Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: AR SCOPE MOUNT THAT HAS CO-WITNESS CAPABILITIES ?

A scope won't cowitness right with irons. A red dot or Eotech with no magnification will obviously. Once you get over 3 power on the scope the front sight pretty much goes out of view.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post

You can see on the triplets, that I put a riser under each optic, and they're now co-witnessed with the flip up BUIS.
    I've NEVER seen it done this way ever!! if it works for you...fine! but if the scopes ever fogs up or go black.. and you know once they go black....they aren't going back.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I'll guess. The red dot is as far forward as it can go. I hate that damned area of rail at the transition point. Why do they have to fuck it up by making it too wide to use plus it forces you to do things you'd rather not. There is no room for the BUIS behind the red dot and he doesn't want the red dot way up over the barrel.
    I see what your saying, but if you look closely, he won't be able to un-fold the rear sight without it hitting the scope. Also, he has plenty of room to put those folding rear sights behind the scope and still clear it. He must have another reason to do it the way he's doing it. I suspect he wants a smaller looking rear aperture when using the iron sights, or he is just storing the rear sight there.

Also noticed he's a lefty!
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

From the slings.

(Bucks County)

Does anyone make a flip to side scope mount or rings like they do for the magnifiers?

I swear I remember an old Weaver mount that did that.

I'd imagine that holding zero would be pretty tough.

(Armstrong County)

Sure, piles of 30mm flip mounts.
    Some have 1" inserts as well.

I would honestly get 45* offset irons instead of trying to deal with co-witness irons and a magnified optic.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    What the hell? Why is your rear sight in front of the red dot? If your mount is an absolute cowitness or even lower 1/3, there's no reason to do this.
    My eyes are fucked sufficiently that with the rear BUIS all the way back by the charging handle, it completely disappears, making it useless. I did some experiments and measuring and came up with that rough distance as the closest I could put the rear sight and still have it be visible enough to use with the front. To be more specific, the rear BUIS sits at about the same distance, from the tip of my nose, as the rear sight on the majority of my handguns.
    All of the optics are mounted to quick release risers, and are indeed setup as true cowitness.

I'll guess. The red dot is as far forward as it can go. I hate that damned area of rail at the transition point. Why do they have to fuck it up by making it too wide to use plus it forces you to do things you'd rather not. There is no room for the BUIS behind the red dot and he doesn't want the red dot way up over the barrel.
    Actually, the BUIS can be put behind the optic, and made to flip up. See above about fucked eyes though.
    The red dots are to the proper distance from my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    I've NEVER seen it done this way ever!! if it works for you...fine! but if the scopes ever fogs up or go black.. and you know once they go black....they aren't going back.
    See above about quick release risers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I see what your saying, but if you look closely, he won't be able to un-fold the rear sight without it hitting the scope. Also, he has plenty of room to put those folding rear sights behind the scope and still clear it. He must have another reason to do it the way he's doing it. I suspect he wants a smaller looking rear aperture when using the iron sights, or he is just storing the rear sight there.

The rear BUIS will actually clear the scope cap, with the cap flipped up. Just barely. As the caps are removable totally, sometimes they do slip forward a touch causing the rear sight to hang up. Luckily it's an easy fix when that happens. Then again, see above about quick release risers.

From the slings.
    You are correct, good sirs!

Couldn't you also just buy 45 degree irons and not have to worry about a special scope & mount?
    SAM_0703_Converted.jpg

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    Couldn't you also just buy 45 degree irons and not have to worry about a special scope & mount?
    SAM_0703_Converted.jpg
    Unless u shoot left handed

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    Unless u shoot left handed
    No reason the sights can't be mounted on the other side. Just have to remember windage adjustments are reversed, but most lefties are used to things being backwards...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast