Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Chrome lined vs stainless AR barrels

Can someone please school me in differences of AR barrels? If quality of manufacture is equal, which is better? I have read numerous opinions saying non-chrome-lined melonite type barrels are the most accurate, some say that the chrome-lined are the longest lived, and some say SS are good, right up until they aren't? I am a fan of SS due to easy care, (same fore chrome lined?) ... can anyone explain the difference to me? Technical or personal opinion are both OK !

Thanks, Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

Default Re: Chrome lined vs stainless AR barrels

chrome lined barrels are great for SHTF rifles, general plinking rifles and even hunting rifles where a .5 to 1 MOA shift isn't an issue. However due to the fact chrome plating cannot be equally distributed onto the barrel it will affect accuracy. In my opinion the most accurate barrels will end up being stainless steel hand lapped barrels

(Chester County)

Chrome lined: best barrel life of the bunch. If anyone tells you melonite/nitriding is better from longevity standpoint, just ask how many rounds they've shot through theirs. Chrome lining is often blamed for service rifles' wider groups. However, I tend to believe that it is entirely dependent. I had a Colt HBAR 1:7 C MP barrel that would shoot sub-MOA all day with 69 and 75 grain SMKs. Originally developed to withstand full-auto rates of fire. Easy cleaning. Go with BCM, FN, Colt, DD, Green Mountain, or Knights Armament for these barrels (to name a few).

Melonite/Nitriding: The new kid on the block from a barrel coating perspective. The intent of this is to give the kind of Goldilocks condition: good barrel life and good accuracy. I've got limited experience with Nitriding as I've only got two barrels with it (Ballistic Advantage SPR profile 1:8 twist and Larue 20" Stealth). That being said, that barrels both shoots lights out. My LaRue does 1/2" pretty routinely with 69 grain SMKs. My gut says nitriding won't last as long as chrome lining (especially under rapid fire) but for most of us, it'll do just fine. Easy cleaning. Go with Larue (huge +1 for these guys), Ballistic Advantage, Faxon, Green Mountain to name a few.

Stainless: These are often thought of as "Match Grade" but you'd better know where the barrel blank came from. I've seen some "Match Grade" barrels perform awfully. Just because they're stainless doesn't mean they're great. Buy from a reputable dealer like Douglas or Criterion and you're going to do well. Buy a Bear Creek from Classic...well...just don't do that and save your money. Stainless barrels have a very short "break-in" and typically settle in on their groupings quickly but do this at a cost of shorter barrel life, somewhere around 10-12k rounds. Some shooters will burn out these barrels. The hardest to clean of the bunch IMO. Already mentioned Criterion, Douglas, but don't forget about Kreiger and the likes.

Choice of materials depends on your intended use:

1) Range blaster? Go with Chrome Lined.

2) Mix between target and blaster? Melonite

3) Purely target? Go stainless from a reputable company

Remember, not all barrel manufacturers are equivalent.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    Chrome lined: best barrel life of the bunch. If anyone tells you melonite/nitriding is better from longevity standpoint, just ask how many rounds they've shot through theirs. Chrome lining is often blamed for service rifles' wider groups. However, I tend to believe that it is entirely dependent. I had a Colt HBAR 1:7 C MP barrel that would shoot sub-MOA all day with 69 and 75 grain SMKs. Originally developed to withstand full-auto rates of fire. Easy cleaning. Go with BCM, FN, Colt, DD, Green Mountain, or Knights Armament for these barrels (to name a few).

Melonite/Nitriding: The new kid on the block from a barrel coating perspective. The intent of this is to give the kind of Goldilocks condition: good barrel life and good accuracy. I've got limited experience with Nitriding as I've only got two barrels with it (Ballistic Advantage SPR profile 1:8 twist and Larue 20" Stealth). That being said, that barrels both shoots lights out. My LaRue does 1/2" pretty routinely with 69 grain SMKs. My gut says nitriding won't last as long as chrome lining (especially under rapid fire) but for most of us, it'll do just fine. Easy cleaning. Go with Larue (huge +1 for these guys), Ballistic Advantage, Faxon, Green Mountain to name a few.

Stainless: These are often thought of as "Match Grade" but you'd better know where the barrel blank came from. I've seen some "Match Grade" barrels perform awfully. Just because they're stainless doesn't mean they're great. Buy from a reputable dealer like Douglas or Criterion and you're going to do well. Buy a Bear Creek from Classic...well...just don't do that and save your money. Stainless barrels have a very short "break-in" and typically settle in on their groupings quickly but do this at a cost of shorter barrel life, somewhere around 10-12k rounds. Some shooters will burn out these barrels. The hardest to clean of the bunch IMO. Already mentioned Criterion, Douglas, but don't forget about Kreiger and the likes.

Choice of materials depends on your intended use:

1) Range blaster? Go with Chrome Lined.

2) Mix between target and blaster? Melonite

3) Purely target? Go stainless from a reputable company

Remember, not all barrel manufacturers are equivalent.
    I'd say that about covers it. I'll add a link to this in the AR build sticky.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Bucks County)

Seems the average bear pictures the bright shiny plated enhancements found on a motor vehicle when they hear or read "chrome".

Not so. The chrome used to line a bore is not the same. It is placed there for its hardness and smoothness. Reciprocating aircraft engine cylinder bores were chromed to obtain the benefits. Japanese motorcycle engineers have moved on from chrome to ceramic coatings.

I can offer nothing to the argument regarding effects on accuracy or POI. I'm just offering what I know of chrome-lined bores.

(Berks County)

Back in the day they claimed that chrome lining was for the stoppages from rusty chambers in the rainy jungle. They rusted in a day. Couldn't get spent cases out. Many dead guys found with rifles broke open trying to unjam them.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Back in the day they claimed that chrome lining was for the stoppages from rusty chambers in the rainy jungle. They rusted in a day. Couldn't get spent cases out. Many dead guys found with rifles broke open trying to unjam them.
    Also Combloc rifles had it because of corrosive primers.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lancaster County)

Thanks Guys !

Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Also Combloc rifles had it because of corrosive primers.
    Along with thinly copper plated steel bullet jackets.

(Allegheny County)

I don't think it really makes much of a difference what the barrel is made of as long as you get one from a reputable manufacturer. Barrels are relativity cheap and easily replaced after 10K or more rounds.
    If you want top accuracy to compete with, then you need to do a lot of research and pick the brains of fellow competitors and fork out the cash!
    Toujours prêt