Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    middle smithfield, E.burg, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,050
    Rep Power
    16949055

    Default Re: Looking for more experience with rimfire

    Quote Originally Posted by Gr1mfire View Post
    Upon googling, that thing looks kinda neat. I see a lot of negative opinions about ATI though, so I'd probably abstain just based off of that.

    I saw your post earlier about the SR22 and I'm leaving heavily towards that being my first pistol, but I probably won't get it until closer to my birthday, which is in November
    so is my wife's and iirc i bought it for her as a b-day gift. or christmas... something.
    it comes in a variety of frame colors. my favorite is the grey or they do like a grey blue.
    i bought it as her carry piece, if she chooses to. but also as a plinking gun for us at the range.
    before we had the shotgun, it was also her home defense piece.
    .22lr, better than nothing. even better than something she's hesitant to fire (again) like my p-11

    ati does have many complaints, but that firefly is cool looking and affordable. as a plinker the quality expected is different than what you put your life on for carry.
    whether it's annoyingly unreliable or not, i couldn't tell you. but for the price, if it works ok. i want one.

    the ruger mark intrigues me but really looks like a target gun. when i was buying, wasn't in the market for a target gun.

    if you decide on a savage rifle (iirc it was mentioned by someone above) i found aguila round nose works well and cheap. any round nose high velocity should avoid some of the savage/stevens feed ramp and cycling issues.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Looking for more experience with rimfire

    I probably won't get another rifle in .22, at least not any time soon. I have my 10/22, and my dad has given me a Marlin (technically they're Glenfields because they're so old) 25 and 60. So I'm kinda set on non-precision style rifles for now haha.

    I'll likely just get the standard factory SR instead of any of the Talo or special release ones. I don't know that I'll ever carry, though I have been thinking about it recently. I have a permit if I so choose to, but I've never needed one yet, and I can't imagine I ever will. I'm probably naive in that though.

    I do really want a plinker, but also a target pistol. I enjoy getting rounds downrange, but I also enjoy doing it with some level of precision. Honestly I'd like a precision rifle, but living just outside Philadelphia, I have nowhere to shoot long range, and I don't have to time to travel somewhere regularly that I can. I'd really, really like to, but right now it's just not a worth while investment.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Quakertown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    2,915
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Looking for more experience with rimfire

    I'd stay away from anything made of MIM.

    It's the particle board of guns.

    My stepkid works at Target World. He sent me a pic of this Mosquito a few months ago.


    image.jpg

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Looking for more experience with rimfire

    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I'd stay away from anything made of MIM.

    It's the particle board of guns.

    My stepkid works at Target World. He sent me a pic of this Mosquito a few months ago.


    image.jpg
    Hats off to your stepkid, Target World is a lovely place. Google returns that MIM is metal injection molding, and after doing a little reading, I don't think I'd want a gun with components made that way. Do they make that info readily available, or does the usually require some research?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    middle smithfield, E.burg, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,050
    Rep Power
    16949055

    Default Re: Looking for more experience with rimfire

    Quote Originally Posted by Gr1mfire View Post
    I probably won't get another rifle in .22, at least not any time soon. I have my 10/22, and my dad has given me a Marlin (technically they're Glenfields because they're so old) 25 and 60. So I'm kinda set on non-precision style rifles for now haha.

    I'll likely just get the standard factory SR instead of any of the Talo or special release ones. I don't know that I'll ever carry, though I have been thinking about it recently. I have a permit if I so choose to, but I've never needed one yet, and I can't imagine I ever will. I'm probably naive in that though.

    I do really want a plinker, but also a target pistol. I enjoy getting rounds downrange, but I also enjoy doing it with some level of precision. Honestly I'd like a precision rifle, but living just outside Philadelphia, I have nowhere to shoot long range, and I don't have to time to travel somewhere regularly that I can. I'd really, really like to, but right now it's just not a worth while investment.
    not to derail. but you won't find you "need one" until it's too late. and you'll wind up kicking yourself in the ass. however, do as your comfortable with.
    in my 31yrs i've only been in 2 or 3 fights. neither was gun appropriate nor did i carry at the time.
    i haven't needed a bandaid in years either. still got a pack of them. can't remember when my last flat was, still buy cars with a spare (most now have a pump and fix-a-flat instead)

    i would probably recommend something on longer side for the barrel for plink and target, as i generally don't recommend .22 for carry unless its that or nothing.
    as far as specialty colors go, the price difference between a talo gun and a stock model is often negligible, they're just harder to find in stock.

    look into private clubs. if your serious about shooting. the upfront cost is often quickly offset Vs public hourly range fees. that being said, public range rentals might save you from making a purchase you regret.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Quakertown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    2,915
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Looking for more experience with rimfire

    Quote Originally Posted by Gr1mfire View Post
    Hats off to your stepkid, Target World is a lovely place. Google returns that MIM is metal injection molding, and after doing a little reading, I don't think I'd want a gun with components made that way. Do they make that info readily available, or does the usually require some research?
    I'm pretty sure that all the German made .22 clones of "real" guns are MIM. They're made by ATI/GSG and the Walther branded ones.

    You have to look at the technical specs, where they list the frame, slide, and barrel material. It's probably not a big advertising point of the ones that are. You might have to do a little digging.

    I can barely get past aluminum alloy on a pistol, let alone powdered MIM or monkey metal.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Looking for more experience with rimfire

    Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    not to derail. but you won't find you "need one" until it's too late. and you'll wind up kicking yourself in the ass. however, do as your comfortable with.
    What's the old adage? "It's always better to have and not need, than to need and not have."

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Looking for more experience with rimfire

    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I'm pretty sure that all the German made .22 clones of "real" guns are MIM. They're made by ATI/GSG and the Walther branded ones.

    You have to look at the technical specs, where they list the frame, slide, and barrel material. It's probably not a big advertising point of the ones that are. You might have to do a little digging.

    I can barely get past aluminum alloy on a pistol, let alone powdered MIM or monkey metal.
    Ah, and I was sort of looking into those too, because I think it'd be neat to own the clones. I appreciate the information, thanks for sharing!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    up out back, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    201
    Rep Power
    1311540

    Default Re: Looking for more experience with rimfire

    There's also a $99 Heritage Rough Rider on sale right now and I'm fighting with myself whether or not I should buy it. Aghhhh

    I got one of those recently and only have a few hundred shots through it, but I can't find any problems with it. Great plinker for the money IMO.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Looking for more experience with rimfire

    Quote Originally Posted by mrat View Post
    There's also a $99 Heritage Rough Rider on sale right now and I'm fighting with myself whether or not I should buy it. Aghhhh

    I got one of those recently and only have a few hundred shots through it, but I can't find any problems with it. Great plinker for the money IMO.
    I KNOW ME TOO. It'd be the first pistol in my collection, it's got generally great reviews, and a 6" barrel which will be nice for any indoor range I feel like. It's a bit of extra work to shoot since it's a fixed cylinder, but I really, really want it and I'm fighting not to go for it. My rationale is that if I buy it, I will have $120 less that I could spend on a gun I will want to shoot for my entire life, you know?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. .17 rimfire
    By lbjfromtheusa in forum Rifles
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 17th, 2013, 01:45 AM
  2. New rimfire
    By titus2423 in forum Gun Pictures
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 14th, 2011, 08:44 PM
  3. .22 rimfire
    By knight0334 in forum General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May 29th, 2009, 03:08 AM
  4. WTB rimfire
    By toadyoforangeville in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 8th, 2008, 08:38 AM
  5. 22 rimfire
    By Mr_Anderson in forum General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: August 22nd, 2007, 12:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops