent anything since.

Once our finances are a bit better, I'm going to join the GOA as well.

(Cambria County)

Chalk me up as another one that doesn't get slammed with junk mail. A few years ago I did a "free" membership, then decided to do research to see if I really wanted to throw money at them. I was kinda on the fence, leaning toward sending them money, but then I started getting slammed with mailbox after mailbox full of their begging. It annoyed the hell out of me, and I shut it all down.

During the election campaign I saw the NRA put out some of the most compelling and proper advertising I have ever seen. I got online and sent them a few nice wads of cash. When I was at the donation page, I checked all the 'leave me alone' boxes, and it worked. I get one or two, usually interesting emails from NRA-ILA a month, and nothing else.

Now that we are talking about it, I think they are due for another wad of money.
    Last edited by Carnes; July 26th, 2017 at 08:24 PM.

(Chester County)

I don't know who The Vice is, but The Trace is 100% Michael Bloomberg. He has been spouting bullshit for years attempting to drive a wedge between the NRA and its membership and donors. Ignore the bullshit that comes from that site and don't give it an audience and discussion here.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Wayne County)

Been a NRA member since 1975, seen a lot of changes over that time and I can tell ya if we didn't have the NRA I'm not so certain we would have the firearms we have today. So quit bitching and start supporting.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    I don't know who The Vice is, but The Trace is 100% Michael Bloomberg. He has been spouting bullshit for years attempting to drive a wedge between the NRA and its membership and donors. Ignore the bullshit that comes from that site and don't give it an audience and discussion here.
    How do you counteract anti 2a groups if you don't try to have a discussion?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by rellisonii View Post
    How do you counteract anti 2a groups if you don't try to have a discussion?
    I have no problem with discussing issues brought up by members of the forum, but I don't think we should give a forum to nonsense from Bloomberg that is designed to stir up shit on forums and social media. The only people who read the Trace are diehard Bloomies and the pro-gun blog world. This is an old game for him. I'm just stating my opinion and am not taking personal shots at anyone. If you have a problem with the NRA, by all means let's discuss. If some figment of Mikey's imagination does, it might have some entertainment value but let's not seriously discuss nonsense that's just not real. OTOH, no harm done, as the BS doesn't fly here anyway, as we've seen in this thread. It's probably doing better on Facebook and Twitter where he has friendly trolls.

If the NRA is so bad and crumbling, why is Bloomberg working so hard and spending a fortune on lame attempts to weaken it? I gladly pay my dues and send a few extra bucks when I can. I like my right to guns.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Lancaster County)

I used to get their stuff but have not seen it in a while.

Never donated cause the NRA had long left NJ before I was born.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast