Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Looking for more experience with rimfire

Hey guys!

Long story short, I am looking for more experience with some handguns and rifles in .22 before I go ahead and make more purchases. I would definitely like to expand my collection as my savings allow responsibly. I'm really drawn to rimfire because it is inexpensive, easy to shoot around me with only a bunch of indoor short ranges, and still really fun. While I love shooting any and everything I've tried so far, I'm really looking to try out any model of the Ruger Mk III/IV and the S&W Victory.

According to Target World, they have the SR22P and the SP101, so I'd like to get over there and try those out, as well as the Beretta Neos which felt weird when I held it in a store, but maybe it would be fun?

Clayton's has an old Mk II I think, maybe it was a III, and I forget which revolver. Haven't had a chance to shoot the revolver.

Does anyone have any wisdom to share, or a weeknight/weekend to share some range time? I don't have much to offer myself, only a humble factory 10/22 for the time being. My father has given me two old Marlin rifles as well, Models 25 and 60 respectively. Neither has been fired in probably 30 years, so I need to get them a good cleaning and once-over to make sure they are still good to go. I'm looking into maybe building my own trainer AR15, but would also probably want that in .22 as opposed to .223 or 5.56, is that silly?

Anyway, if any of this resonates with you, or you just want a range buddy/friend to talk about guns with, this thread and my inbox are always open.

Thanks in advance,
    Gr1M

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Looking for more experience with rimfire

Not much more you will need as rifles go, I have a Marlin 60 I purchased in 1976, my first rifle, still runs like a top and I have unknown thousands of rounds through it, I clean it every two or three years I think, 10-22 is also a fine rifle with unlimited aftermarket parts and accessories, got one for my oldest daughter on her 18th birthday, my youngest just received a S&W MP-15 22, she loves it

with handguns, don't rule out the Browning Buckmark, In my opinion a much better pistol than the overrated Ruger MK's

(Chester County)

I like the Ruger MK II, and Browning Buckmark. The Ruger has much more aftermarket support. They are both very accurate, but I've always gone with the Ruger.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Not much more you will need as rifles go, I have a Marlin 60 I purchased in 1976, my first rifle, still runs like a top and I have unknown thousands of rounds through it, I clean it every two or three years I think, 10-22 is also a fine rifle with unlimited aftermarket parts and accessories, got one for my oldest daughter on her 18th birthday, my youngest just received a S&W MP-15 22, she loves it

with handguns, don't rule out the Browning Buckmark, In my opinion a much better pistol than the overrated Ruger MK's
    I'm glad to hear of the reliability of the Marlin. I'm looking very much forward to trying it out soon. Also have definitely looked into the S&W M&Ps in rimfires, and it's definitely something I'm looking out for in the near-ish future.

(Montgomery County)

I did thoroughly enjoy the Ruger Mark that I shot, and I was certainly interested in the Buckmark. I'm definitely learning more towards the Ruger specifically because of the aftermarket support and great track record.

(Bucks County)

Get a used MKII.

I've had a stainless target model since 1985, and I don't think it's ever hiccuped once with any kind of ammo.

It's super accurate too.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Get a used MKII.

I've had a stainless target model since 1985, and I don't think it's ever hiccuped once with any kind of ammo.

It's super accurate too.
    You know, I always forget there is a pretty huge used gun market. I wouldn't mind plinking on something that's been used a bunch while I save to get something I really, really want. Do you think armslist would be best for something like that?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gr1mfire View Post
    You know, I always forget there is a pretty huge used gun market. I wouldn't mind plinking on something that's been used a bunch while I save to get something I really, really want. Do you think armslist would be best for something like that?
    I've used Gunbroker with good success. Never tried Armslists. You can fine some pretty pristine guns there. You don't have to settle for something that's been over used.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I've used Gunbroker with good success. Never tried Armslists. You can fine some pretty pristine guns there. You don't have to settle for something that's been over used.
    Duh. Been a long day haha, thank you kindly.

got the wife a SR-22 a few years ago. purple talo edition.
    only issues we've had were due to ammo itself. gun has worked flawlessly through a few hundred rounds.(not many for .22)
    i vaguely remember something like a stovepipe but i could be wrong.

did quite a bit of research on which .22 pistols were most reliable, it looks like many are finicky eaters or wont cycle properly.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast