Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: How would you feel if your FFL...

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Do you honestly feel that the govt. has a winning case against joe blow FFL for illegally trafficing in unregistered SBRs for not physically applying a wrench and a reasonable (by whos standard, btw) amount of force to every single allegedly pinned 14.5" bbl rifle that enters his shop?
    Yes. Ignorance is not a valid excuse when dealing with ATF.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    Like that would ever happen...
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...abiding-uncle/
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Indiana County)

Maybe in the best interest of that particular FFL, he should refuse any shipment of any gun that could possibly be an NFA item.

What would he have done if the flashhider had spun off?
    He'd now be in possession of an unregistered NFA firearm...

I think it'd be best if he just didn't accept any outside guns just to be safe...

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Maybe in the best interest of that particular FFL, he should refuse any shipment of any gun that could possibly be an NFA item.

What would he have done if the flashhider had spun off?
    He'd now be in possession of an unregistered NFA firearm...

I think it'd be best if he just didn't accept any outside guns just to be safe...
    Actually, that's not a mystery. If he found out that he'd received an NFA firearm, he can call ATF and surrender it. He's legally bulletproof then. The buyer has recourse against the seller. The seller is on his own, for failing to do the due diligence that saved the receiving dealer's butt.

I'm sure the FFL is thankful for all the business advice from people who don't share his risks or even run a similar business.

(Perry County)

I'm foregoing the sale of my consecutive set of Colt M45A1s because the potential buyer said some things that made it clear it would be straw purchase territory. No prohibited people, but not actual buyer receiving both pistols. That's $7200 for the two pistols that I won't have in my pocket because I don't want to run afoul of the BATFE.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

I would hope the FFL would be more thankful for the customer service advice and perhaps handle it differently in the future.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I would hope the FFL would be more thankful for the customer service advice and perhaps handle it differently in the future.
    Honestly, you can't let customers dictate your compliance with Federal law.

The rifle comes in, he opens it up, he wonders "Is this barrel long enough? Is the muzzle device permanently attached?" He would like to find out BEFORE he enters the thing into his A&D book.

So he calls the buyer. Leaves a message. Time passes. No call back. He's legally required to enter it into his book.

If 100 customers out of 5,000 have hiccups in their transferred-in guns, some percentage of them are not going to cooperate in a timely manner to resolve the questions. As a business policy, you just can't let strangers control how you obey Federal law. ATF doesn't give you any free mistakes, they want perfection. Having "only one or two" unregistered NFA firearms on site is not OK. The FFL needs to resolve the question RFN.

That rifle is going out one of two ways: As a Title I gun to the buyer; or as contraband to the cops. It's not really a legal option to identify it as contraband and then ship it back to the sender (trust me on this, you don't want to take control of contraband that way; I received counterfeit DVD's once, and they wanted me to ship them back; nope. They got tossed. Phil don't ship contraband goods using the US mails. Got my refund another way.).

(Bucks County)

Gunlawyer's posts on the subject are spot on.
    I have had similar circumstances crop up in my shop.

If I couldn't arrange to have you in the shop to inspect the rifle within the log in time frame, I'm putting a wrench on it and dealing with your butthurt later.
    I don't hold unopened packages for customers, either. The firearms get logged in the evening of the day they were delivered.
    Heavens to Murgatoyd, I unsealed your package so I could record the serial number and you weren't present.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Honestly, you can't let customers dictate your compliance with Federal law.

The rifle comes in, he opens it up, he wonders "Is this barrel long enough? Is the muzzle device permanently attached?" He would like to find out BEFORE he enters the thing into his A&D book.

So he calls the buyer. Leaves a message. Time passes. No call back. He's legally required to enter it into his book.

If 100 customers out of 5,000 have hiccups in their transferred-in guns, some percentage of them are not going to cooperate in a timely manner to resolve the questions. As a business policy, you just can't let strangers control how you obey Federal law. ATF doesn't give you any free mistakes, they want perfection. Having "only one or two" unregistered NFA firearms on site is not OK. The FFL needs to resolve the question RFN.

That rifle is going out one of two ways: As a Title I gun to the buyer; or as contraband to the cops. It's not really a legal option to identify it as contraband and then ship it back to the sender (trust me on this, you don't want to take control of contraband that way; I received counterfeit DVD's once, and they wanted me to ship them back; nope. They got tossed. Phil don't ship contraband goods using the US mails. Got my refund another way.).

Nobody is suggesting he give up all...

oh, nevermind. You're focused one thing and making it into some big mountain of doom, and I'm talking about basic courtesy.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    IMO, "reasonable" would involve looking for a weld or pin. *Possibly* hand-holding the rifle and trying a wrench if neither is found. Going to a vice is too far.
    My 2¢
    I honestly don't get everyone's issue here. Clearly the FFL was trying to be sure that they were following the law, nothing more. As others have pointed out, welds can be faked, and how does the FFL know that the dealer didn't just follow the legal advice of everyone here and visually inspect for a weld?

He used a reaction rod, a tool designed for torquing on a barrel without pressure on the index pin, put some torque on it to ensure that it was in compliance. And then delivered it damage free to the customer.

I'm far from a professional gunsmith and my muzzle devices aren't budging with hand pressure alone. Using the proper tools for the job seems like the right thing to do... but then again I'm not a lawyer. I wonder what a lawyer would say on the topic...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast