Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Smile Great Experience at Clayton's Today

When I took my dad shooting earlier this year after I bought (from Tanner's) my first rifle, he passed on to me his old Marlin Glenfield Models 25 and 60. If the internet is to be believed they are from 1969 and 1974 respectively, and neither has been fired since the late 80s at best. I decided to drop by Clayton's and see if they could do an evaluation/safety inspection for me, as I'm not nearly knowledgeable in firearms yet.

When I called, I was quoted "probably $35-$40 dollars" for a standard disassembly, cleaning, evaluation, test fire, reassembly and lube. I guess that's just kind of a standard maintenance package or something. That sounded fine for me, and I stopped by between jobs today. Firstly, I needed a new magazine because my father lost it, which they conveniently had for only a dollar more than I found online. After talking to the gunsmith, Ed, he mentioned that if I wanted the rust touched up, it'd probably be 75 or 80 dollars in labor to do it as well. I told him we could visit that after I made sure the gun was in working order and safe to fire. We settled on the services I was asking for, and while he was writing a ticket I made small talk about wanting to own one of the rifles behind the counter. He grabbed it for me so I could hold it for a bit, and while I was gawking, he asked me if I had 15-20 minutes to wait, to which I agreed. He took my gun into the back area, and I started browsing. While waiting, I struck up conversation with Nathan (I think, I'm so bad at names). I'm in the market for a .22 target pistol, so he let me hold a few and we talked shop about preferences and what they had in stock. They have an awesome selection of used and new right now, and a beautiful used Sig/Hammerli Trailside that I'd never heard of before today. I asked him if he could show me what to look for when I was looking at used guns, and he gave me a cool, brief tutorial without field stripping a MK III. Before I knew it, Ed the gunsmith came out from the range with my rifle. He was giving me the A-OK hand sign. I smiled and asked "So it's all good then?" He chuckled and responded "No, that's the size group I just shot with it. It feels better than I thought it would." I was elated by this, and took out my wallet to settle up. He looked at my ticket, and said "The magazine was 14.99, so call it $25 cash." I took out $40 assuming he was only charging me $25 maintenance and $15 for the mag, but it was $25 all together. I asked if I could give him another $5 to ask a few questions. He only took the $25 and said to ask away. In about five minutes, he showed me how to easily remove and replace the bolt, where specifically to lube, and his favored cleaning routine/explained the cleaning kit parts to me. I know all of that info is available online, but there's something more reassuring to me to experience it from a teacher in front of me. He then mentioned how he would do the rust himself, and that it would probably be easy if I wanted to try it myself first, and only bring it back if it was too much of a problem or not something I wanted to finish myself.

Long story short, I feel like Ed went a little above and beyond his job description today, and Nathan made me feel very welcome and showed me some cool things I was unaware of. All in all, I was impressed by the way I was treated, and I while I like Clayton's and Tanners, I found a new respect for the guys here today.
    I just love shooting.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Great Experience at Clayton's Today

I had a similar encounter with Jason, a smith at Clayton's. I bought, through auction, a Witness-P with non-adjustable sights that were off. Jason went above and beyond to find replacement sights (trying several possibilities), and found a winner. While the process did take a bit of time to complete, I was satisfied that he took his time and got right. When I went in to pick up and try the Witness, I brought in a Glock that needed a slight rear-sight drift. Jason did the drift gratis while I tested the pistol.

In the time I've spent at Clayton's, I've been impressed with their gunsmithing department, and found the rest of their staff to be professional as well. The range is worthwhile (and being updated), and even a transaction with the "old man in a chair" was, at worst, a failed attempt at humor.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by lagco View Post

In the time I've spent at Clayton's, I've been impressed with their gunsmithing department, and found the rest of their staff to be professional as well. The range is worthwhile (and being updated), and even a transaction with the "old man in a chair" was, at worst, a failed attempt at humor.
    Pretty much this in my experience, especially the last sentiment.
    I just love shooting.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Ed is a marketing genius, amongst other things including a VERY nice guy, and somebody I would trust working on anything I own.

I love his "free insults" gimmick. It's absolutely genius, he made their greatest gripe an attraction.

+1 for Ed.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Pike County)

Ed is great guy indeed.
    Je suis déplorable

(Philadelphia County)

I purchased my Kimber Pro Carry II there. Cool place, they always want to help and talk shop. First time there I was greeted and asked if I needed any help, looked at several new and used guns prior to settling on the Pro Carry II. Ed and everybody there are great guys. I even went back and purchased Nite-Sites for my Glock 30 and had them installed. Kinda sucks that I don't work out that way any more. I may just have to take a day that I don't have anything to do and go to the shop. That's how I initially came across the Pro Carry. Just happened to stop one day after work.
    Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? Probably Not.