Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Default Re: CMP

The CMP website now lists the WRA service grade as "sold out on July 26" in the last hour or so (probably at the close of the business day at 5pm, it wasn't there earlier in the afternoon). Sent my order in last week, hopefully I will get mine.

(Cumberland County)

My buddies arrived today - he was happy with the Winchester Rifle itself, but bummed it was in a new stock FedEx tried to deliver mine but I wasn't home - so hopefully tomorrow. Looks like new stock is probably what I'll get - but I can still hope - lol.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Indiana County)

The stock on my HRA was a huge letdown.
    I just put on some walnut handguards so at least its a two tone rifle now instead of a tri-tone.

(Cumberland County)

Definitely great looking rifle, and a gunsmith checked his out and says it's very, very nice overall. I just wanted an old stock in good shape

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Definitely great looking rifle, and a gunsmith checked his out and says it's very, very nice overall. I just wanted an old stock in good shape

Better than mine, looks good.
    Which was a real let down.
    My metal is that black that HRA did, the wood was three different shades of surplus.

There are piles upon piles of surplus wood for cheap out there if you want to go with the well used look.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Better than mine, looks good.
    Which was a real let down.
    My metal is that black that HRA did, the wood was three different shades of surplus.

There are piles upon piles of surplus wood for cheap out there if you want to go with the well used look.
    The black finish might be the Greek park from the Greek return rifles.

I pretty much got the same thing appearance wise that cruzans did. Pulled it apart to give it a good cleaning and checked the stock fit tonigh,t and ran a bandoleer of 73 HXP through it for a function test. Ran perfect.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Loan it to Bripro and let him throw it down his driveway a few times.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Elk County)

I just can't get excited about Winchester-made M1 Rifles. I've examined plenty of them, and the workmanship is not up to the same level as that of Springfield Armory or Harrington & Richardson. The Winchester M1 Rifles have significantly more tool marks than the others, but I have no doubt that Winchester made them exactly to print and specification. However, even though acceptable by gov't standards, the fit and finish of the Winchesters tell me that the company cut corners where it could.

Give me a H&R with a MW of 0 and TE of 1-2 any day over any Winchester M1.

JMO,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Str8liner View Post
    The black finish might be the Greek park from the Greek return rifles.

I pretty much got the same thing appearance wise that cruzans did. Pulled it apart to give it a good cleaning and checked the stock fit tonigh,t and ran a bandoleer of 73 HXP through it for a function test. Ran perfect.
    There has been lots of speculation about this over the years.
    Old color photos have surfaced showing the black finish on some Garands.
    Also, the Greek theory might be based on the 100 or so new in the wrapper Garands that came back from there.
    These were brand new guns that hadn't seen the light of day since they were wrapped and shipped to Greece.

But since records are almost nonexistent it's all speculation.
    I have seen more than a few HRA Garands in black, I suppose they could all have been Greek returns.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I just can't get excited about Winchester-made M1 Rifles. I've examined plenty of them, and the workmanship is not up to the same level as that of Springfield Armory or Harrington & Richardson. The Winchester M1 Rifles have significantly more tool marks than the others, but I have no doubt that Winchester made them exactly to print and specification. However, even though acceptable by gov't standards, the fit and finish of the Winchesters tell me that the company cut corners where it could.

Give me a H&R with a MW of 0 and TE of 1-2 any day over any Winchester M1.

JMO,

Noah
    Agreed.
    I've never been a huge Garand guy, but being able to look over a couple at one time shows what you are saying.
    I love the HRA I recently picked up.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast