Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: CMP

Yup, I never see a good Garand at Gunshows for under $1,200+. I knew they changed their policy to make it easier to buy more than one gun over a 3 year period but thought it was just for the common guy to buy a few and not allowing vendors to buy many.

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Go to the next gunshow after they become available, you'll see a couple dozen of them for sale complete with the CMP paperwork for $1600 I'm sure.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I joined/signed up many years ago and just send them my updated club membership every year and whenever my license updates and/or ltcf. Still a pain to order by mail and get notarized though for sure. They had a small quantity of carbines last year and by the time I got my order notarized and sent, I was too late. Out the $20 for notarizing and 2 -3 day mail. Sure wish they would update their system.
    Why don't you just drive to Ohio and hand pick a couple?

(Indiana County)

Grab a couple extras while you're there and sell them at a gun show to pay for yours.

(Cumberland County)

I've always said I was going to do that - lazy I guess - lol.

Why don't you just drive to Ohio and hand pick a couple?
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

I should. How many times I've and I'm sure many have passed on guns they could have made a bundle on. I bought HK P7's many years ago for $499 each in Grade B. Seller had many and I debated for days buying 4 or 5 but didn't want to get "stuck" with them. could have doubled or tripled my money over a short time. COP 357 for $400 - who'd a thunk you can't get one for under $1,000-$1500 now ! The list goes on and on but at the time, it seemed like a risk.

Grab a couple extras while you're there and sell them at a gun show to pay for yours.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Yeah, it's funny, if I went out and used my C&R to buy a dozen Garands off a private seller and took 11 of them to a gun show and tried to sell them I could get in trouble for being a "dealer" without a license, but the turds that snatch up a dozen rifles from CMP and then have their son and daughter do the same so they can fill a table at a show seem to get a pass.

They really rubbed me the wrong way when they changed their rules.
    Almost like they just wanted to get rid of everything and close up shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I joined/signed up many years ago and just send them my updated club membership every year and whenever my license updates and/or ltcf. Still a pain to order by mail and get notarized though for sure. They had a small quantity of carbines last year and by the time I got my order notarized and sent, I was too late. Out the $20 for notarizing and 2 -3 day mail. Sure wish they would update their system.
    It seems to me like the monopoly the CMP has been given needs to broken up. Throw another authorized receiver/restorer of surplus taxpayer paid for weapons into the mix. Maybe having some competition will light fires under the correct asses.

(Bucks County)

You can bitch about the price but when it comes to the M1 Garand rifle, the cmp is the best deal going for the average shooter.
    Garand rifles are probably the most F'ed with rifles on the planet, and 1911's the most screwed with pistol. Buying either at a gun show is asking for trouble.

The Garand collectors out there are a pretty unethical bunch. They will buy from the cmp, cherry pick parts off several guns to make a "correct" one for their collection and sell the pieced together remains at the gun show under the "cmp" banner.

You buy the gun, take it out to shoot and it malfunctions due to parts swapping. Of course, you're now stuck with a pig in a poke because the guy you bought it from has evaporated or will tell you to suck it up "cause all sales are final".

I say this from experience. It seems that Garands and 1911's are overrepresented in the shop. The story is frequently that the gun was bought at a gun show, has (or not) cmp paperwork and malfunctions every shot.

Unless you're well schooled in the Garand or 1911- don't buy either one at a gun show. Or if you just have to have it- get something in writing that says you can return it when it doesn't work. You will save yourself a huge headache.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Cumberland County)

Good point. I've bought all mine from CMP because I'm not schooled enough and have always been afraid to buy one at a gun show and get stuck ! I figured $930 for a service grade Winchester is about as good as it gets !

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    You can bitch about the price but when it comes to the M1 Garand rifle, the cmp is the best deal going for the average shooter.
    Garand rifles are probably the most F'ed with rifles on the planet, and 1911's the most screwed with pistol. Buying either at a gun show is asking for trouble.

The Garand collectors out there are a pretty unethical bunch. They will buy from the cmp, cherry pick parts off several guns to make a "correct" one for their collection and sell the pieced together remains at the gun show under the "cmp" banner.

You buy the gun, take it out to shoot and it malfunctions due to parts swapping. Of course, you're now stuck with a pig in a poke because the guy you bought it from has evaporated or will tell you to suck it up "cause all sales are final".

I say this from experience. It seems that Garands and 1911's are overrepresented in the shop. The story is frequently that the gun was bought at a gun show, has (or not) cmp paperwork and malfunctions every shot.

Unless you're well schooled in the Garand or 1911- don't buy either one at a gun show. Or if you just have to have it- get something in writing that says you can return it when it doesn't work. You will save yourself a huge headache.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    It seems to me like the monopoly the CMP has been given needs to broken up. Throw another authorized receiver/restorer of surplus taxpayer paid for weapons into the mix. Maybe having some competition will light fires under the correct asses.
    It is not a monopoly. The DCM (director of civilian marksmanship) was formed early this century (don't remember exactly when) to teach people how to shoot so if needed for a war the general public would know how to shoot. At the time you had to register for matches and prove you knew hot to shoot and you could get only ONE rifle for cheap.

The CMP was formed by congress at a time when many liberals were looking to DESTROY all of these surplus evil weapons. Luckily congress passed a charter that the CMP could sell rifles to the public with less hoops to jump thru. The proceeds are their only source of income. When there is nothing left to sell they will be dependent on their annuity to fund their program in the future.

Yes.....even I bitch at the current prices (I was getting my first Garands from them for $500). But they are a non profit group funding for their future survival.

If it wasn't for them do you think any Garands would have survived during the Clinton / Obama years?

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    It is not a monopoly. The DCM (director of civilian marksmanship) was formed early this century (don't remember exactly when) to teach people how to shoot so if needed for a war the general public would know how to shoot. At the time you had to register for matches and prove you knew hot to shoot and you could get only ONE rifle for cheap.

The CMP was formed by congress at a time when many liberals were looking to DESTROY all of these surplus evil weapons. Luckily congress passed a charter that the CMP could sell rifles to the public with less hoops to jump thru. The proceeds are their only source of income. When there is nothing left to sell they will be dependent on their annuity to fund their program in the future.

Yes.....even I bitch at the current prices (I was getting my first Garands from them for $500). But they are a non profit group funding for their future survival.

If it wasn't for them do you think any Garands would have survived during the Clinton / Obama years?
    If it is not a monopoly whom else gets the same privilege the CMP does to get these surplus weapons?

It seems the CMP is more interested in building buildings, cherry picking guns to auction off and selling as many guns as they can to keep money coming in, then doing some markmanship stuff on the side. Just seems like another government program gone haywire, because things seemes tohave changed from what you describe. They are keeping too many people away with their process. How do they expect the new shooter to go through all this bullshit to get a rifle without someone walking them through it? I don't really care about the price, I'll pay it. I know it takes time, experience and parts to get the guns in shape. The process/hoops and the number of guns per person can buy is what pisses me off.
    Last edited by dkf; July 13th, 2017 at 08:38 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast