Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Default Re: Strange encounter at diner with family: what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    It isn't change the fact that both my wife & I were made uncomfortable. However there was zero valid reason for the discomfort.
    Giving away a stuffed animal that you just won from one those claw machines is one thing -- an adult male carrying around a bag of lollipops and handing them out to young children immediately sets my spidey sense tingling. To me, that creates concerns about predators and "grooming." I wouldn't make a scene there and then, but I would very soon thereafter have a talk with my daughter about NEVER accepting candy from strangers, and never allow it to happen again.

And I would make certain that the guy left before I did, so he couldn't see what car I was driving and take down my license plate number.

For whoever it was a couple of pages above who said something about an older generation having been more in loco parentis, all I can say to that is B.S. I'm 73 years old. I either am that older generation, or my parents were. I grew up in the 1940s and 1950s, and we were constantly warned and reminded to NEVER accept a ride or candy from strangers. There were pedophiles even then, it just wasn't talked about as openly as it is now.

Creepy is creepy, and an adult male carrying around a bag of lollipops is creepy.
    Last edited by Greywolf; July 23rd, 2017 at 01:19 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Strange encounter at diner with family: what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Setting: Me, my parents, my wife, and almost 4 year old daughter were out to eat at a local diner. I'm open carrying as usual, today a Ruger P90 .45 auto. As we walk in to be seated, I do my usual survey of everyone sitting down and take a mental note of who's who. I notice a man (50-60, black hair) watch me as we sit down. He is to my left.

After we are seated, the man gets up, (three tables over), and approaches our table with a bag in his hands. I go to high alert. He asks my parents if they are the parents of my daughter, then says something about how he watched as the little girl lead all of us inside. He reaches in the bag. Pulls out a lollipop for my daughter. He goes and sits back down.

The whole time I was ready to reach for the .45, but I didn't put my hand on it. When his hand went in the bag, I made the decision not to 'make a scene' and just be ready.

My dad, afterward, expressed his disturbance about his inability to react properly to the situation. I myself am a little disturbed.

His hand could have went in the bag, and out came bullets. Or a knife. Or a present.

What is the indicated response here? I'm only trying to learn for the future. thanks.
    Generally, I'd say to be less paranoid. I also would have refused the candy from the pervert. But if you really want to dissuade such people, just go Rainman on him.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011