Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Questions on AR10 extractor

After shooting my AR10 two weeks ago, I noticed that the rim on the casings was slightly deformed from the extractor. This was the first time I looked at the rims, so I don't know if this happened on previous outings. Is it normal for the extractor to bend the rim? Also, when I tore the bolt down, I either lost the O-ring for the extractor spring, or the rifle never had one. I've tore the bolt apart a few times, and honestly can't remember if the extractor didn't have an O-ring around the spring. I have spare O-rings. Should I use one? The barrel is 18 inches and has a mid length gas tube.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Questions on AR10 extractor

Wasn't there a thread just like this one involving an AR15 a few months ago?
    Do I sense a trend forming? :-)

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    Wasn't there a thread just like this one involving an AR15 a few months ago?
    Do I sense a trend forming? :-)
    IDK. I don't tread in this section much--mainly stay on FB Military Surplus groups. The two AR groups I belong to on FB aren't too helpful (unless you like to hear trash talk on Anderson receivers). I joined a new one, so it may be better.

(Butler County)

I think there was one, to be totally serious. I'm not trying to hijack your thread.
    I'm far more partial to Kalashnikov/Simonov designs.
    I just thought it was kind of telling to see another thread about the same thing.
    I really want a semi-auto .308 and I was considering an AR10. I believe the AR10 did come before the AR15 so I thought maybe being designed around the .308 cartidge it would fair better than the 5.56 carbine. Looks like the problem with AR extractors might not discriminate between the 10 and the 15. I wonder if AR15's and AR10's share some of the same parts. I'm not super knowledgable of their inner anatomy. People commenting seemed to think the problem was related to the mass produced cheapo AR parts some companies produce so people can build their own for cheap.

I'll see if I can find the thread for you and post a link.
    Last edited by FJW; July 7th, 2017 at 08:44 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

I really wanted a semi-auto in .308 as well. I bought this the night before the election in case Hillary won--I feared that would have caused another ammo and rifle shortage with price spikes on both. It's pretty accurate and shoots well. I figured parts would be easier to find and cheaper than other .308 offerings. Ideally, I would prefer a design similar to a French Mas 49/56 or an AK type rifle. I'm a lefty, and prefer a side charging handle on the right of the rifle.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I really wanted a semi-auto in .308 as well. I bought this the night before the election in case Hillary won--I feared that would have caused another ammo and rifle shortage with price spikes on both. It's pretty accurate and shoots well. I figured parts would be easier to find and cheaper than other .308 offerings. Ideally, I would prefer a design similar to a French Mas 49/56 or an AK type rifle. I'm a lefty, and prefer a side charging handle on the right of the rifle.
    You know, I really dig the MAS too, at least in the way they look and the caliber. But i'vr read some stories abiut them which make Century Arms CETME's look state-of-the-art. I'm sure the MAS's aren't all bad but apparently it's very much hit-or-miss...and much more miss than hit in more ways than one.

Anyway I bet you can replace that part with a quality one easily, but part of the problem (I believe) is that AR manufacturers get parts from all over from various sources which have not really been fit together in the same plant.... so there is some Frankengun/Mr Potatogun tendency for the parts to not quite work together in the same mechanism smoothely. The extra stress (in my hypothesis) wesrs them out faster.

For example, in the mest business (I'm a butcher) when you change the rotating star-blade on a commercial grinder, you also need to change the plate with it. The blade rotates against the plate with some considerable torque. They should be together for life so they "wear together". Otherwise they tend to crack and/or jam.
    Last edited by FJW; July 7th, 2017 at 08:10 PM.

(Butler County)

(Westmoreland County)

The French Mas, in the original caliber, is good to go. I had one and loved it. Apparently, Century Arms converted some to shoot .308 (because 7.5x54 ammo wasn't available--Century had to sell the rifles somehow). I thought the rifle was well built (in the original caliber). The scope with base is expensive ($600+).

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    The French Mas, in the original caliber, is good to go. I had one and loved it. Apparently, Century Arms converted some to shoot .308 (because 7.5x54 ammo wasn't available--Century had to sell the rifles somehow). I thought the rifle was well built (in the original caliber). The scope with base is expensive ($600+).
    Yeah but isn't it a nightmare finding that ammo?

(Westmoreland County)

It's not a nightmare. You can easily find it online. I've seen it at gunshows too. I can't find it in stores though. Guess you could reload for it if you keep the brass--and if you can find it. The brass flies around ten feet from the rifle, around 12 and 2 o'clock.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast