Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: used brass?

(Lancaster County)

Default used brass?

Are there gun stores that take used brass and give ya cash for it,i have in my posession quite a few boxes of spent 9mm cartridges around and the only reason i kept them was i was wondering if theres anybody that is willing to pay for some spent brass (gun shop),and if you can are there are you supposed t o clean the brass first(and also do you have to remove the primers first or can you deliver them to with the used primers still in the casings)

thanks

Triggerh4ppy
    Gott mit uns

(Centre County)

Default Re: used brass?

I'd just count em, bag em, and throw em up on ebay. You'll probably get a little bit more for it without having to leave your house.

And i've never know anyone that did not take once-fired brass that still had its primers. Also, when you say used brass it typically implies used hard, if its only been fired once name it Once-Fired then it would actually sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Berks County)

I have traded and bought for brass that hadn't been deprimed, with ammo prices going up all the time, 9mm is getting economical to reload also.

Heck, bag it and post in for sale or trade in the marketplace here, someone may make you an offer on it.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Tioga County)

I have sold a lot of once fired brass on forums like this. Mostly on TFL. I would just box it up in USPS flat rate priority boxes. It was the cheapest way I could find to send it. 4000 rounds of 9mm is about 35 pounds. This was all WWB brass the fact that is was all once fired and all one brand made it sell well along with the bulk that made buying it more cost effective shipping costs can kill you. The only time I would do anything to it is if it got exceptionally dirty. I got all that brass because the local LEO school used our range and I was the go to guy ( Club Chief Instructor). Proceeds went to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerh4ppy View Post
    Are there gun stores that take used brass and give ya cash for it,i have in my posession quite a few boxes of spent 9mm cartridges around and the only reason i kept them was i was wondering if theres anybody that is willing to pay for some spent brass (gun shop),and if you can are there are you supposed t o clean the brass first(and also do you have to remove the primers first or can you deliver them to with the used primers still in the casings)

thanks

Triggerh4ppy

(Bucks County)

Most shooting ranges collect the spent shells and scrap vendors will come to the range to pick up the brass, some vendors will even bid on the ranges brass.

This past week, I took a 5 gallon bucket to the scrap yard and took home $94, it was classified as "yellow brass", I think there is also "red brass" which pays more.

Call around to the scrap yards to get prices, tell them what you have and cash in. We will likely use the cash for our range membership. It took about 9 months to save up the bucket full, shooting once a week, well worth the effort...Mike45

(York County)

Well if you are looking to sell it, make sure that it has a boxer primer, if it is a berdan primer it isn't reloadable. I had some given to me to reload and when I checked they were berdan primers. Now they are waiting to go to the scrap yard.

To check which type just look inside the case, on the bottom you should see a single hole in the center, this is good, it is a boxer primer

If you see 2 holes, this is bad(not reloadable), this is a berdan primer.

Ok, How many cases do you have and how much?
    Also are they brass or nickel?