Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Juniata County)

Default Re: PD can either pay for their officers to have decent training, or they spend to se

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I fully agree that additional and more realistic training is both needed and well worth its cost.

I would like to see FATS and other scenario based training given to the general public, especially members of the media, certain activists and civilian oversight boards.

One thing I noticed in real life though, the suspects never follow the training script.
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    It won't matter. Regardless of how effectively the situation was handled, people will sue. And municipalities will continue to pay because paying a nuisance lawsuit is cheaper than the cost to defend. It's how the system works...Michael Brown's family didn't deserve a dime but they hit the ghetto lottery.

Further, no matter how much training a department receives, there are still going to be screwups--both real and perceived. Killing a kid with a toy gun happens regularly and will keep happening. Shooting an "unarmed" assailant will keep happening because being beaten to death is still not an option. And in that split second it takes to pull the trigger or choose not to, some will get it wrong.

I'm all for more training but it's not a panacea.
    True, people are human & make mistakes, but mistakes happen a lot more when people are not trained properly, or are poorly trained. LEO should have long ago to a four or eight year education program.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Delaware County)

Default Re: PD can either pay for their officers to have decent training, or they spend to se

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I fully agree that additional and more realistic training is both needed and well worth its cost.

I would like to see FATS and other scenario based training given to the general public, especially members of the media, certain activists and civilian oversight boards.

One thing I noticed in real life though, the suspects never follow the training script.
    I went thru a Citizens Police Academy a couple years back...what an eye opening experience...and rush. Ten weeks of learning what officers do, day to day and the training required to keep them in the game and alive. Using the FATS simulator gives you a birds eye view of how fast events unfold and sometimes don't unfold. The results for me were not good at first...but with a little training and some basic skills, I survived most of my encounters.

Poor training will follow an officer until it eventually comes around and shows itself. Training and ongoing training is what keeps them and us safe.
    Education beats propaganda!
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12