Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Wyoming antelope

Hey friends.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out, give some advice, and possibly point us in the right direction?

My friend and I just booked our first trip out to Wyoming for antelope and drew tags in unit 003-1, and couldn't be more pumped

Not the greatest draw I am assuming, but we're there to have fun and bring home some coolers, not trophy hunt.

I am getting a little concerned as it appears that there is no walk-in access listed on the WGFD website, and we've never been to Wyoming:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Pl...g/Antelope-Map

It seems there is plenty of BLM and state land available to hunt, but I am not 100% sure how to read the maps, and don't want to piss off any land owners.

Additionally, is the "Bankhead Jones" land fair game? BLM access points?

Could any of you help me out, point me in the right direction, or offer suggestions?

Any good camping spots?

Thanks so much in advance!

Gomer
    FU BHO.

Default Re: Wyoming antelope

Sounds like a great hunt in the works. I have been applying for Elk points in WY the last few years as my friend's boss has land in WY.

I would join long range hunting forum as there are a bunch of guys that have hunted WY and or live in WY.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/

onxmaps and hunt talk forums. By "walk in" they probably just mean no roads. I've never really hunted antelope but I would expect to do a bit of driving(in your vehicle) and glassing to locate animals. From what I've read, and my non-hunting experience out west, they're not hard to locate...but somewhat less easy to put a stalk on.
    Last edited by Marcus99; July 31st, 2017 at 10:03 PM.

(Delaware County)

Your best bet is to gather info from looking at maps and google earth together. Take notes and thoroughly think through your questions to make sure you are clear when asking. Then call the BLM and Wyoming Fish and Game. They WILL help you out and provide clarity. Just be sure to have well thought out questions before calling.

Hire a guide. We were hunting Wyoming antelope and mulies back in 2001. Our guide spotted some trespassers a couple of miles away from the blaze orange hats, and took all them back to the ranch we were hunting from, a 2hour drive.
    These guys were hunting public lands, but didn't get permission t cross the landowners property to get to it. The distace from the road was like a half mile.
    It kind of put a dent in our hunt, and I thought the guide was going out of his way to be a prick. He could have told these guys to get off the property, but decided to play then big Man and fuck up our day of hunting.just to make a point.
    Yeah these guys didn't follow the rules, but throw your big ball busting bullshit out the window when you have paying clients who don't have to see your show.
    We did all get to fill all of our tags on that trip.

(Fayette County)

I lived in Cheyenne for a few years and the antelope run wild. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a few.

Look into a place called the "Pawnee Grasslands". Its BLM land and its only a short distance from Cheyenne, WY and Greeley Colorado.
    I remember driving around in a truck and my buddy getting out and just shooting antelope and then throwing it in the back with no problems. I had grown up in Baltimore city, so to me I thought I had just landed on some alien planet. lol

I'll try to dig up some old pics from my wild west days of the Pawnee Grasslands.

(Fayette County)

Heres a couple of antelope I got real close to:

"Chalk Bluffs" on the state line of WY&CO in the Grasslands:

More antelope:

In the warmer months I enjoyed chasing Mojave Rattlesnakes around.

Hunted Pendoy Idaho in the 1980s,filled tags for Antelope,Not the best tasing meat something you get use to if your hungry.Now the Elk was a 700lb the meat ,heart was delicious,the guide was the one who did the cooking ! Not that we needed one the kill shots wer 1/4 mile in the back of my friends property !

(Lehigh County)

Not exactly Wyoming, but this months Montana Hunting & Fishing is available on line. Has article about Antelope hunting that may be of interest? Good luck on your trip.

http://issuu.com/bigskyoutdoornews/d...75380/51036736
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Susquehanna County)

I have a few friends that drive out pulling ATVs on trailers.. they all say the same thing..
    -First couple times get a guide until you are familiar with the area
    -take a fun long range shooter with you.. if you fill your tags have the guide take you Prairie Doggin ;-)
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"