Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Re: How would you feel if your FFL...

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I took the rifle home yesterday evening, and I am very happy with it. I will probably clean it thoroughly this evening or tomorrow, and Sunday I hope to have it at the range.

I did inspect it thoroughly at the shop. Nothing appears obviously busted. I may or may not pull the barrel and have a better look.

I will likely deal with a different FFL in the future. I still do not think he was right to go to tye extent he did to verify the status of the muzzle device.

In my opinion, a factory rifle (albeit used) transferred from a known vendor he has dealt with before, with an obviously purposefully longer muzzle device, can be assumed to be permanently affixed.

Certainly I dont think he was in the right to put a wrench on it. I do not believe that is his job. Like someone else said, does he also fire every weapon to ensure they arent capable of full auto? Obviously not.
    If it had the multiple bullet pictogram and three position selector, damn straight I would.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Tioga County)

It's pretty simple to me, the FFL should have brought in the customer before trying to rip the gun apart or cause damage to it.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    If it had the multiple bullet pictogram and three position selector, damn straight I would.
    So you think its reasonable to assume every 14.5" barreled AR with an extended muzzle break is an unregistered SBR?

Are you ok with locking factory new rifles into a vise as well?

So you think its reasonable to assume every 14.5" barreled AR with an extended muzzle break is an unregistered SBR?

It's more reasonable than assuming that all 14.5" barreled AR's that someone asks you to run through your books are not contraband.

In this case, the FFL assumed neither.

He checked it out. If he damaged the gun by roughly slapping it into a vise, then he's liable for that; but he's smart to risk that instead of risking loss of license and a felony conviction.

Any FFL who trusts 100% of his customers to never make mistakes and never lie to him, is a moron. Customers do both of those things. Customers bring in grandpa's unregistered Thompson and ask "what's this worth"? Customers get denied by PICS and are genuinely surprised. Customers shoplift. Customers scope out a shop for later robberies.

A small percentage of customers will do something that could get the FFL in trouble, and none of them wear special armbands that say "DON'T TRUST ME". So the wise FFL covers his own ass by being careful and by knowing the laws, even when customers become irate over demands that they show a DL and fill out the 4473. And if you don't know that some customers get angry with the FFL over the PICS requirement, then you need to get out more.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Perry County)

I think it's reasonable to verify that they aren't. His way was not reasonable without your permission. As I said, I would have put it back on you to provide proof that it met ATF regulations, given me permission to satisfactorily determine on my own that it was legal, or sent it back to the shipping FFL if neither of those things happened. As GL explained, it's his livelihood and possibly his freedom on the line. Your happiness with his service is minimal compared to that.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Lancaster County)

I have to wonder if this guy does it with every single 14.5" carbine that comes in, whether it's from his regular inventory or a sale like the OP's?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I have to wonder if this guy does it with every single 14.5" carbine that comes in, whether it's from his regular inventory or a sale like the OP's?
    If I buy a pinned and welded barrel, upper or rifle from a reliable source, say BCM, then I'd assume it was done per regulation. That source has even more riding on doing things the right way than I do.

On the other hand, if I had a gun coming in from a private party then I would need more to satisfy myself that I'm in compliance. Anybody can buy a 14.5 barrel and turn a flash hider on it. It's still an SBR unless that person complied with the regs.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    If I buy a pinned and welded barrel, upper or rifle from a reliable source, say BCM, then I'd assume it was done per regulation. That source has even more riding on doing things the right way than I do.

On the other hand, if I had a gun coming in from a private party then I would need more to satisfy myself that I'm in compliance. Anybody can buy a 14.5 barrel and turn a flash hider on it. It's still an SBR unless that person complied with the regs.
    From what the OP says, this sounds like it came from a reputable source/brand, but he actually hasn't stated that.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    The question I have is did he previously run across an illegal 14.5 inch gun, thus is especially sensitive to the hazard?
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It's more reasonable than assuming that all 14.5" barreled AR's that someone asks you to run through your books are not contraband.

In this case, the FFL assumed neither.

He checked it out. If he damaged the gun by roughly slapping it into a vise, then he's liable for that; but he's smart to risk that instead of risking loss of license and a felony conviction.

Any FFL who trusts 100% of his customers to never make mistakes and never lie to him, is a moron. Customers do both of those things. Customers bring in grandpa's unregistered Thompson and ask "what's this worth"? Customers get denied by PICS and are genuinely surprised. Customers shoplift. Customers scope out a shop for later robberies.

A small percentage of customers will do something that could get the FFL in trouble, and none of them wear special armbands that say "DON'T TRUST ME". So the wise FFL covers his own ass by being careful and by knowing the laws, even when customers become irate over demands that they show a DL and fill out the 4473. And if you don't know that some customers get angry with the FFL over the PICS requirement, then you need to get out more.
    An FFL should treat all customers as potential lying cheating criminals, got it.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast