Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Indiana County)

Default Home based FFL's opinions

Just a quick post before work looking for some thoughts from you home based FFL's.

My former business partner who I have been still working with for years is calling it quits due to health reasons.

I have decided that due to the lack of a place to even get transfers done locally I am going to get my own FFL again after an almost 20 year lapse.

My questions to you guys who have gotten yours recently is where do you base your business out of?
    My home is a small coal mining town house.
    I do have a small "computer" room that I could use for an office but that would require people coming through my kitchen and such, something I don't want to do.

Do any of you guys use your garage or other outbuilding and if so I suppose the ATF agent that came out had no problems with this?

I plan on doing mostly internet sales and transfers.
    I know the ATF wants regular hours, or do they? I plan on keeping my job for now due to the health insurance and doing this in the evenings and weekends, did anyone have a problem with this?

I do have a line on 150+ surplus guns I have been offered as well as possibly picking up some of the inventory of my buddy.
    I will also be able to get his twice a year gun raffles.
    I know some of the larger wholesalers won't deal with "kitchen table" dealers, but if I go with a garage based space do any of you guys have a positive experience with getting these places to deal with you.
    I have a list of smaller or willing wholesalers already as well as contacts for used guns, I'd just like to be able to get in on the ammo deals that places offer when they do their trade shows.

I know this is a jumble of questions.
    I plan on doing this, the first thing is getting my home equity loan wrapped up, so I'm just picking brains right now.

Useful advice is welcome, I'm mainly concerned about the "office" requirement if any.

If you guys don't want to post out in the open, a PM is fine as well.
    I'm not asking for your business contacts and such, just general thoughts.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Home based FFL's opinions

Of the two home based FFLs I spend time at, one is using the corner of the garage attached to his house and the other is using a room in his basement that has ground level access at the back.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Just a quick post before work looking for some thoughts from you home based FFL's.

My former business partner who I have been still working with for years is calling it quits due to health reasons.

I have decided that due to the lack of a place to even get transfers done locally I am going to get my own FFL again after an almost 20 year lapse.

My questions to you guys who have gotten yours recently is where do you base your business out of?
    I do have a small "computer" room that I could use for an office but that would require people coming through my kitchen and such, something I don't want to do.
    I am literally a kitchen table dealer. My IOI didn't care where in the house it was just wanted to know which portion would be used for business. i.e. Kitchen & a small office for records storage and my inventory. This is the portion they have access to for inspection, and we discussed the display of required items like license & safety posters

Do any of you guys use your garage or other outbuilding and if so I suppose the ATF agent that came out had no problems with this?

I did ask about this in the event that I choose to build/relocate to a detached structure at same address. To be honest I can't exactly remember her answer but it left me with the notion that it would only require updating them.

I know the ATF wants regular hours, or do they? I plan on keeping my job for now due to the health insurance and doing this in the evenings and weekends, did anyone have a problem with this?
    My IOI did not require me to have any particular hours, in fact she worked with me to better answer the question on the application that she had with her. I had originally submitted something to the effect of 12-8 Mon-Wed. She suggested that I put "by appointment only" in the other days to show that they were business days for the purpose of that subsequent handgun purchase rule.

I do have a line on 150+ surplus guns I have been offered as well as possibly picking up some of the inventory of my buddy.
    I know some of the larger wholesalers won't deal with "kitchen table" dealers, but if I go with a garage based space do any of you guys have a positive experience with getting these places to deal with you.
    Right now wholesalers that have accepted my home based status= Zanders, Lipseys, Green Supply, Chattanooga. I'm sure there are others I just don't have any need for them. IIRC the more you can focus your purchases with one distributor the better your relationship can be. I'll be honest- I am not in that tier.

I have a list of smaller or willing wholesalers already as well as contacts for used guns, I'd just like to be able to get in on the ammo deals that places offer when they do their trade shows.

I plan on doing this, the first thing is getting my home equity loan wrapped up, so I'm just picking brains right now.

Useful advice is welcome, I'm mainly concerned about the "office" requirement if any.

HTH
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; July 19th, 2017 at 09:28 AM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post

Do any of you guys use your garage or other outbuilding and if so I suppose the ATF agent that came out had no problems with this? I know several FFL's that use an out building for their business and the ATF was fine with that

I know the ATF wants regular hours, or do they? I plan on keeping my job for now due to the health insurance and doing this in the evenings and weekends, did anyone have a problem with this?Just use those hours on the application form ie,
    M-F 7pm-10pm, S 10am-5pm, S 1pm-5pm

I do have a line on 150+ surplus guns I have been offered as well as possibly picking up some of the inventory of my buddy. Make sure you have secure storage for any of the business guns, ATF will check that
    I know some of the larger wholesalers won't deal with "kitchen table" dealers, but if I go with a garage based space do any of you guys have a positive experience with getting these places to deal with you. As said, Green Supply, Lipseys, Zanders, MidSouth Shooters Supply, Davidsons and others will work with home based FFL's

I have a list of smaller or willing wholesalers already as well as contacts for used guns, I'd just like to be able to get in on the ammo deals that places offer when they do their trade shows. As you look them up on the web, just send them an email (FFL attached) and ask about dealer pricing, you don't have to tell them you are home based unless they ask

Make sure you check your local ordinances to make sure you are allowed to do this and get any permits that are required. Don't forget you have to get the PA License to Sell Firearms from the county sheriff (IIRC $57 for 3 years) Getting that is what gets you into the PICS system with the PSP
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Make sure you check your local ordinances to make sure you are allowed to do this and get any permits that are required. Don't forget you have to get the PA License to Sell Firearms from the county sheriff (IIRC $57 for 3 years) Getting that is what gets you into the PICS system with the PSP
    Yikes, my county was $30/3yr
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Armstrong County)

Zoning gets more people than anything.
    I still had to jump through township hoops and a zoning hearing board meeting and pay $300 hearing fee to be an FFL manufacture...in a building that i have been zoned to manufacturing things in since 1988....anyhow

I run mine out of my office at my woodshop since im there 10-12 hr a day anyway, and i dont want people coming to my home.

Zanders told me to pound sand.
    RSR, Lipsey's, Chattanooga, Grice's work with me with out question.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Indiana County)

Thanks guys.

I figured the internet chatter about licenses being rejected due to not having a "business location" were overblown.

We have no zoning and there was an ordinance passed a couple years back that expressly allows home based businesses as long as there is not a traffic issue.

Hmmm, secure storage area?
    I did plan on making a storage room and will be adding to my home security system so I should have that covered.
    It's odd that the guy that is closing up just has crap piled in corners and has been doing that for two decades.

Again, thanks.

One more thing, anyone using the internet based 4473 with the signature thingy?

(Armstrong County)

Nope, buyer fills out a 4473 and if need be a State handgun form.
    You review them and punch in DL #, select paper form, type in a few bits of info and hit submit. Then wait for the results.
    Once you have those, print out the result page, sign & date the forms, give the new owner their copy of the State form and you're done.
    The nice thing is the multiple person application, you can just keep adding new applicants as you are waiting on the first ones.

I thought about doing the electronic signature pad, but i just never got around to buying one.

One thing to keep in mind is keeping your personal items separate from your business items, and business items properly tagged.
    But this isnt your first rodeo.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Yikes, my county was $30/3yr
    Well, that was 3 years ago. My ATF renewal paperwork went in last Wednesday so I'll find out what the fee is now come September.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member