Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default FFL license holder needed for Philadelphia gun show

I am looking to sell my collection of over 125 guns at the Philadelphia gun show in July 2017. I need a person with FFL that can do transfers and sales. Will pay 10% of each sale and you keep all allowable fees less the actual fee to Feds.

Default Re: FFL license holder needed for Philadelphia gun show

If you want to work a deal with an FFL who's already set up at that show, you may get someone.

If you're looking to rent an FFL for the weekend to sit at your table, honestly, I don't think that's going to be tempting to most FFL's. You want them to sit at a table at a show for 2-3 days, selling maybe 1-3 guns per hour, and getting 10% of the sale price?

You don't say what guns these are, but the higher the value, the fewer the sales. So let's say you manage to sell $400 worth of guns per hour, either 2 cheap guns or half of an $800 gun. That's $40, for being stuck sitting there, and entering the guns into his bound book, and dealing with PICS and the 4473 and maybe the handgun form, and then logging them out to the buyers.

Meanwhile, most FFL's these days have storefronts, and they can't be there while they're at the show.

I wish you luck, but it might work better to find a storefront FFL and pay the usual 20% consignment fees. That way they aren't investing time just trying to sell your guns to a limited number of attendees who have scores of other dealers competing for their dollars.

Also note that the rules for private sales of long guns vary from sales of handguns.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Indiana County)

Sell any long guns through a private sale.

Typically at any gunshow I've ever attended there are smaller dealers who are doing handgun transfers for a fee.
    Set up your long guns during setup time and then before unpacking your handguns go wander around asking dealers if they'd be interested in doing transfers for you.
    Remember their fee, remember their location and then get ready to sell.

Make sure you have someone with you to watch your stuff when you have to go do a transfer.

Pricing will depend on how much you sell, as will desirability, common hunting rifles are a tough sell, especially this time of the year.
    Older mil-surp is an easier sell, if priced right as crufflers are cheapskates...

Good luck.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If you're looking to rent an FFL for the weekend to sit at your table, honestly, I don't think that's going to be tempting to most FFL's. You want them to sit at a table at a show for 2-3 days, selling maybe 1-3 guns per hour, and getting 10% of the sale price?
    I was really tempted. But being my lic's and bound book only got unwrapped last week, I should do a few before dealing with the cluster of a large philly show. The offer is fair for a guy like me who does not have stock yet. However I would have req a min $ from the OP to cover my time regardless of what sells- and lunches/admission.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Usmcboywonder55 View Post
    I am looking to sell my collection of over 125 guns at the Philadelphia gun show in July 2017. I need a person with FFL that can do transfers and sales. Will pay 10% of each sale and you keep all allowable fees less the actual fee to Feds.
    Whatcha got?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Whatcha got?
    I was going to ask the same thing. He may be able to start a few deals without leaving his computer.

Throw out a list !

(Lancaster County)

Let the feeding frenzy begin!

On a more serious note, aside from consignment, consider talking to a decent, bigger auction house. Someone like Cordier in Harrisburg may work, or a national auction like Rock Island; I have never used either of these, consulted with RIA but went another direction, so do your research first. Depends on what you have and median value. Only issue I see with a collection that large is depending on the shop you consign with, they may want to only handle certain pieces or some at a time but you may get a higher price with a little patience and better deal on your end. Downside to auction is what it sells for is what it sells for unless it is something really, really special that commands a reserve. A strong theme to your items would probably help it do better at auction (ie 150 lever guns or 150 milsurps or 150 Winchesters etc) as it will attract a bunch of like minded bidders for the entire set of lots, versus a collection of various genres which will attract various groups of 4-5 people in for 4-5 guns. Not saying one is better than the other but simply going by what I have observed for both guns and other items.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by tacogewehr View Post
    Let the feeding frenzy begin!

On a more serious note, aside from consignment, consider talking to a decent, bigger auction house. Someone like Cordier in Harrisburg may work, or a national auction like Rock Island; I have never used either of these, consulted with RIA but went another direction, so do your research first. Depends on what you have and median value. Only issue I see with a collection that large is depending on the shop you consign with, they may want to only handle certain pieces or some at a time but you may get a higher price with a little patience and better deal on your end. Downside to auction is what it sells for is what it sells for unless it is something really, really special that commands a reserve. A strong theme to your items would probably help it do better at auction (ie 150 lever guns or 150 milsurps or 150 Winchesters etc) as it will attract a bunch of like minded bidders for the entire set of lots, versus a collection of various genres which will attract various groups of 4-5 people in for 4-5 guns. Not saying one is better than the other but simply going by what I have observed for both guns and other items.
    The poster never mentioned what kind of guns they are.
    65 single shot Rossi shotguns, 40 worn out break top revolvers and a few dozen plastic stocked hunting rifles and shotguns don't do too well in auctions.

Assuming they have 150 collectible firearms might be a stretch.

Maybe they do, but maybe they don't.

A coworker is a big time hunter and fisherman, he has over 50 guns and not a single one is collectible.
    Every single one has been produced in the last 20 years and are typical hunting firearms of no particular special value.

(Westmoreland County)

Also the OP noted he would like to move the items at the Philly Gun show in July. That show is notoriously slow sales-wise in July and will be a bit short on dealers. (Most shows are slow in July) The OP might want to wait till the Oaks show in August to begin moving his collection. This will give him time to arrange things a bit less ad hoc and business usually starts to pick up then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast