Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Bedside Gun Storage Advice

I am looking at bedside gun storage options. There are so many options out there, it is getting highly confusing.

GunVault products seem interesting, plus you can get them for almost $ 100 cheaper on Amazon Prime than the company's website. http://www.gunvault.com/gun-safes/minivault.html/

I am worried though, about negative reviews concerning how fast they go through batteries and failures to open.

I want an option that will store one pistol. My main concern is not theft, just keeping it secure from my youngsters. I don't want biometric, a simple number pad or finger pad is fine. An added bonus would be one with backup power through a wall outlet.

Any advice ?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bedside Gun Storage Advice

I have two of these (one for me and one for her). Nothing beats a mechanical lock and these are easily manipulated in the dark.

https://smile.amazon.com/Fort-Knox-H...3&keywords=pb1

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(Allegheny County)

I have the "XL" size Gunvault. Have had it for about 15 years. (best guess)
    I've needed to replace the batteries once. Oh the horror! Get the key, open safe, replace batteries.

If you worry about needing access in an emergency and finding a dead battery, maybe consider replacing them every year when you replace the smoke detector batteries.

I know you said "one gun", but consider the larger unit if it won't be too bulky. Much easier to grab a handgun when there's more room to work with. It has a shelf that is removable as well.

It opens FAST. Once the last button of the combo it hit, that door slams open with a vengeance! I keep a hand in front of it to "catch" the door when I open it!
    Ease/speed of access was the #1 priority for me and I don't see many others that are faster to access.

There may be other/better/more suitable safes out there. When I got mine there weren't as many options.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I've got the standard GunVault, and never had a problem with it. I check the batteries once a year, and it doesn't seem to wear them down much. It comes with a key too, but I'd be hard-pressed to find it years after I bought the thing.

(Chester County)

Plus 1 on the Gunvault. I've had one for ten years or more and might have replaced the batteries maybe once. It always opens.
    My only (minor) complaint is that if anyone can use a tubular lock pick, it opens even faster than with the pressure pads!

(Allegheny County)

Good advice, thanks everyone.

I have had a gun vault for about 10 yrs. Changed the batteries once. Easy to use and works great. The new RFID safes look cool but I would worry one of the kids could get a hold of it and be able to open it.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Franklin County)

Sorry for bringing a thread back to life but it's better than starting a new one I guess.
    I've got young nephews and a niece that visit us at least once a week now. Up to this point it's just been my wife and I and the bedside gun just sat in the nightstand draw. Time to lock things up with young hands around now.
    I know there are those who don't trust technology, I'm not one of them. In all honesty I feel if my wife or I are woke up in the middle of the night and forced to quickly access the safe under very stressful circumstances, there's a much greater chance of human error than technology error, meaning it's got to be something that doesn't require multiple actions, fine motor skills or instant memory recall, this leaves combinations or keys out. I don't trust biometrics yet, from everything I've read fingerprint readers are just not there yet.
    I do trust RFID though.
    I'm looking at two options, the Hornady Rapid Safe and the Bulldog Magnum Top Load. Both have RFID, 4 digit key pad and emergency key access. Both are top access and have spring open doors, both have key pad and interior lighting, both use AA batteries and have low battery lights, both say made in USA. The only real difference between them is the Hornady has A/C capability while the Bulldog is just D/C, and the Bulldog costs about $30 less.
    The Hostler

(Lancaster County)

This may not offer the best security but it will get the job done if keeping curious hands away is the main objective. It can be bolted down or you could use the lanyard, keep the key right on your key ring and habitually unlock it when you turn in for the night. Soon enough it will become routine to lock it when you get up and on the plus side you’ll always know where your keys are.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Susquehanna County)

search up Liberty Concealment.. they have night stands where the bottom drops down and presents your firearms
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast