Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: CMP

I got a pistol expert badge with my issued POS 1911 that I wouldn't pay more than $300 for and that would be for sentimental value...you want it for a grand knock yourself out. The officers I served under bought new or like my XO built their own because the .45s were so worn out...early/mid 80s USMC LeJeune maybe they were in better shape elsewhere God knows our gear was bottom of the line back then...
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Lancaster County)

Maybe this will attract enough people that it will draw them off the Garands for a while so I can get one at a lower price...
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

I'm not knocking the CMP but there is some part of me that's disheartened to see them move from a business model of "price guns for average people to afford and shoot" to "sell guns at collector item prices to increase revenue". Even those Garand prices keep going up and up. My grandfather said that he bought a M1 carbine back in the 60's or 70's for $50. He said it didn't shoot worth a damn, so he sent it back and got his money refunded. hahaha how I'd like to have that gun today(junk or not)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    I'm not knocking the CMP but there is some part of me that's disheartened to see them move from a business model of "price guns for average people to afford and shoot" to "sell guns at collector item prices to increase revenue". Even those Garand prices keep going up and up. My grandfather said that he bought a M1 carbine back in the 60's or 70's for $50. He said it didn't shoot worth a damn, so he sent it back and got his money refunded. hahaha how I'd like to have that gun today(junk or not)
    See that's a classic example of why they can't win no matter what they do. I can buy a brand new Auto Ordnance 1911 for under $400. If they price these GI returns at that price so the "average person" could afford them, people would buy them just to resell at a 300% markup. If they price them at anything close to street value people will complain that they gouging and making them "unaffordable". No way to make everyone happy.

What would help is if each person could only buy one or two of them instead of a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Maybe this will attract enough people that it will draw them off the Garands for a while so I can get one at a lower price...
    Would be nice. Maybe you have a better chance of getting all the shit together, mailed and processed before they are all bought out.

(Berks County)

Bring back some sort of DCM limits. 1 every other year at XX price. Send some to auction and let the market sort it out for those.

I think it's going to happen too. Even the original legislation was passed under Obama. I wonder how it's going to work, I know the rifles they mail directly to you, but will handguns have to be sent to an FFL? I could see this really slowing down the process. I was sad to hear the director of CMP state a few years ago that he expected prices to start around $1,000. I know what they are and what the street value is but that just seems pretty steep, especially given the number of high quality commercial 1911's made today for far less money.
    Not sure why they would have to be sent to an FFL when it is the CMP. Never heard that and I am not sure that the CMP would even have that info yet. It seems it still will be a long time before they are actually up for sale. I have a C&R FFL like many have that deal with the CMP but not sure why I would have to have it to have such a gun shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    Not sure why they would have to be sent to an FFL when it is the CMP. Never heard that and I am not sure that the CMP would even have that info yet. It seems it still will be a long time before they are actually up for sale. I have a C&R FFL like many have that deal with the CMP but not sure why I would have to have it to have such a gun shipped.
    I'm just curious because in PA virtually all handguns transfers need to go through an FFL. Also you're not permitted to purchase a handgun out of state, it must be shipped to an FFL.

(Montgomery County)

I'm just curious because in PA virtually all handguns transfers need to go through an FFL. Also you're not permitted to purchase a handgun out of state, it must be shipped to an FFL.
    Actually if you have an FFL 03 and the handgun is 50 years and 1 day old (verifiable by serial number or original sales receipt) or is on the ATF C&R List, you can purchase it directly online or even face to face if out of PA, and have it shipped to you. Does not work with CA, NJ, WA?, NY? and a couple of other states, but for over 40 of the 50, it is not any problem. If you are at an out of PA gun show or gun shop, pawn shop with your FFL03, then can pick up immediately, except for the states listed earlier. Sometimes an FFL01 will not recognize the FFL03; if so leave. Dave_n

(Jefferson County)

A C&R License IS a FFL. ...just one for collecting, not to do business.

With a C&R FFL you can purchase firearms(handgun/long gun) face to face, even in other states - so long as that other state doesn't prohibit that act, or regulate it further.

C&R firearms are minimum of 50 years old from present date. Or have been certified on the official C&R list. C&R firearms also have to be in reasonably original condition as well. A sporterized M1903 or Mauser rifle pretty much gets classified as a GCA firearm, but ones in original condition would be C&R.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast