Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Bushmaster XM-15 QRC incoming

Hi folks!

My LGS ran a "too good to pass up" special over the weekend on Bushmaster XM-15's, so I pulled the trigger. After rebate the rifle will cost just over $350. I opted for the QRC with Mini Red Dot since it was only a few bucks more.

This will be my first AR-15 and I am pretty excited about bringing one into the collection. However, I have a lot of questions. I am interested in the objective opinion of good folks like you that have may more experience with AR's (possibly even this particular model) than myself. The money hasn't been spent yet (I am picking up Wednesday or Saturday) so figured better to ask now.

• I have read a lot of positive reviews stating that this is a good "starter rifle" that can be upgraded easily. Am I incorrectly reading into that statement to mean, "good as a range toy only?" Because if I am only going to spend hundreds later upgrading, I might as well find a factory rifle that is already spec'd closer to what I may want. Since I own several Springfield firearms, this one came to mind, and it was highly recommended to me by a friend who owns one. I have not had a chance to shoot his yet though, as he lives out of state. Please don't flame me as I haven't read the most positive things about the Springfield offering here.
    • Does anyone have any experiences with this rifle (or Bushmaster AR's in general) that they can share?
    • One of the reasons I considered an AR-15 is for home defense. I then found an older post on this forum that led me to believe using an AR-15 in this manner would be irresponsible due to over-penetration, as well as the myriad potential legal ramifications or consequences of using such a weapon. Without restarting the "AR for home defense" debate, given the current climate, as well as the variety of ammunition available, is it still considered to be an unwise decision to use the AR for home defense? Or at the very least, would making it a "last resort" decision still be considered the best course? When answering, bear in mind I live in a small apartment where the front door is 34' from our bedroom, so a home defense situation would likely mean a close-quarter scenario (which is what my Springfield XDM is for). My thinking is, the AR would be useful in the event of a larger scale issue.

I thank everyone that takes the time to read and respond to my post. Have a great 4th!!

Default Re: Bushmaster XM-15 QRC incoming

Congrats on your 1st AR ! I personally stay away from Bushmaster ! Several LGSs referred to the warranty work as a long ordeal of waiting on return from factory !

(Bucks County)

If I didn't have an AR, and I only had a $350 budget, I would've bought it. It should be reliable and accurate enough. You can upgrade it, but I would probably save for another one, or save part way, then sell the Bushmaster when you are ready to upgrade. It'll be fun for a while.

As far as for home defense, a lot of people use them that way. Living in a small apartment, I personally would get a different weapon for home defense. That being said, if my life is in danger, and all I had in the apartment was my AR, I would absolutely use it. You can mitigate some of the collateral damage by getting frangible ammo.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    If I didn't have an AR, and I only had a $350 budget, I would've bought it. It should be reliable and accurate enough. You can upgrade it, but I would probably save for another one, or save part way, then sell the Bushmaster when you are ready to upgrade. It'll be fun for a while.
    Yeah, I thought that might be the way to go. But part of me feels like skipping the part where I buy the Bushmaster and then sell it at a loss. I think I am very impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    As far as for home defense, a lot of people use them that way. Living in a small apartment, I personally would get a different weapon for home defense. That being said, if my life is in danger, and all I had in the apartment was my AR, I would absolutely use it. You can mitigate some of the collateral damage by getting frangible ammo.
    This is what I thought. As much as I want an AR, I couldn't possibly defend making it my go-to for home defense when I already have several 9mm's that are more than capable. If my AR winds up strictly for range day only, can I really justify spending $1000 or more? Probably not. That is why I thought the Bushmaster at around $350 made sense.

(Wayne County)

It would be unwise to depend on $350 ar15 as a home defense tool. Not because of a sale price. Because of overall quality.

Its like serving McDonald burgers for a family dinner. I hope you got the point.

Its a fun range toy I'd say.

You don't have to spend $1000 for a reliable ar15. Right now I would say its close to $600-700

My mistake on the first Bushmaster we purchased a 20" for a gun game we shot and it was too heavy for us to be fast enough. The one we have now is totally acceptable. With a little less than a 1000 rds. through it the only problem was FF cured by a different mag. Keep it clean and lubed and it will be an honest rifle.

When taking any opinions form the internet always do your homework and try to form your own opinion as everybody thinks that they are right. A lot of the AR crowd follow the trends and don't shoot enough to have any real basis for their opinions. We have a friend that will only shoot Scars and everything else is junk, when we go out to play I see no difference in our AR's. If you do not plan to shoot thousands of rounds most of the brands on the market will be just fine and as a defensive tool there is not a lot up grades needed. Save the money from tricky toys and shoot enough ammo to learn the weapon and range test it.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Wayne County)

After you get home separate the upper from the lower, take the bolt out of the carrier, the firing pin out of the bolt... Clean everything and when you think your done do it again....Use quality magazines and quality ammo...It will most likely go bang every time you pull the trigger.. Good luck and welcome to the world of the AR...
    Black Olives Matter !

(Berks County)

Houses come in lots of different constructions. Most new homes are wood and Sheetrock. A 9mm will penetrate more of that then the average 55gr 223/5.56. Ar has great use in home defense. Knowing your home and it's surroundings and where your family and neighbors are all factor in on home defense.

Bushmaster is a descent Ar. No daniel defense (drool drool) but $350 is something you would have regrets if you passed it up.

[QUOTE=Gunsnwater;3589222]Houses come in lots of different constructions. Most new homes are wood and Sheetrock. A 9mm will penetrate more of that then the average 55gr 223/5.56. Ar has great use in home defense.

We have a retired weapons trainer for the Ill. State Police and those ar his exact words. Being of the generation who thought that 5.56 was a ground hog gun and recommended 9mm and .45 acp for home defense. He gave me copies of tests on interior wall penetration that proved the 5.56 was a better round. He also said to look into frangible rounds as they were unproven at the time he retired.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Montgomery County)

Tanners is running some great deals. I would recommend not getting the QRC. I would get the Bushmaster minimalist. (which I did) Pretty sure they still have some. $549 after the rebate. If you look at the upgrades with the MFT stock and grip. ALG trigger,and AAC flash hider and handguard it's a bargain. Just add an optic and ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast