Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Strange encounter at diner with family: what would you do?

Having thought about this a bit overnight, I will agree that we are more standoffish than when we were kids. I believe that this is largely to us becoming more urbanized overall vs. the smaller communities that we used to live in. We're more insular, more independent and less interdependant. We don't work closely with other people as much. When I was a kid, if our front door was open, that was the signal for any of several neighbors to just walk into our house for a cup of coffee. That would never happen today. Exactly why or how that relationship with neighbors changed in small towns like where I grew up, I can't really say. But insular doesn't mean hypervigilant.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I believe that this is largely to us becoming more urbanized overall vs. the smaller communities that we used to live in. We're more insular, more independent and less interdependant.
    I thought this same thing before. Living closer together meant we learned respect, now it is mind your own business. We forget that there is still good in people. I see glimpses of it from time to time.

Yesterday at Tanners, the farm market not the guns shop, I had 4 items and the older woman in front of me told me that I can go in front of her. I thanked her twice and then again as I picked up my bagged items and left. I have had this happen to me several times over the years and it was always older women that did it.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Chester County)

I can tell you having grown up during the 1960's and living in suburban Philadelphia that my parents taught me to be vigilant and not trust strangers. Remember all the crazy things that went on in the 60's? Charlie Manson, Patti Hearst, Weather Underground, Frank Sinatra Jr. kidnapping just to name a few. I know for a fact my Mother would have told that guy to back away from our table at a restaurant or diner. My Dad didn't carry a gun but could throw any man to the ground short of being Bruno Sammartino. The world of neighbors and being trustful of people completely changed in the 1960's. Here's a 1961 PSA that was pretty typical for the day.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Chester County)

^ ^^^^^^We must be close to the same age. I was born in 1959, and grew up in the 60's/70's in Springfield Delco. The mantra was "don't take candy from strangers". However, we were allowed to roam on foot, or on our bikes from morning to dinner time unsupervised.

(Bucks County)

I was born in 61 and my sister in 60. She was lured into a car when she was 10 or 11. Nothing happened as she was able to get out of the car, it could have been worse.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    I can tell you having grown up during the 1960's and living in suburban Philadelphia that my parents taught me to be vigilant and not trust strangers. Remember all the crazy things that went on in the 60's? Charlie Manson, Patti Hearst, Weather Underground, Frank Sinatra Jr. kidnapping just to name a few. I know for a fact my Mother would have told that guy to back away from our table at a restaurant or diner. My Dad didn't carry a gun but could throw any man to the ground short of being Bruno Sammartino. The world of neighbors and being trustful of people completely changed in the 1960's. Here's a 1961 PSA that was pretty typical for the day.
    Wow, you remember Bruno? He was one of the best.

Anyway, life has changed ever since razor blades ended up in apples being passed out at halloween.

It hasn't been Mayberry for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Delaware County)

I try to stay somewhere in the middle. To Carnes point about the percentage of "baddies" in the world, the percentage may be the same but the overall numbers are close to doubled from when I was a child.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Butler County)

One time in around 1978 (I was 6 or 7) i was walking a dog in suburbia and a strange skinny dude walks up to me, probably in his 30's and very calmly puts his hand on his throat and says (very calmly) "Excuse me. I can't breathe. Would you happen to know where I could use a phone to call for help?"

But this guy was totally calm, like nothing was bothering him and he sure wasnt wheezing or gasping in any way. I instantly thought he was full of shit even though I was just a little kid. I looked at him skeptically and said "There's several houses right there?? " (..like DUHHH! ) And he calmly shuffled off again. i don't know if he ever went to one of those houses or not. I never saw him again. It occurred to me a few years later he may have been trying to get me alone somewhere. I have always been somewhat skeptical of people and have no shame in that whatsoever.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    . When I was a kid, if our front door was open, that was the signal for any of several neighbors to just walk into our house for a cup of coffee. That would never happen today. Exactly why or how that relationship with neighbors changed in small towns like where I grew up, I can't really say. But insular doesn't mean hypervigilant.
    I've been very lucky to end up 2 little neighborhoods, in rural settings somewhat like you describe. (We'd knock first though) Too bad it's not more common today.

Air conditioning in houses may have something to do with this change in culture. A few generations back, everyone would spend evenings on the porch all summer and be social. Now, its more likely everyone is inside to stay out of the heat.

Back to the thread topic -

We seem to have a very well behaved daughter (at least when out in public), and we are approached often by strangers as a result. 99.99% or better of the people out there are good, so it's up to us to maintain the balance of kindness vs caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Wow, you remember Bruno? He was one of the best.

Anyway, life has changed ever since razor blades ended up in apples being passed out at halloween.

It hasn't been Mayberry for a long time.
    The whole razors in candy thing is a hoax, there have been a few, perhaps 100 such cases reported since 1959, but most have been hoaxes. There was an incident in 2010 but only a minor prick by a needle.
    Another urban myth, it's ok to eat pop rocks and drink pepsi, just ask Mikey.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast