Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: CLAIM: Open carry not permitted if possessing LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    You mean the Israeli 9mm ammo with hard primers that requires an open bolt gun to reliably function?

Because that's a thing....
    This is too, but no hard primers. I still have a few boxes but it's not very good for most midsized and compact pistols.

This bit of bad info has been promulgated by people who ought to know better, like certain DA's and sheriffs, and the entire Philly PD....
    BINGO!!! You called it.

I spoke with the store owner today, and he said that he had questioned this particular claim in the past. Since he had heard conflicting statements, he checked with a couple LEO friends and and eventually more than one person in the local DA's office. I asked, "Were these people from back east--you know, the Philly area?" Indeed they were. He's familiar with PAFOA and I directed him to this discussion. He thanked me and told me he's definitely going to have another talk with his current lawyers--who aren't from Philly!
    Last edited by RayDiffraction; July 13th, 2017 at 03:51 AM.

The Original Post states something that I think we all missed. "...struck up a conversation with the owner who is a certified USCCA instructor."

He's a certified USCCA instructor and he does not know the law? I'm somewhat forgiving of a gun shop owner in that I wouldn't want to see him lose his business over one mistake. But, a gun shop owner who is also a certified USCCA instructor giving out grossly inaccurate information is IMHO, unforgivable.

If you are that gun shop owner and you are reading this thread, know that you either need to learn the law or shut your mouth.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

Quote Originally Posted by longcall911 View Post
    The Original Post states something that I think we all missed. "...struck up a conversation with the owner who is a certified USCCA instructor."

He's a certified USCCA instructor and he does not know the law? I'm somewhat forgiving of a gun shop owner in that I wouldn't want to see him lose his business over one mistake. But, a gun shop owner who is also a certified USCCA instructor giving out grossly inaccurate information is IMHO, unforgivable.

If you are that gun shop owner and you are reading this thread, know that you either need to learn the law or shut your mouth.

Nope, we didn't all miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Standard gun shop drivel. It never ceases to amaze me how uninformed gun shop owners and salesman are. Even "certified instructors". It kind of cheapens the "certification" for me when they don't even know the laws about which they speak.

I agree with you.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Lancaster County)

He's a USCCA instructor, not a USLTCF instructor.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

The store owner now has the correct information.

Apparently there are others who may still need to learn this aspect of open carry/LTCF (and especially in the Philly area?). I'm assuming that many PA gun owners have never heard this erroneous claim (I never had). It might be the case that there still remains a minority of gun owners who've had it told to or trained into them. Heck, you may know a someone who learned it, but you never talked about it because it's so absurd (it was to me). For those here who train or speak to gun groups, maybe dispelling this myth should be added to the lesson/curriculum if it's not already there. In addition, it can be brought up in casual conversation with fellow shooters at gun clubs and other meeting places. It has the added bonus of being even more outrageous your regular BS.
    Last edited by RayDiffraction; July 13th, 2017 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RayDiffraction View Post
    The store owner now has the correct information.

Apparently there are others who may still need to learn this aspect of open carry/LTCF (and especially in the Philly area?). I'm assuming that many PA gun owners have never heard this erroneous claim (I never had). It might be the case that there still remains a minority of gun owners who've had it told to or trained into them. Heck, you may know a someone who learned it, but you never talked about it because it's so absurd (it was to me). For those here who train or speak to gun groups, maybe dispelling this myth should be added to the lesson/curriculum if it's not already there. In addition, it can be brought up in casual conversation with fellow shooters at gun clubs and other meeting places. It has the added bonus of being even more outrageous your regular BS.
    Whenever I teach a class, I always emphasize that questions are welcome, partly because it breaks up the monotony of my own voice, but more importantly because it allows people to clarify issues like this, which contradict other things that they've heard.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Berks County)

Whenever I teach a class, I always emphasize that questions are welcome, partly because it breaks up the monotony of my own voice, but more importantly because it allows people to clarify issues like this, which contradict other things that they've heard.
    When is your next class?
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

Quote Originally Posted by donotknowme View Post
    When is your next class?
    Nothing is currently scheduled, although I'm doing some CLE's for lawyers, which are really too pricey for most folks. I'll post something when I set up a regular firearms workshop.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Wayne County)

Not necessarily. As Streaker pointed out, they guy is USCCA certified not USLTCF or PALTCF certified as an instructor. In looking at the information provided with the USCCA instructor package, NOWHERE in the description of their 235 slide, 8 lesson Powerpoint program is state carry laws even mentioned.

Concealed Carry & Home Defense Fundamentals Presentation Package
    The Concealed Carry & Home Defense Fundamentals Presentation Package includes a 235-slide, 8-lesson PowerPoint Presentation including 14 professional quality classroom videos that enhance the subject being discussed.

Classroom Videos Included:
    Explaining the “Reasonable Person Test”
    Clearing Semi-Automatics
    The Slap, Rack and Roll Drill
    Clearing Three Types of Semi-Automatic Failures
    The Isosceles Stance
    The Weaver Stance
    Why Not to Give Your Side of the Story
    The Miranda Warning and Search & Seizure Laws
    Stopping Severe Bleeding
    The Miranda Warning and Search and Seizure
    Drawing from the Holster
    The FBI Flashlight Hold
    The Harries Flashlight Hold
    The Surefire Flashlight Hold
    Just as with teaching at a high school level, being certified to teach the subject does not necessarily means that you're qualified to teach to teach the subject. The shop owner may be teaching the USCCA curriculum flawlessly. It may just be that the curriculum isn't the greatest.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast