Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Granddad must give up 2A rights to foster grandson

I could use a little illumination too.
    I also tend to agree with, if it doesn't violate the forum's rules, then fuck any snowflake that melts due to any comment.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
    Not trying to throw a bucket of water on this fire, but the judge in this case and an eventual appeals court could uphold the HHS mandate for the simple reason that it did not prevent the Grandfather from owning, buying, or possessing guns. They simply required the serial numbers of the guns and "safe" storage. Now does it suck and is it an infringement? I think definitely yes. But there are a whole lot of Leftist activist morons on the bench who would think otherwise and rule that the man's 2A Rights were not violated despite what was said by the HHS employees and judge. This may have to eventually go to SCOTUS and then we have to pray that Anthony Kennedy is either replaced by then, or he somehow decides to vote with the conservatives on the court.
    I think the better angle is as a 4A violation. Requiring them to provide the information is a search. The next question would then be "what is the rational basis for HHS needing this information?" & "How does HHS knowing it enhance them accomplishing their mission?"..

Another question I have is, why are the grandparents being considered "foster parents".. I may be wrong, but I believe grandparents (other disqualifiers notwithstanding) are the de jure guardians of minor children if the parents die (or become incapacitated) intestate . In other words, as I understand it, (for instance) if both parents die in an automobile accident, and they don't have a will directing custody, the grandparents automatically take custody of the children... Any lawyers want to weigh in on this?

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by elweasel View Post
    I have not been that active in the forums recently. What light of recent events? Did something happen? Were there changes to the forum rules?
    Not talking about "Forum Rules", but the recent shooting at the Congressional Softball event. Discussing executing your political enemies in light of that tragic event is just bad form even if joking, and is not something anyone should want to have a record of discussing for all to see, in my opinion.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyVet View Post
    I think the better angle is as a 4A violation. Requiring them to provide the information is a search. The next question would then be "what is the rational basis for HHS needing this information?" & "How does HHS knowing it enhance them accomplishing their mission?"..

Another question I have is, why are the grandparents being considered "foster parents".. I may be wrong, but I believe grandparents (other disqualifiers notwithstanding) are the de jure guardians of minor children if the parents die (or become incapacitated) intestate . In other words, as I understand it, (for instance) if both parents die in an automobile accident, and they don't have a will directing custody, the grandparents automatically take custody of the children... Any lawyers want to weigh in on this?
    I realize different states do things different ways, but Michigan has some serious problems if they are willing to place a child outside of the home of a family member without cause. It is interesting that Michigan considers this "foster care."
    ...and they have a plan...

(Berks County)

I realize I'm a little late to this discussion however this topic is interesting to me because me an my wife are foster parents in pa and the rules are exactly the same as Michigan's in this case. We are not doing kinship however the rules for the agency we go through are the same as far as firearms for kinship as well as non kinship. Now we go through a non-government agency so I believe that is how they get away with it. Before being licensed for foster care you are required to give them a list of firearms along with serial numbers and prove that they are locked up in a separate room/container from any ammunition. You also have to sign a paper stating that while around any foster children you will not have firearms in there presence as well as not carry any. They do make exceptions for LEO but that's it. In my research just about every state and private foster placement agency has the exact same rules in place. From what Ive researched the way private agencies get away with it is that there is no legal penalties for violating this rule, they will just take the foster kids from you and ban you from any further foster kids. I'm not going to go into my opinion on this on a public forum so don't ask. This is meant purely as an informational post on what is currently happening not only in pa but also across the nation.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by cavscout09 View Post
    I realize I'm a little late to this discussion however this topic is interesting to me because me an my wife are foster parents in pa and the rules are exactly the same as Michigan's in this case. We are not doing kinship however the rules for the agency we go through are the same as far as firearms for kinship as well as non kinship. Now we go through a non-government agency so I believe that is how they get away with it. Before being licensed for foster care you are required to give them a list of firearms along with serial numbers and prove that they are locked up in a separate room/container from any ammunition. You also have to sign a paper stating that while around any foster children you will not have firearms in there presence as well as not carry any. They do make exceptions for LEO but that's it. In my research just about every state and private foster placement agency has the exact same rules in place. From what Ive researched the way private agencies get away with it is that there is no legal penalties for violating this rule, they will just take the foster kids from you and ban you from any further foster kids. I'm not going to go into my opinion on this on a public forum so don't ask. This is meant purely as an informational post on what is currently happening not only in pa but also across the nation.
    Thanks for the information. I won't ask you to say anything further.

That said:

Whiskey
    Tango
    Foxtrot

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by cavscout09 View Post
    Do these foster agencies then guarantee the safety of the children to be protected if you are unable to considering you not being able to quickly access a firearm?
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Do these foster agencies then guarantee the safety of the children to be protected if you are unable to considering you not being able to quickly access a firearm?
    You know that is not possible. Just like the police guaranteeing your safety.

IMO the children that need fostering have bigger issues that have to be addressed and I applaud Cavscout09 for what he and his wife do. I am sure it is not easy, especially what some of these kids have been through.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123