Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Locating Components

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Finding a 110 projectile that remains stable at varmint range may prove challenging.
    it's not going to be for varmints, just a lightweight bullet with a medium powder charge so it doesn't beat up my wife's shoulder too much. I just used the "varmint" designation to indicate a light for caliber round, 110 was just a number, I considered it mainly to reduce recoil. If I get into coyotes or chucks then I'll work up a REAL varmint load. Realistically I could use 150gr bullet on them as well but it's overkill and lighter rounds are more explosive or at least that's what I've been reading

(Centre County)

For a cheap press that would make things a bit easier, you could go with the Lee breech lock hand press and then get a set of dies. It's a lot easier with no pounding cases into and out of the Lee classic.

You can look at it here: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/65...hand-press-kit

I have one that I take to the range if I'm working up small batch loads. If the loads work good then I do larger amounts on my Dillon at home.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lackawanna County)

Ive considered that one as well but I was looking at it from a bare bones perspective. Its definitely an option though I just need some money to free up so I can start gathering bits and pieces. I've also been picking up whatever brass i can at the range so I can scrap it but that'll take a while considering I'm not at the range as often as I would like. But now that I brought my wife over to the dark side (the cookies convinced her) I think we'll be at the range a little more

(Bucks County)

What was in those cookies?? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybonez28 View Post
    Ive considered that one as well but I was looking at it from a bare bones perspective. Its definitely an option though I just need some money to free up so I can start gathering bits and pieces. I've also been picking up whatever brass i can at the range so I can scrap it but that'll take a while considering I'm not at the range as often as I would like. But now that I brought my wife over to the dark side (the cookies convinced her) I think we'll be at the range a little more
    Before you scrap any brass, try to sell it here. You will get more money for it any you also won't be screwing your fellow reloaders.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    What was in those cookies?? LOL
    We were both raised in NYC and I played paintball and had a few pellet rifles and pistols while her parents were more liberal so no guns for her. I just introduced her to the thrill of pulling the trigger. Unfortunately (kind of) now she's in love with the 22 and I kind of have to get another one so I can shoot as well. So, yeah, now she's hooked and I'm convinced I can get her to pull the trigger on the '06 at some point in the future.

In addition to getting into reloading, now I have to try and decide between a Remington 597, Marlin 795 and a Savage 64 for matching plinkers. If I get another bolt action 22, it would probably be a MKII, or XT22 but since PA changed their laws this year I can use a semi 22 for squirrels and chucks.

@ YODER

I haven't scavenged enough brass to really add up yet but it's not a half bad idea. Sadly I pick up a lot more rimfire casings than I do any other caliber but I will sort it out and sell it off on here rather than scrap it. I just meant scrap as a relative term meaning I'm not going to reload it personally. I've also picked up some aluminum cases but those will go to the scrap yard since aluminum doesn't fair as well as brass once it's been misshapen and most of the aluminum casings are dented. Once I have a decent amount of each I'll put them up on here, just need to figure out pricing
    Last edited by mikeybonez28; July 24th, 2017 at 07:56 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

I counted up the brass today, and the only caliber I have a decent amount of is 9mm, various manufacturers but all brass, 1 or 2 have some dents but nothing horrible that can't be undone with a sizing die and by my count there's 189, anyone have an idea for a respectable price for as is once fired brass?, say per 100 and should I deprime or sell as is since anyone reloading will have a depriming die available to them. I don't want to charge a premium and I don't want to undercut too much. I have some 40, 357 sig and 380 as well but not enough to matter at this point. There's also a few rifle rounds that I couldn't see the caliber on them, they may be 22-250 but without known measurements I can't say for sure

(Allegheny County)

5 or 6 cents each. 9mm brass is cheap.

http://www.ColoradoOnceFiredBrass.co...mlbspecial.htm

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybonez28 View Post
    I haven't scavenged enough brass to really add up yet but it's not a half bad idea. Sadly I pick up a lot more rimfire casings than I do any other caliber but I will sort it out and sell it off on here rather than scrap it. I just meant scrap as a relative term meaning I'm not going to reload it personally. I've also picked up some aluminum cases but those will go to the scrap yard since aluminum doesn't fair as well as brass once it's been misshapen and most of the aluminum casings are dented. Once I have a decent amount of each I'll put them up on here, just need to figure out pricing
    I find myself in a similar situation: a few hundred 9mm (which I neither shoot nor reload), a literal handful of .40 (ditto), and down to my last ~150 .45 - which is all I shoot, so I do my best to recover it when I can.

Some people I shoot with talk about having multiple 5-gallon buckets EACH of 9mm and .45 brass - must be nice...

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    I find myself in a similar situation: a few hundred 9mm (which I neither shoot nor reload), a literal handful of .40 (ditto), and down to my last ~150 .45 - which is all I shoot, so I do my best to recover it when I can.

Some people I shoot with talk about having multiple 5-gallon buckets EACH of 9mm and .45 brass - must be nice...
    I would have had more but I don't clean up as well as i should and both ranges I go to have lots of 22 shooters which is great for scrapping but not reloading. I need to spend more time cleaning up. I might be able to pay for the new 22 with the old brass lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast