Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Looking for Opinions Skeet Shotgun 12 GA

My buddy Roger took me out for some skeet shooting this past Saturday, my first time shooting skeet. WOW was that some fun !! ... Started looking around for a skeet 12ga shotgun. Would use either a pump or a semi, but am leaning towards a semi. We used his Remington 1100 Semi, that was a blast to shoot. Looking for some advise, opinions on some options. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Brian

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Looking for Opinions Skeet Shotgun 12 GA

Good on Roger lol !

Personally I'd lean toward a semi or an O/U to avoid pumping in between shots in some clay sports. The semi's ejection is somewhat of an annoyance to others at times and can scatter your hulls making pickup tougher than it needs to be. Dunno how you feel about those things but that's part of the reason I went with an O/U.

IMO, brand is very much budget dependent. I've got the least expensive CZ Redhead and a Beretta DT-11 ACS. They both break clays, so the main difference between them is ~$7,500 and probably their life expectancy. There is, at least in my mind, a real value to an adjustable butt and rib, especially if you eventually use it for multiple clay sports. But they aren't necessary if you can find a shotgun that comes up to shoulder where you want it naturally.

GLHF and stay safe.
    Last edited by Twoboxer; July 11th, 2017 at 05:35 PM.

Yup, I would not go with a pump. Besides that O/U or Semi will work. You can spend a few hundred up to the price of a real nice car, that's up to you. If you get a semi I would try to get one that is designed for clay shooting. Semi's built for hunting sometimes have trouble cycling target loads. Something like your friends 1100 would be a real nice place to start IMO

(Chester County)

I'll echo the above opinion to not go pump.

Personally, if budget is not an issue, I'd go O/U all day. I've got a Browning Citori 325 and a Browning Cynergy. I've shot with a Beretta Silver Pigeon and that'll do you just fine as well.

If money is an issue, however, a semi will do what you need it to. Go with a big name company and a gun with history. Beretta, Benelli, and Browning and the big three for semis. Beretta A300 or 400 will be a good option. Remington 1100 will do you fine as well but I've found the Beretta semis to be much smoother and more reliable.

If skeet is the only game you want to play, barrels are typically shorter (26" or 28") whereas trap and sporting clays guns go out to 32". You'll need the appropriate chokes (anything IC or SK will do).
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Washington County)

I love shooting skeet, and while I'm a big advocate of letting people use whatever they want as long as it works mentality, with skeet, it's a O/U world, but there are some incredible shooters with semi-auto's, so that is an option. Pump is not really an option. I treated myself to a Beretta 686 Silver I Sporting O/U 12GA in 2014 and it's the best firearm I'll probably ever own. Plan to hand that down to my daughter some day.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

If you can afford it I would go with a Browning Citori over/under. No going to pick up shells, screwing with a catcher or the clanking of the action. Probably want to stick with a shorter barrel (26"-28") like mentioned earlier as you can swing them faster. Not like you can't buy other barrels if you want a longer barrel to shoot trap in the future.

After reliability, FIT is the most important thing to consider. If your shotgun doesn't work, you will have no fun. The better your shotgun fits YOU, the better your POTENTIAL to shoot well with it will be.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    After reliability, FIT is the most important thing to consider. If your shotgun doesn't work, you will have no fun. The better your shotgun fits YOU, the better your POTENTIAL to shoot well with it will be.
    Absolutely ar15jules!! I shot decent with my O/U until I had it fitted by Carper's Custom Gunsmith in Washington PA and was literally shocked how much better it felt, how easily it came up to my shoulder, and how much my shooting improved. He extended the stock 3 inches, put a lifter on the stock so my long ass neck didn't have to bend over so much, and now it's like an extension of my body when I pull up.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Yeah you have to consider the stock. Length is easy enough with some pads but if the stock has a non adjustable raised comb you may have cut it and put adjustment posts in it or else you have to learn to shoot a "figure 8". Best to get a gun, set it to fit comfortably and shoot it. I know several guys when I was shooting in the league that were buying new guns and switching to different guns all the time. Then they wondered why they were shooting like shit.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Raystown View Post
    My buddy Roger took me out for some skeet shooting this past Saturday, my first time shooting skeet. WOW was that some fun !! ... Started looking around for a skeet 12ga shotgun. Would use either a pump or a semi, but am leaning towards a semi. We used his Remington 1100 Semi, that was a blast to shoot. Looking for some advise, opinions on some options. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Brian
    What's your budger? There are choices from $300-$30,000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast