Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Called Congressman about the ATF.

So I am not sure where to put this other than here, but I spoke with the ATF today. They told me upward of 14 months for my approval. I asked what happened to the eight months that I was quoted for the past several months. She stated that "While we are almost done with the forms submitted before the law change we have not yet submitted fingerprints to the FBI for review. The average wait for prints returned from the FBI is 30-90 days. So given our current review time of 11 months plus 30-90 days for the FBI, I would expect post law change forms to be 14 months".

Yes, she kept saying LAW. I continually stated no it is a rule Congress makes LAWs you changed a rule without Congress.

So I called Tim Murphy to see what Congress can do. I know I have to wait for my space in line, but the fact that they haven't even sent prints to the FBI yet is ludicrous. Prints should have been sent out waiting for an examiner to review everything when a form gets to the top of the stack. Not sure what will happen but I am one unhappy constituent right now.

Default Re: Called Congressman about the ATF.

I'm still waiting. Its been 14mos for mine but I pushed the wrong button
    when submitting a e-form. So it sat dormant for 14mos. I was emailing the eform guy every day (he was answering every day) for almost a week.
    Got the form submitted monday, was approved today. (what ever approved means).
    I feel your pain.

Mods move this to the NFA thread..

(Adams County)

Cash your check in 3 days though, Congress needs to take suppressors off the NFA item list and the wait would be just a few months at most.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Corey G View Post
    Cash your check in 3 days though, Congress needs to take suppressors off the NFA item list and the wait would be just a few months at most.
    Better yet, just repeal the entire infringement. No wait times, and will a new automatics allowed, prices return to reasonable.

(Allegheny County)

Those guys who build pistols with braces are so dumb. Why would you do it - why not just SBR it? I don't get it.

On a serious note, that's absurd. Good luck. I doubt having luck will help, but it sure would be nice if the process weren't so ridiculously bogged down.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

I called back today. They told me January. They said the likely reason is that people who submitted in late November and December are being processed by other agencies now. They estimate around 130k forms a head of me.

Personally, I think they are all full of shit which is why I also called Tim Murphy back today and asked that my previous request come from someone who has the power to get the truth not just some operator on the phone.

Finally got an answer and none of us are going to like it. The ATF is now quoting 14+ months for all trusts.

Does anyone know what, exactly, goes into these "examinations" that can't be handled by NICS?
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Corey G View Post
    If the Hearing Protection Act were passed, it would only take minutes (NICS check) for you to get a suppressor. I say NICS because PA doesn't not allow (at this time) a BGC for suppressors because PA does not consider them firearms (unlike the ATF) so PA FFL's can use NICS only for suppressors (this was for pre 7/16 forms- post 7/16 the approved form 4's will come with an approval number and PA FFL's won't even have to call NICS.)
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Does anyone know what, exactly, goes into these "examinations" that can't be handled by NICS?
    1. The Forms are sent to Atlanta where the ATF does the money thing. The forms are then bundled up and sent to WV to the NFA Branch to start the process.
    2. When it hits the examiners desk the fingerprints cards (for a trust all the FP cards) get sent to the FBI where they are put in a pile and worked first in, first out.
    3. The trust itself is sent to the ATF legal people to have it reviewed to make sure the wording is correct/document is legal (again supposed to be FIFO).
    4. The examiner does whatever background check they do for each person on the form.

Could it be handled by NICS - maybe, the trusts still have to be scrutinized so NICS would probably have to ship them off for someone to say they are ok and wait for their return.

That's why we need to keep pestering congress to get the HPA passed.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast