Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Game Commission officer confrontation... actually went well :)

Withdrawn...
    Last edited by Agent Ronin; September 15th, 2008 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Game Commission officer confrontation... actually went well :)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ronin View Post
    But, he did try and say that its "illegal" to use any rifle on a game commission range thats not legal to hunt with.
    Was this a full fleged WCO or one of the "highly trainied" deputies????

You should have asked him to show you the law/regulation that says only "hunting rifles" can be used at the range.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Was this a full fleged WCO or one of the "highly trainied" deputies????

You should have asked him to show you the law/regulation that says only "hunting rifles" can be used at the range.

Not sure, his badge was silver in color if that means anything. And yes i should have asked him to show me that law/reg. However, i was getting off with no fine and didnt want to push my luck.

Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Franklin County)

No offense, but this is why you should follow the rules when using these types of facilities. Now you're left with a situation where you were unable to refute a line of BS, out of fear of retribution for a real violation that you committed.

If you had only been loading three rounds, and had the same encounter, you'd have been able to call his bluff without worrying if it would cost you to do so.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    No offense, but this is why you should follow the rules when using these types of facilities. Now you're left with a situation where you were unable to refute a line of BS, out of fear of retribution for a real violation that you committed.

If you had only been loading three rounds, and had the same encounter, you'd have been able to call his bluff without worrying if it would cost you to do so.
    Please explain to me how to full function test a 30 round magazine by only loading 3 rounds... Other than testing new mags i've always followed the 3 round rule.

You could go to a range where more than three in the rifle is permitted.
    Jules

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    You could go to a range where more than three in the rifle is permitted.
    Jules

I have yet to find one within a reasonable driving distance and/or doesnt cost a rediculous amount of money to join. If you know of a place near State College thats within 10 minute drive that meets this criteria let me know please.

(Montgomery County)

I have yet to find one within a reasonable driving distance and/or doesnt cost a rediculous amount of money to join. If you know of a place near State College thats within 10 minute drive that meets this criteria let me know please.

well, yer choices here are find a range that allows more than 3 rds, or pay a $150 fine for firing over three rounds at a SGL range.

$150 plus fees is what a buddy got ticketed for this very violation.

and they can charge ya PER incident seen, so if ya do it 5 times....ouch

follow the rules, and no problems from the idiot fishcop.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Please explain to me how to full function test a 30 round magazine by only loading 3 rounds... Other than testing new mags i've always followed the 3 round rule.
    It's not the responsibility of the rest of the world to provide you the answer to your needs, that's up to you and each other free citizen. You can't load more than 3 rounds in your AR mag at the SGL range, it's as simple as that. If you can't figure out a legal way to achieve your goal, then you aren't going to achieve your goal. You don't become entitled to break the law just because you want what you want.

This concept of entitlement bothers me in other ways, so forgive me for a short rant: Sometimes I'll see someone arrive at an event late, after all the legal parking spaces are taken, so they'll block in a few legally-parked folks by just stopping their car in an illegal spot. When confronted, they invariably whine "where was I supposed to park?" The answer to that is, not here. You can't always get what you want, and if you arrive too late to get a parking space, then you aren't parking, and maybe you aren't attending that event.

Even Americans are not always entitled to do whatever they want, wherever they want. Sometimes arriving late will cost you. Sometimes using the nearby free range means you can't test out your 30-rounders, or check the spread of your buckshot, or plink at tin cans.

That being said, just go buy 27 snap caps or plastic dummies, and try the live rounds at top, bottom and middle. That will tell you all you need to know about the spring and the follower and the feed lips. Or go join a range with different rules.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post

I wholeheartedly agree with gnbrotz. Had you been following the letter of the law and the man laid down the line of jive on you, you could have easily(and without worry) corrected this man, or asked him to show you where its written that says only hunting related firearms are allowed . We all know he was full of shit in saying that, but since you essentially were in violation, you had no leg to stand on from a rebuttal standpoint. Yes, you did the right thing by not pushing things, but by violating the law you have now also brought scrutiny upon yourself, and next time you'd better believe big brother will be watching every move you make.

This reminds me of the time I was at the French Creek range and was shooting my .357. I shot three rounds, reloaded ,shot three more, reloaded, and shot three more. Suddenly a game warden who I did not know was there approached me and began to scold me about the three shot rule. Knowing I had done nothing wrong I got a little beligerent and told him in no uncertain terms that he was wrong and that I was obeying the law and if he was really watching me he'd have noticed I had 9 empy cases on my table, that's three time three! He still tried to reprimand me and mentioned something about a warning, to which I replied "warning for what, I did nothing wrong". I then told him he'd better get his facts straight before hassling someone or he'd next be speaking to my lawyer. I think he then reallized he was mistaken because he immediately walked away. If I am right I will stand up for my rights. If wrong as in your case there isn't much you can do but be thankful the guy let you go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast