Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: How would you feel if your FFL...

Quote Originally Posted by swack View Post
    I honestly don't get everyone's issue here. Clearly the FFL was trying to be sure that they were following the law, nothing more. As others have pointed out, welds can be faked, and how does the FFL know that the dealer didn't just follow the legal advice of everyone here and visually inspect for a weld?

He used a reaction rod, a tool designed for torquing on a barrel without pressure on the index pin, put some torque on it to ensure that it was in compliance. And then delivered it damage free to the customer.

I'm far from a professional gunsmith and my muzzle devices aren't budging with hand pressure alone. Using the proper tools for the job seems like the right thing to do... but then again I'm not a lawyer. I wonder what a lawyer would say on the topic...
    Read a few post up and you can see. Gun lawyer is a lawyer.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Read a few post up and you can see. Gun lawyer is a lawyer.
    I think he was being a smart ass.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Gunlawyer's posts on the subject are spot on.
    I have had similar circumstances crop up in my shop.

If I couldn't arrange to have you in the shop to inspect the rifle within the log in time frame, I'm putting a wrench on it and dealing with your butthurt later.
    I don't hold unopened packages for customers, either. The firearms get logged in the evening of the day they were delivered.
    Heavens to Murgatoyd, I unsealed your package so I could record the serial number and you weren't present.
    Nothing complicated about this, GL's posts, or UJ's posts.

And, IANAL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Delaware County)

I think you are onto something...Afterall, we are talking about an inch and a half...who wouldn't want to add another inch and a half to their barrel. Doesn't a longer barrel make your rifle more appealing, make you a better shooter...give you an advantage over others with "shorter" barrels? Good thing we aren't talking about a HBAR....that, in itself, is a completely different story...Glad they aren't checking our barrels for girth...

And I thought all barrels were created equal...

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    I think you are onto something...Afterall, we are talking about an inch and a half...who wouldn't want to add another inch and a half to their barrel. Doesn't a longer barrel make your rifle more appealing, make you a better shooter...give you an advantage over others with "shorter" barrels? Good thing we aren't talking about a HBAR....that, in itself, is a completely different story...Glad they aren't checking our barrels for girth...

And I thought all barrels were created equal...

Size matters, at least back in '34.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Here is my thing. Have any of you tried to remove a muzzle device that was set in place with rockset? First time I tried I swore I was going to break the damn gun. I don't know what kind of force they wanted to see to justify that it was pinned and welded but if it is more than what rockset requires I would be very upset that they were torquing on the gun without me present.

Long story short the FFL should have called to see if the customer would have rather sent it back or other options. Let's face it wrenching on an MD is a little extreme for a transfer. I agree the FFL needs to use their judgment on most typical transfers; this was far from typical.

Quote Originally Posted by duqjeep2010 View Post
    Here is my thing. Have any of you tried to remove a muzzle device that was set in place with rockset? First time I tried I swore I was going to break the damn gun. I don't know what kind of force they wanted to see to justify that it was pinned and welded but if it is more than what rockset requires I would be very upset that they were torquing on the gun without me present.

Long story short the FFL should have called to see if the customer would have rather sent it back or other options. Let's face it wrenching on an MD is a little extreme for a transfer. I agree the FFL needs to use their judgment on most typical transfers; this was far from typical.
    If the muzzle device were in fact loosely attached, then it's a crime for the FFL to transfer it back out.

There are very few things that you can legally do with an unregistered SBR. Shipping it cross-country is not among those options.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Check the muzzle device for the weld or braze near the threads. Has the weld and is not loose (try to turn it by hand back and forth) that will tell the FFL what they need to know. Even blind pinned you can tell if you know what you are looking at. Wrenching on shit that isn't yours without permission is just a chance at idiot marks, broken parts and problems with the customer. Though considering some of the people that work at gun shops, they might not have any idea what they are looking at. So the monkey strength test is all they know.
    Last edited by dkf; July 23rd, 2017 at 07:02 PM.

(Washington County)

For what its worth, since posting this I have stripped everything down to parts, (to include pulling the barrel) soaked all small parts in hoppes #9, wiped down receivers and large parts, and reassembled everything to proper torque values.

Today I zeroed the rifle, using the RIBZ method. (Really liking the versatility of the a2 irons, btw.) Everything is functional and good to go. Ran 150 rounds of xm193 between that and one other rifle.

Also, I took a good look at the muzzle device under good lighting, and there are two visible welds.

Pre-range trip photo op: (bushy left / 733 right)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910