Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question Eight of Nine or Five of 357 (harder to decide than you might think)

This past year has been a revival for me, firearms wise. In the carry department, I've generally gone with a Glock G30. When I didn't feel like hauling that mass on my belt, I would pocket my S&W 638 which has a nice Kramer pocket holster. I called it, "traveling light".

I decided to downsize from the G30. I got the Ruger LC9s Pro which is really quite nice. Less power to be sure. Also a lot less bulk and weight. Then I learned of the S&W 649 in .357 Magnum. My first firearm ever was a .357 Magnum and I rather like that caliber. So I got it. It's kind of like the 638's bigger sister. It's all steel instead of being an airweight. I was able to upgrade the front sight. I also upgraded the grips. Both Smiths I did trigger jobs too. They have pretty sweet triggers now if I do say so myself.

All this runs me into a rather strange dilemma. The 649 and LC9s are about the same weight. They both conceal about the same with the carry gear I have. I'm a t-shirt and jeans person, so that's saying something. The grips on the 649 are easier to get my hands on. It is a more comfortable hold. .357 Magnum blows away 9x19 +P. The numbers would suggest that the LC9s is the better carry choice because it has three extra rounds. The 649 is more reliable. I haven't had many misfeeds at the range with the LC9s. But I have had a few. I've been told it's user error. Does that really matter?

I'm genuinely torn about which should be my everyday carry. The odds say I will probably never need either in my life time.

Which way would you go and why?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Eight of Nine or Five of 357 (harder to decide than you might think)

9mm for me because it's easier to control and practice with thus better shot placement which makes all the difference.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Berks County)

Default Re: Eight of Nine or Five of 357 (harder to decide than you might think)

Use the one you can consistently put rounds on target with and control. I use a .38 snub as my pocket /summer carry because I can hit with the first and the follow up shots consistently . .357 is hands down the better man stopper but it's no good if you don't hit the man ....

And Merry Christmas !
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fudmottin View Post
    The numbers would suggest that the LC9s is the better carry choice because it has three extra rounds. The 649 is more reliable. I haven't had many misfeeds at the range with the LC9s. But I have had a few. I've been told it's user error. Does that really matter?

I'm genuinely torn about which should be my everyday carry. The odds say I will probably never need either in my life time.

Which way would you go and why?
    There is your answer. I prefer 9MM, but would not carry a gun that malfunctioned, even once in a blue moon. Murphy, and all.

(Luzerne County)

I actually prefer Seven of Nine muselfSeven of N ine.jpg

(Elk County)

There's a coupla things about her that stick out.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er2000 View Post
    I actually prefer Seven of Nine muselfSeven of N ine.jpg
    I'd probably bang that more than a .357.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Butler County)

In a stress-shooting scenario, I'll take 7 of 9.

(Delaware County)

She was a hottie. She kind of inspired the title of the thread.

(Allegheny County)

If you were to look solely at the ballistics of the LC9s (3" barrel) in 9MM and the S&W 649 (2" barrel) loaded with .357, you'd see that the 357 comes up significantly less than the 9MM in both velocity and muzzle energy.
    The felt recoil is another factor. I suspect the the LC9s having significantly less than the S&W 649 shooting .357. Because of this and the extra rounds in the LC9s (from my perspective) the LC9s wins hands down.

The 357 doesn't really shine until you use a 4" barrel.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html
    Last edited by Hawk; December 26th, 2016 at 10:44 AM.
    Toujours pręt

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast