Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile AR SCOPE MOUNT THAT HAS CO-WITNESS CAPABILITIES ?

Where can I find one that will not be to pricey,want to put optics on for hunting .

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR SCOPE MOUNT THAT HAS CO-WITNESS CAPABILITIES ?

So, I assume you have a flattop AR? And want to mount a scope with no magnification so you can co-witness your irons? Or are you asking to keep your irons and some how mount a scope with magnification and be able to use either simultaneously?
    Toujours prêt

Keep the irons and somehow mount a scope which will not be blurred by the front site.

(Armstrong County)

If you want to cowitness a scope with iron sights, on an AR, the first problem you are going to run into is a scope. You have to find a scope that gives you a true X1 magnification.

A lot of more economical scopes claim this, but they really don't. I have tried a few from primary arms and vortex and they are not true X1 power.

You are looking at spending over $1,000 on a low power scope that goes down to a true 1 power. Then the scope rings will depend on which scope you decide on.

Or you can just get offset iron sights or get a quick detatch scope base, and a low profile gas block with flip up iron sights, which is what most decide on

I relly think the low profile gas block would be the way to go. TY 1

You can see on the triplets, that I put a riser under each optic, and they're now co-witnessed with the flip up BUIS.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Keep the irons and somehow mount a scope which will not be blurred by the front site.
    Do you currently have a removable carry handle or a flip up rear sight? How much magnification do you want?
    Co-witness is really not needed unless you plan on going into combat or you want to be tacticool. And as danhr pointed out, you really can't co-witness with a scope that has any magnification beyond a true 1x.
    Personally, I'd recommend just removing your rear sight for hunting and installing a scope. At 4x or higher the front sight will pretty much disappear.
    You'll probably need a cantilever scope mount for a AR for most scopes. Standard scope mounts typically won't give you enough eye relief.
    Something like this: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...op-ar-15-matte
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

I interpret the question as concern that the front sight will subtend the optics, so if it is co-witnessed, it will be something one can live with. I have read that magnification higher than 4X produces an image that excludes the front sight, as Hawk suggests. The front sight on one of my ARs folds down (gas block/sight).
    The other has a BUIS that rides in a pocket somewhere.
    Last edited by Bang; July 8th, 2017 at 01:08 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post

You can see on the triplets, that I put a riser under each optic, and they're now co-witnessed with the flip up BUIS.

What the hell? Why is your rear sight in front of the red dot? If your mount is an absolute cowitness or even lower 1/3, there's no reason to do this.

(Bucks County)

I'll guess. The red dot is as far forward as it can go. I hate that damned area of rail at the transition point. Why do they have to fuck it up by making it too wide to use plus it forces you to do things you'd rather not. There is no room for the BUIS behind the red dot and he doesn't want the red dot way up over the barrel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast