Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Casting and reloading for 223

I've never cast for a varmit gun. I assume that heavy for caliber is the way to go. I will be shooting these in a single shot h&r. I was wondering if anyone else has done this. Any help would be appreciated.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Casting and reloading for 223

Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    I've never cast for a varmit gun. I assume that heavy for caliber is the way to go. I will be shooting these in a single shot h&r. I was wondering if anyone else has done this. Any help would be appreciated.
    Since your shooting a non AR you have a lot of options . My only experience was with the AR with with the rcbs now lee copy in 55 gr , the saeco 60 gr and the Noe 70 gr all shot OK with about 20-22gr of 4895, as the loads went up the groups got much bigger my best groups did as well as cheap(wolf) ball ammo nothing great and I really didn't try again after that . But in your gun you could load it up with quite a few different powders and at speeds from sub and up till your groups fall apart . There are many many threads on cast in the 223 over at castboolits.com site Good luck

Tim

(Cumberland County)

I have been doing a good bit of research on it, I was looking at the lee as a starting point. Thank you for the info.

I have a 62gr, 70gr, 75gr and 100gr molds for .223. All are gas checked bullets except the 100gr one. Have not done much with the 100gr one as it is new. The 62gr bullet is the design from Heavy Metal molds which are not made anymore. It is a very good design and works well even at higher velocities (over 2500fps) if you know what you are doing. I think I have some of the 62gr bullets cast up (not checked or lubed) I could send you some if you want to try them. I think the 62gr would probably be better suited to the twist rate on the H&R. Getting accuracy out of .223 cast can require attention to detail. Weight sorting, culling bullets with even minor defects, making sure the check is on perfect, etc.

(Jefferson County)

223Rem Handi's came in 1:12" and 1:9". The 1:12" have a reputation for being limited to 55gr length bullets. The 1:9" tend to handle upto 69gr length bullets.

You first need to figure out which twist rate you have. I may be able to tell you by the year of production, which will require the letters at the beginning of your serial number.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Cast throws a wrench into the old twist rate rule of thumb. You really have to test them out and see.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    223Rem Handi's came in 1:12" and 1:9". The 1:12" have a reputation for being limited to 55gr length bullets. The 1:9" tend to handle upto 69gr length bullets.

You first need to figure out which twist rate you have. I may be able to tell you by the year of production, which will require the letters at the beginning of your serial number.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Cast throws a wrench into the old twist rate rule of thumb. You really have to test them out and see.

The biggest problem with cast bullets and twist rates (for rifles) is that is the original twist rate needed to stabilize the bullet is dependent on the velocity the round was meant to be shot at. A full power .223 has a velocity of ~3000fps and even then the twist barely stabilizes the bullet. You would be lucky to find a cast load .22 that is accurate after 1500 fps. The big question is will the bullet stabilize at half the velocity. The answer is generally No.

I have not tried loading cast in a .223. But I have experimented with a .22 hornet cast load and I did find one that is a good plinking load out to 50 yards with my Contender. Even with the Hornets small case volume it was easy to overload it and my accuracy turned to crap.

Loading a .223 will be even more challenging with the larger case volume (but it seems like some people have had good results so what do I know).

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    The biggest problem with cast bullets and twist rates (for rifles) is that is the original twist rate needed to stabilize the bullet is dependent on the velocity the round was meant to be shot at. A full power .223 has a velocity of ~3000fps and even then the twist barely stabilizes the bullet. You would be lucky to find a cast load .22 that is accurate after 1500 fps. The big question is will the bullet stabilize at half the velocity. The answer is generally No.

I have not tried loading cast in a .223. But I have experimented with a .22 hornet cast load and I did find one that is a good plinking load out to 50 yards with my Contender. Even with the Hornets small case volume it was easy to overload it and my accuracy turned to crap.

Loading a .223 will be even more challenging with the larger case volume (but it seems like some people have had good results so what do I know).
    I concur. The cast thing thrown in with the twist rate, then factor in the higher velocities = mixed bag of shit. You'll often have to play with different alloys, bullet diameters, the aspect of gas checks, etc, etc. High velocity and cast already dont mix well, often resulting in leading, blow-by, and other issues.

Personally I don't find it economical, practical, or worth the time to deal with high velocity cast - especially small diameters. Once you're around .400" or larger(maybe as low as .35 caliber), then it becomes a different ballgame.

For what you can get cheapo .224" jacketed bullets for($$$) - it really isn't worth the effort to go cast.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    I have a 62gr, 70gr, 75gr and 100gr molds for .223. All are gas checked bullets except the 100gr one. Have not done much with the 100gr one as it is new. The 62gr bullet is the design from Heavy Metal molds which are not made anymore. It is a very good design and works well even at higher velocities (over 2500fps) if you know what you are doing. I think I have some of the 62gr bullets cast up (not checked or lubed) I could send you some if you want to try them. I think the 62gr would probably be better suited to the twist rate on the H&R. Getting accuracy out of .223 cast can require attention to detail. Weight sorting, culling bullets with even minor defects, making sure the check is on perfect, etc.
    I've looked to see if I could find a copy of that mold and no such luck. I wouldn't mind trying it though. I will pm you my info And thank you.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

thank you, the serial number is HU 319060.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast