Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Raccoon City, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,764
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Questions on AR10 extractor

    just curios is that ZQI Ammo? I read somewhere they use a tarry like substance to waterproof their ammo, and it bulds up in the chamber causing FTE. I was having terrible issues with it until I switched ammo and really cleaned the hell out of the rifle

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Apollo, Pennsylvania
    (Armstrong County)
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,498
    Rep Power
    8183055

    Default Re: Questions on AR10 extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    just curios is that ZQI Ammo? I read somewhere they use a tarry like substance to waterproof their ammo, and it bulds up in the chamber causing FTE. I was having terrible issues with it until I switched ammo and really cleaned the hell out of the rifle
    No, thats German MEN. Good ammo and was my go to cheap 308 in battle packs "back in the day"

    ZQI would be a good guess, pretty soft brass from them. At least in 556.
    Last edited by Nate7667; July 8th, 2017 at 08:33 AM.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    5,007
    Rep Power
    9004415

    Default Re: Questions on AR10 extractor

    My guess is the rifle is slightly over gassed. It appears the bolt is trying to extract the spent round before it has a chance to release from the chamber wall. If you have an adjustable gas block, decrease the amount of gas it's porting. If you don't have an adjustable gas block, swap out the buffer to a heavier one.

    You typically don't need an o-ring on the extractor unless you are having trouble with the extractor slipping of the case on extraction.
    Toujours prÍt

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sarver, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)
    Posts
    575
    Rep Power
    7454328

    Default Re: Questions on AR10 extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    It's not a nightmare. You can easily find it online. I've seen it at gunshows too. I can't find it in stores though. Guess you could reload for it if you keep the brass--and if you can find it. The brass flies around ten feet from the rifle, around 12 and 2 o'clock.
    I'm not into reloading...yet. I wonder if some other brass could be effectively resized for it.
    I imagine the brands making the Frnch ammo are ones like PPU and Prvi Parzitan....Perfecta...Tula, etc.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    1,053
    Rep Power
    21474841

    Default Re: Questions on AR10 extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    The French Mas, in the original caliber, is good to go. I had one and loved it. Apparently, Century Arms converted some to shoot .308 (because 7.5x54 ammo wasn't available--Century had to sell the rifles somehow). I thought the rifle was well built (in the original caliber). The scope with base is expensive ($600+).
    Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    Yeah but isn't it a nightmare finding that ammo?
    Brass is available at Grafs: https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/12648
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    1,053
    Rep Power
    21474841

    Default Re: Questions on AR10 extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    My guess is the rifle is slightly over gassed. It appears the bolt is trying to extract the spent round before it has a chance to release from the chamber wall. If you have an adjustable gas block, decrease the amount of gas it's porting. If you don't have an adjustable gas block, swap out the buffer to a heavier one.

    You typically don't need an o-ring on the extractor unless you are having trouble with the extractor slipping of the case on extraction.
    This is what I was thinking as well, trying to pull it out before it wants to go.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    (Westmoreland County)
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    782565

    Default Re: Questions on AR10 extractor

    Thanks. I was wondering if it might be the gas system. I'm pretty certain this does not have an adjustable gas block. You think a heavier buffer would help? I can take photos of the current buffer if that would help, along with the weight.

    ***Also, I wasn't thinking when I posted this. The buffer tube and spring had a lot of gel-like lubrication when I received it from the manufacturer. I wiped some of it out, but some of the lube was strewn about the buffer area and bolt when I disassembled the rifle after this last range trip. I didn't think that some of the lube could have possibly gotten into the chamber and could have caused pressure issues. Not sure if this would relate to the extraction marks on the rim of the brass.***

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    5,007
    Rep Power
    9004415

    Default Re: Questions on AR10 extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Thanks. I was wondering if it might be the gas system. I'm pretty certain this does not have an adjustable gas block. You think a heavier buffer would help? I can take photos of the current buffer if that would help, along with the weight.

    ***Also, I wasn't thinking when I posted this. The buffer tube and spring had a lot of gel-like lubrication when I received it from the manufacturer. I wiped some of it out, but some of the lube was strewn about the buffer area and bolt when I disassembled the rifle after this last range trip. I didn't think that some of the lube could have possibly gotten into the chamber and could have caused pressure issues. Not sure if this would relate to the extraction marks on the rim of the brass.***
    Check this out:
    http://thearguys.com/ar-facts/difference-ar-15-buffers/

    Some lube in the buffer tube and on the spring/buffer is fine.
    The first time you fire the rifle any lube in the barrel and chamber will be blown out.
    Toujours prÍt

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bellwood (Tyrone), Pennsylvania
    (Blair County)
    Posts
    551
    Rep Power
    587997

    Default Re: Questions on AR10 extractor

    Member “HAWK has hit the nail on the head. The AR-10 does predate the AR-15, but very little serious work has been done on the –10. The –15/-16 has been examined thoroughly by people trying to meet mil-spec contracts. Read “Millions of Dollars”. The –10 was resurrected by some manufacturers with limited development budgets. Then you compounded the gas pressure/timing by selecting a mid-barrel gas port. You need an adjustable system, and that may result in failure to extract/feed. Why do you think that nobody makes a blow-back 308 Win.?
    Steve

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    (Westmoreland County)
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    782565

    Default Re: Questions on AR10 extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWag View Post
    Then you compounded the gas pressure/timing by selecting a mid-barrel gas port.
    Steve
    I selected the rifle. The manufacturer selected the mid length gas tube. I didn't have many options at the time I bought it (the night before the election). IF Hillary had won, I suspected that most places would be sold out on rifles the following day. The .308 lowers I could afford were sold out for a few months prior to the election. This was the most affordable AR10 that I could buy at that time that what I wanted.
    Last edited by Cville; July 9th, 2017 at 02:56 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [CLOSED] BOTH SOLD: Armalite AR10 stripped lower and AR10 LPK
    By bleaman225 in forum Classifieds Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 9th, 2012, 10:53 PM
  2. 1911 Extractor
    By Konsukah_19 in forum Gunsmithing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 16th, 2010, 11:16 AM
  3. 878 remington extractor
    By 308man in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM
  4. Broken extractor
    By soup in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
  5. AR-15 Extractor
    By pghplr in forum General
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: May 23rd, 2008, 09:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops