Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm luger

(Allegheny County)

Question 9mm luger

Is there one right answer to this question.

I use bull's-eye powder and a 115 grain plated Berry bullets. Presently I am using 4.2 grains of powder, I would like to go to 4.4 grains but I am not sure if that is safe or not. My reloading catalog says one thing, but when I look on the net there are other catalogs that give different data figures as to what the max load should be. My CZ 75 B and my P 38-01 seem to prefer something a little hotter than 4.2 grains of powder.

I value all your opinions. Thanks. Joe

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: 9mm luger

joeyj- my favorite load is 4.5 of Bullseye when using a 115 grain bullet. HOWEVER>...I say that only after starting at 4.1 and working my way up to 4.5 in a solid 1911 platform over a long period of time, looking for signs of pressure at the end of every string. I was looking for a strong load but nothing that would stress the firearm too much...BE CAREFUL AND WORK YOUR WAY UP. Reloading manuals differ, as do pistols. Be safe, be careful.

(Lehigh County)

Alliant's data shows a max of 4.7 for 115 gr bullets in 9mm. Work your way up slowly, test, inspect fired cases. Watch OAL also!

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...1&cartridge=23

If that is a vintage P-38, remember it is older tech.
    Last edited by gghbi; July 5th, 2017 at 04:24 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

I use the Berrys but not the Bullseye in my CZ75B. Were I to begin using Bullseye, I would consult Alliant's online reload data for the max charge (4.7 gr) and velocity (1,144 fps). The velocity is fine for the Berrys, and I'm not gonna go to max anyhow.

So I would find a COL that my pistol will feed dummy cartridges well (you already seem to have one), and make up 5 rounds at each of 4.2, 4.4, and 4.6gr. I would also take 5 rounds of my current load (4.7gr of HP38, COL 1.110") or 5 factory 9mm. I'd fire all 4 groups from a rest at 10yds and compare feed, ejection, ejection distance, recoil, and accuracy. I'd choose the Bullseye load that I liked the best.

Without a chrono, recoil and ejection distance are pretty much all you have to judge relative pressure of the loads. But I'm not worried that any of the loads I'd test here would be unsafe in the CZ. (I'm also not worried about testing 4.8gr, but would have no need to go there for my purposes.)

(Bucks County)

I load 115gr plated round nose, with 5.3 gr of Unique. That chronographs an average of 1041 from a Glock 23 with Lone Wolf conversion barrel. So much has been written about the 9mm Parabellum/Luger, some saying the original German 9mm was a stronger load than our safer American loads. If that's correct, an older P-38 or 08 is plenty strong. Pot metal self-destructs over time. Real steel not so much.
    Last edited by Bang; July 5th, 2017 at 10:11 PM.

(Wyoming County)

I don't know the technicalities behind the suggestion on Berry's Plated Bullets website, but I believe they recommend using load data for lead bullets of a comparable weight, which makes it very difficult to even come close to their max velocity of 1250fps for the standard plated bullets.

You can use published load data for lead/cast bullets or low to mid-range FMJ data, as long as it is the same weight bullet. Berry's offers our standard plate bullets which can handle velocities up to 1,250 fps and 1,500 fps for our Thick Plate (TP) versions.
    Here's a link to what they call their "THICK PLATE" 115gn which apparently is ok to use data for FMJ ->
    The bullet profile is longer but the weight remains the same and you can load these bullets using any published load data for a jacketed bullet as long as it is the same weight bullet.
    link:https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/bp-9mm-356-115gr-hbrn-tp
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I load 115gr plated round nose, with 5.3 gr of Unique. That chronographs an average of 1041 from a Glock 23 with Lone Wolf conversion barrel. So much has been written about the 9mm Parabellum/Luger, some saying the original German 9mm was a stronger load than our safer American loads. If that's correct, an older P-38 or 08 is plenty strong. Pot metal self-destructs over time. Real steel not so much.
    I worked with a guy who said his early model Luger wouldn't even fully cycle on modern "standard" 9mm and needed really hot loads.

(Indiana County)

As mentioned, you gotta watch when using plated bullets.

When you say your pistols "like" hotter loads in what way are you speaking?
    Are they more accurate?
    Function better?

(Bucks County)

A few years ago I phoned Berry's and spoke with a tech. He told me just use the propellant charge tables for Gold Dot bullets.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    A few years ago I phoned Berry's and spoke with a tech. He told me just use the propellant charge tables for Gold Dot bullets.
    Wow, I'd think the 6.3grns of Unique that is the max for GDHP 115grn would be a little hot for a plated bullet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast