Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default CMP greenlighted by Congress to sell surplus M1911A1s

I couldn't find this posted anywhere, if it is, sorry and mods can delete. I see the House passed a new bill mandating transfer of all US Army M1911 Handguns to CMP. Any thoughts or knowledge on whether it will go quickly in the Senate or die ? I would love to see CMP get them so I could get a chance to get another one or two
    Wish nationwide recip. would move as quickly !!!!
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; July 27th, 2017 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Edited title to clarify subject of OP.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: CMP

Pretty sure it's going to happen and hopefully soon ("soon" being a relative term when government is involved; maybe in the next 12-18 months?). And the 10,000/year limit was removed supposedly, which means there may not be a 1-per-year limit like they originally proposed since they could have up to 100,000 to sell. Some have already been delivered to Anniston. I have my order form and related paperwork ready to go!

P.S. Hope this doesn't degrade into a train wreck like most threads about "worn out, overpriced, beat up, 1911s" do here.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I couldn't find this posted anywhere, if it is, sorry and mods can delete. I see the House passed a new bill mandating transfer of all US Army M1911 Handguns to CMP. Any thoughts or knowledge on whether it will go quickly in the Senate or die ? I would love to see CMP get them so I could get a chance to get another one or two
    Wish nationwide recip. would move as quickly !!!!
    Given your proclivity for buying, you should cut out the middleman. Just buy a lot 10,000 units from Uncle Sam. You can keep the best 5000 and sell the rest.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

I think it's going to happen too. Even the original legislation was passed under Obama. I wonder how it's going to work, I know the rifles they mail directly to you, but will handguns have to be sent to an FFL? I could see this really slowing down the process. I was sad to hear the director of CMP state a few years ago that he expected prices to start around $1,000. I know what they are and what the street value is but that just seems pretty steep, especially given the number of high quality commercial 1911's made today for far less money.

(Cumberland County)

Hopefully they will accept C&R I would have expected a bit less than $1,000 but that price is not a deal breaker for sure. My only concern is that I am no expert on them. I currently own a non re-arsenal one in great shape with correct grips and mag made in 1918 - I don't know if it's worth $1,200, $1,500, or more ? Looking forward to seeing price and quality of what they get!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    I think it's going to happen too. Even the original legislation was passed under Obama. I wonder how it's going to work, I know the rifles they mail directly to you, but will handguns have to be sent to an FFL? I could see this really slowing down the process. I was sad to hear the director of CMP state a few years ago that he expected prices to start around $1,000. I know what they are and what the street value is but that just seems pretty steep, especially given the number of high quality commercial 1911's made today for far less money.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    I wonder how it's going to work, I know the rifles they mail directly to you, but will handguns have to be sent to an FFL? I could see this really slowing down the process. I was sad to hear the director of CMP state a few years ago that he expected prices to start around $1,000. I know what they are and what the street value is but that just seems pretty steep, especially given the number of high quality commercial 1911's made today for far less money.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Hopefully they will accept C&R I would have expected a bit less than $1,000 but that price is not a deal breaker for sure. My only concern is that I am no expert on them. I currently own a non re-arsenal one in great shape with correct grips and mag made in 1918 - I don't know if it's worth $1,200, $1,500, or more ? Looking forward to seeing price and quality of what they get!
    Pretty sure the CMP guys said they won't ship them to a C&R which sucks. I could be wrong about that but even if they do require an 01, the little extra hassle and extra $20 won't be much of a deterrent to sales. I'll buy one (or two) to have a CMP example.

And yes, they floated a starting price of $1,000. Here's the thing though (and this is also where this thread will probably take a turn for the crapper): there is no consistent supply of USGI 1911s or 1911A1s that can be had for less than $1,000. Can you find one here or there at a LGS for that price? Sure. But the vast majority of rebuilt mixmasters start at $1,200 on the street and it's more common to see them at $1,300 and up. And they don't have a CMP certificate. So just like how the CMP sells Garands for $730 that immediately get resold for $950, so will they sell 1911s at $1,000 that will immediately get resold for $1,200+. There is no comparison between the value of these and commercial 1911s any more than there can be a comparison between a 1903A3 and a Remington 700.

Keep in mind that anything good - rare parts or mostly correct guns - will go to auction as they should; why sell a mostly correct '43 Colt for $1,000 when it's worth $1,800 and maybe even $2,800 knowing how nuts their auctions get? And since the 100,000 they're expecting to get represents only around 5% of the total made for WWII (not even counting WWI production), it probably won't lower street prices much even if they all get sold at $1,000 each.

Cruzans, this release likely won't affect the value of your correct 1918 at all. Might even help by increasing awareness and demand. I'm certainly not worried about the value of my original pieces. BTW, if you'd like to email me pictures I'd be happy to give you my opinion of value or help in any way if I can.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks! I'll shoot you some pics. Appreciate it. I just hope I don't miss out when and if they receive the first batch !

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Pretty sure the CMP guys said they won't ship them to a C&R which sucks. I could be wrong about that but even if they do require an 01, the little extra hassle and extra $20 won't be much of a deterrent to sales. I'll buy one (or two) to have a CMP example.

And yes, they floated a starting price of $1,000. Here's the thing though (and this is also where this thread will probably take a turn for the crapper): there is no consistent supply of USGI 1911s or 1911A1s that can be had for less than $1,000. Can you find one here or there at a LGS for that price? Sure. But the vast majority of rebuilt mixmasters start at $1,200 on the street and it's more common to see them at $1,300 and up. And they don't have a CMP certificate. So just like how the CMP sells Garands for $730 that immediately get resold for $950, so will they sell 1911s at $1,000 that will immediately get resold for $1,200+. There is no comparison between the value of these and commercial 1911s any more than there can be a comparison between a 1903A3 and a Remington 700.

Keep in mind that anything good - rare parts or mostly correct guns - will go to auction as they should; why sell a mostly correct '43 Colt for $1,000 when it's worth $1,800 and maybe even $2,800 knowing how nuts their auctions get? And since the 100,000 they're expecting to get represents only around 5% of the total made for WWII (not even counting WWI production), it probably won't lower street prices much even if they all get sold at $1,000 each.

Cruzans, this release likely won't affect the value of your correct 1918 at all. Might even help by increasing awareness and demand. I'm certainly not worried about the value of my original pieces. BTW, if you'd like to email me pictures I'd be happy to give you my opinion of value or help in any way if I can.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Yes the price is high. And there are commercial variants new for less money. But you are buying history. I would like to see the price be half that so more people can apply. But the CMP is a business and they know it will be a quick sell out. It is like the Bureau of Printing and Engraving that sells collector notes or the US Mint selling certain coins. They all have a premium and they figure what the market will bear.

They will sell them all asking $1000 each I am sure. I know that I want one.

(Chester County)

Here's the link: https://lewrockwell.com/2017/07/no_a...surplus-1911s/

World War II Military Surplus 1911’s Coming To Store Shelves?

Brock Simmons Jul 20th, 2017 10:30 pm 138 Comments

The Civilian Marksmanship Program may be getting thousands of WWII era M1911 pistols to sell to the public. This is courtesy of a clause in the 2018 NDAA bill, HR 2810, which has passed the House, and directs the Secretary Of Defense to approve the transfer.

The Firearm Blog reports:

The United States House of Representatives has just passed their version of the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), and included within it is a provision that will mandate the release of all M1911 handguns currently in US Army inventory to the Civilian Marksmanship Program, for distribution to eligible US civilians. The new bill would overwrite the 2016 NDAA, which allowed for the release of 10,000 of the pistols, but did not mandate it. The text of Section 1064 of the 2018 NDAA is as follows:

SEC. 1064. TRANSFER OF SURPLUS FIREARMS TO CORPORATION FOR THE PROMOTION OF RIFLE PRACTICE AND FIREARMS SAFETY.
    (a) In General.—Section 40728(h) of title 36, United States Code, is amended—

(1) by striking “(1) Subject to paragraph (2), the Secretary may transfer” and inserting “The Secretary shall transfer”;

(2) by striking “The Secretary shall determine a reasonable schedule for the transfer of such surplus pistols.”; and

(3) by striking paragraph (2).

(b) Termination Of Pilot Program.—Section 1087 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016 (Public Law 114–92; 129 Stat. 1012) is amended by striking subsections (b) and (c).

This is a modification of the 2016 NDAA, which Obama signed, which granted the sale of the classic sidearm, but did not mandate it. The 2016 version also limited the number of annual transfers to 10,000. Of course none were actually transferred.

Ammoland adds:

This year’s language, however, would effectively make the transfers mandatory and would remove the yearly cap. Currently, the military has some 100,000 excess 1911s sitting in storage at taxpayer expense. Transfer of these historically-significant firearms would ease a burden on the government’s heavily indebted balance sheet and help preserve important artifacts from the era when the U.S. military defended Western Civilization from worldwide fascism and aggressive Communist expansion.

The CMP’s sales of 1911s would be treated as other retail sales under the federal Gun Control Act, including the attendant background checks and point of sale record keeping. The design of the pistols dates back to the late 19th Century, and they come equipped with a seven-round magazine. One would think this would render the sales harmless in the eyes of the “reasonable gun safety regulation” crowd, but we’re not holding our breath.

But there is still action to be taken. If the Senate’s version of the NDAA does not include this language, then it may be struck during the conference committee, where leaders from both chambers meet to resolve the differences between their 2 versions.
    - bamboomaster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast