Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Bushmaster XM-15 QRC incoming

I ran a select fire Bushmaster at work and own an XM15 carbine. I have run thousands and thousands of rounds through it without issue. It is a defensive rifle and shoots very acceptable groups with a red dot sight on it and XM193 ammunition. Enjoy. Everyone needs at least ONE AR. Like others though, I suspect that they will soon start to multiply in your safe. Welcome to the dark side.

(Allegheny County)

The prices mentioned in the video are not in line with current pricing, but the point remains valid.
    That said, if you are completely new to the AR15, I can see no harm in spending $350 on a complete rifle.

Think about it this way - compared to a few short years ago when there was a scare of gun bans, the panic pricing would have pushed that same damned rifle upwards of $1,200.
    Embrace the deals. Spend $350 now and then the next time you will build one with the exact parts you want. So you spent $350 - big deal - it's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

I don't get the knocks against using a factory built "budget" rifle for home defense. What the hell goes wrong with them?
    People build their own rifles out of parts made by god knows who and I never even hear of problems with those franken-guns outside of a few things that may need tweaked.

It was put to me like this a while back...
    Is a $1,200 rifle better than a $350 rifle?
    Probably , but is it 3x better? Probably not.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

New Bushmaster AR for $350 - snap it up while you can. they are just as good as any other rifle in their price range and even better then some of the others. You will be very happy with it. If you buy it and for some reason it's just not for you and you wish you had the $350 back PM me I'll take it off your hands LOL so there you go it's a win win for you.
    Every day's a Saturday

(York County)

But then you will have a rifle that all the internet rambos that have ODed on their Colt (6920) cool-aid will say is a worthless frankingun

I agree with you 100% you can build a much nicer rifle for your money if you just do your homework and watch for the parts you want to go on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

The prices mentioned in the video are not in line with current pricing, but the point remains valid.
    That said, if you are completely new to the AR15, I can see no harm in spending $350 on a complete rifle.

Think about it this way - compared to a few short years ago when there was a scare of gun bans, the panic pricing would have pushed that same damned rifle upwards of $1,200.
    Embrace the deals. Spend $350 now and then the next time you will build one with the exact parts you want. So you spent $350 - big deal - it's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

I don't get the knocks against using a factory built "budget" rifle for home defense. What the hell goes wrong with them?
    People build their own rifles out of parts made by god knows who and I never even hear of problems with those franken-guns outside of a few things that may need tweaked.

It was put to me like this a while back...
    Is a $1,200 rifle better than a $350 rifle?
    Probably , but is it 3x better? Probably not.
    Every day's a Saturday

(Montgomery County)

Buy it, keep your pistol as home defense, and have fun at the range. It's a small investment. Down the line you can buy a more expensive gun if you fall in love with ARs.

(Bucks County)

my first ar was a bushy. two rather annoying issues....one was a more a learning experience.

it was commercial, not mil-spec (all the goodies had to be exchanged...learning experience...check first)

the bolt would not hold open when empty.

other than that, the rifle was great. accurate, reliable, inexpensive in terms of ar style rifles.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(York County)

My 1st. was a Colt R6001 I bought it new in the late 70s I had the same issue with not holding the bolt back after the last round for the 1st few hundred rounds using light ammo but it seemed to work fine with 62gr ammo and after it had some range time on it it worked with the lighter bullets just fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    my first ar was a bushy. two rather annoying issues....one was a more a learning experience.

it was commercial, not mil-spec (all the goodies had to be exchanged...learning experience...check first)

the bolt would not hold open when empty.

other than that, the rifle was great. accurate, reliable, inexpensive in terms of ar style rifles.
    Every day's a Saturday

(Bucks County)

Bushmaster are entry level AR15"S and for that price you can't go wrong. BM has been around for a while and they've had issues like any other manufacturer. Lots of folks bash BM, DPMS and a few others but most are just regurgitating what they heard or read on the Internet. Enjoy your new rifle it should be fine for the reasons you bought it

(Lancaster County)

Shoot it and have fun with it at the range. Figure out what you like, if you like it, and how to use it. Then when you want one for SHTF get something a bit nicer. This would be what I would do. You'll probably want three or four more ARs for different uses anyway once you get used to this one. You've already bought the gun so no going back.

Alternatively, if you are absolutely set using that for SHTF (be it a zombie attack or bump in the night) or don't have the budget for another make sure it's going to work. Trial it extensively with the ammo and mags you plan to use and keep it clean and ready. You should do this with any gun you are planning to use to defend yourself.

As for Bushmaster, not much opinion there. My only one is an XM15 DCM produced shortly after Freedom Group bought them so still more or less by the original company. As a match gun that is used and maintained as such I don't really think it's fair to compare it to a normal M4 style gun, but it's been great to me in the short time I've owned it.

(Chester County)

Most factory guns will shoot for a long period of time but after using them for a while you'll begin to see where the quality lacks. You already own the Bushmaster so just go out and shoot it until you find it's faults. Then decide whether to upgrade or trade in. Just go out and have fun with it in the mean time and don't worry about armchair commandos.

The Bushmaster name was bought by Remington a bunch of years back. The original company that made Bushmaster is now Windham Weaponry and they make their firearms in Maine where the original Bushmaster was made. They are a different class than the current Remington Bushmaster. Their prices reflect that difference in quality and service.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast