Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Exclamation NEED help with rifle shot gun

How are you doing I am new to pa I used to live in nyc but used to hunt in nys where my guns are currently my step dad passed away and he told my mom before he died to give me his guns now I am wondering how I can bring them to pa and is it legal since it was under his name I have his death certificate and stuff I just have no paperwork on the guns can my mother sell me them for 1 dollar each or even just give me them so I have proof of purchase please help me figure this out thank you all in advance enjoy your weekend
    Btw the guns are two 3030s both Winchester and a 12guage Winchester’s

Eric Pa ltcf: smith and Wesson sd9ve 9mm
    Last edited by Ericcuzz; July 8th, 2017 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Misspelled

(Butler County)

Default Re: NEED help with rifle shot gun

Unload 'em for the trip, case 'em or "sock" 'em and stick 'em in the trunk, and come on over!
    I don't think you'll have to worry about proof of ownership. I think that would only come up in the case there was a crime being investigated. Listen to a few other people, do quic checkup on P.A. gun laws, and I think you'll come to the same conclusion.

I was almost in your shoes 11 years ago, but didn't have the ownership issue. I was still worried about a change in laws crossing the state line, or being under special scrutiny for being from out of state with a gun. I lived in Orange and Ulster counties in NY until I was 35. Then I moved to Allegheny County and Pittsburgh. All I brought with me was a double-barrel shotgun, and sold my SKS and Enfield and another shotgun before I left. I figured it was the least likely to cause a stink, and eventually I could buy more guns here. I was obviously just relocating not running from anything, so I wasn't worried about being detained for long.

Looking back, I realize I shoulda just kept those guns and taken pretty much the same advice I'm giving you now.
    If you can get a death certificate, it might save a little trouble....and I mean a little.

P.S. If youre from NY, you know more about S.A.F.E. than I do.
    Last edited by FJW; July 8th, 2017 at 11:37 PM.

(Lehigh County)

It is not state law, it's the feds. If your mom is executor/administrator of the estate, you can inherit the guns interstate (across state lines) without issues, but need to review the rules to keep things straight.

PA does not have a 'legal' registration like I believe NY does. No problems owning guns, as long ad you are not prohibited, so enjoy, and welcome to the forum.

IAmNotALawyer! (IANAL)
    Last edited by gghbi; July 9th, 2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Butler County)

Now note here what he says about the Feds. Federal law actually is supposed to protect you for interstate travel as long as you unload and perhaps even partially disassemble and lock up your firearm. But states, especially ones like NY and NJ, try to get you with their own little laws. And there are intracasies that sometimes enable them to do so and the feds don't step in to save you. This would apply more if you were travelling to a blue state instead of from one. You're also more likely to get a hassle leaving your state than entering this one, if that makes sense. The state laws "swing" on federal laws.

If you secure and separate everything, perhaps give everything its own bag or box, it makes a strong case in your favor. Don't worry too much. Just come on over and get to your destination (and I only say that because youre new). If yourr stopped and questioned, be 100% truthful when asked questions, don't be dodgy. Transporting weapons, sir? "Just a couple old hunting guns, in cases, in the trunk". If youre not a fugitive you should be FINE if you obey basic Pennsylvania gun laws. Unload. Separate guns and ammo. Store securely (in trunk, etc). You're ok.

Edit: Just re-read the OP. You already have an address here? Chill! Just mind NYS and their bullshit on the way over.
    Last edited by FJW; July 9th, 2017 at 12:19 AM.

(Bucks County)

NYS borders PA. Go hunting in downstate NYS, and wander across the border into PA. Get on the cell phone and get a PA friend to come pick you up. Repeat as often as needed. Welcome to PA,

There is no registration requirement for long guns. It doesn't matter. This is why it is legal to purchase long guns without a FFL in PA.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts

(a) It shall be unlawful—
    (1) for any person—
    . . .
    (3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides . . . any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Beaver County)

legal mumbojumbo, to cover all bases have your mother date and sign a note saying you inherited the guns, include the serial numbers.

Unless they now have border checkpoints at the PA-NY border you should just roll through like thousands of other cars and trucks do every day.

Welcome to PA, drive safe.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    legal mumbojumbo, to cover all bases have your mother date and sign a note saying you inherited the guns, include the serial numbers.

Unless they now have border checkpoints at the PA-NY border you should just roll through like thousands of other cars and trucks do every day.

Have her keep a copy for her records as well, in case NY comes asking questions.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post

A true bequest would involve more data points than a note from his mother. Estates often have distribution lists, with taxes paid on bequests.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast