Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: H&R SB2 .223

(Cumberland County)

Default H&R SB2 .223

What are your thoughts on the H&R single shots? I have mine in the bull.barrel 223. I sure can't find anything to complain about with it. It locks up tight, the trigger is super smooth, and it will out-shoot me. I am thinking about getting another barrel for it. I was leaning towards 308, but I also wouldn't mind 7mm-08.

Default Re: H&R SB2 .223

Going to be tough to find barrels for H&R since they closed down. Also, you can't just swap a barrel and it's GTG. When H&R was in business, you would have to send back the receiver to H&R to have them fit it to the barrel.

They shoot well, minus the 243 barrels. I had a really great shooting laminate stock in 223 that I sold to a friend.

(Jefferson County)

4/5 of my gun closet are H&R/NEF single shots. When I do hunt, I use one of my single shots(except when hunting small game with a .22LR).

The H&R/NEF single shot platform is a good one, but as aubie515 mentioned above - H&R is out of business. ...have been for about 2 years now.

Even then you had to send your firearm to them to fit the barrel to your receiver. H&R's weren't like T/C Contenders where they were made to precise measurements so that a receiver could automatically fit any barrel made.

Your only option will be to acquire used barrels then file/shim them yourself. And anymore they are going for a premium due to demand and no longer being in production.

The H&R/NEF line isn't perfect, they have their issues. But nothing that you really cant get to work with some tweaking.

If you want to pursue the H&R/NEF platform, I highly suggest signing up at Graybeardoutdoors.com . They took on H&R's former forums and is the mack daddy place for H&R's(I've been a member there longer than here).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

I will definitely look up greybeard. Thank you. I like my h&r, and I'm sure I will be adding more to my collection.