Setting: Me, my parents, my wife, and almost 4 year old daughter were out to eat at a local diner. I'm open carrying as usual, today a Ruger P90 .45 auto. As we walk in to be seated, I do my usual survey of everyone sitting down and take a mental note of who's who. I notice a man (50-60, black hair) watch me as we sit down. He is to my left.

After we are seated, the man gets up, (three tables over), and approaches our table with a bag in his hands. I go to high alert. He asks my parents if they are the parents of my daughter, then says something about how he watched as the little girl lead all of us inside. He reaches in the bag. Pulls out a lollipop for my daughter. He goes and sits back down.

The whole time I was ready to reach for the .45, but I didn't put my hand on it. When his hand went in the bag, I made the decision not to 'make a scene' and just be ready.

My dad, afterward, expressed his disturbance about his inability to react properly to the situation. I myself am a little disturbed.

His hand could have went in the bag, and out came bullets. Or a knife. Or a present.

What is the indicated response here? I'm only trying to learn for the future. thanks.