Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Called Congressman about the ATF.

Quote Originally Posted by duqjeep2010 View Post
    Finally got an answer and none of us are going to like it. The ATF is now quoting 14+ months for all trusts.
    I'm not saying it won't be 14 months, but don't give up hope, with my dozen plus transfers I have never once been given an accurate time estimate by anyone from the atf.

Keep an eye on nfatracker.com. It's been pretty good at predicting my individual transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    1. The Forms are sent to Atlanta where the ATF does the money thing. The forms are then bundled up and sent to WV to the NFA Branch to start the process.
    2. When it hits the examiners desk the fingerprints cards (for a trust all the FP cards) get sent to the FBI where they are put in a pile and worked first in, first out.
    3. The trust itself is sent to the ATF legal people to have it reviewed to make sure the wording is correct/document is legal (again supposed to be FIFO).
    4. The examiner does whatever background check they do for each person on the form.

Could it be handled by NICS - maybe, the trusts still have to be scrutinized so NICS would probably have to ship them off for someone to say they are ok and wait for their return.

That's why we need to keep pestering congress to get the HPA passed.

A lot of unnecessary red tape. All the FBI is doing with the fingerprints is a background check. What more can they get than the instant check from NICS? Especially from someone already "established" in NFA. Or like me, for example, that has a rolling 30 day FBI background check.

I agree with pestering our reps about this blatant infringement. A right delayed is no right at all.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    A lot of unnecessary red tape. All the FBI is doing with the fingerprints is a background check. What more can they get than the instant check from NICS? Especially from someone already "established" in NFA. Or like me, for example, that has a rolling 30 day FBI background check.

I agree with pestering our reps about this blatant infringement. A right delayed is no right at all.
    I do not disagree at all. The bad thing is that this has been done this way basically for ever and I doubt that anyone there wants it changed (might hurt their employment) so it is just not looked at internally to try to speed it up. Just guessing, I really don't know. It WILL take an act of congress OR a ruling change from the director of the BATFE. He can change it with the stroke of a pen if he so desires (the current director is an Obama appointee but we're hoping that will change).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12