Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: FFL license holder needed for Philadelphia gun show

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    Also the OP noted he would like to move the items at the Philly Gun show in July. That show is notoriously slow sales-wise in July and will be a bit short on dealers. (Most shows are slow in July) The OP might want to wait till the Oaks show in August to begin moving his collection. This will give him time to arrange things a bit less ad hoc and business usually starts to pick up then.
    ^^^This guy, he knows what of he speaks.

I recommended taking them to an auction house that does firearms auctions. I've been dealing with Alderfers for many years. I'm amazed at the prices guns bring there. I've bought collections and taken the guns I didn't want there because it's close , it's quick and easy and even though they take 20% , they've gotten my more than I could ever expect selling FTF. Between the usual bidding frenzy , and because they misrepresent stuff so bad that internet buyers really get hosed.

There are 1 or 2 other auction houses that set up at Oaks and Ag Hall. One only takes 10%.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

The thing about auction houses, is the combined effect of the "buyer's premium" and the "seller's premium", and the sales tax.

Let's say that you could get $500 for your gun, via a free PAFOA ad. Or you can take it to an auction house where people are willing to pay $700.

Smart bidders factor in the 10% "buyer's premium" when they bid, so if they're willing to pay $700 out of pocket, they do some rough math first. If they bid $600, it will cost them another $60 for a 10% premium, then another $40 or so for the 6% sales tax. So they pay $600 and get the gun for $700.

The seller doesn't get the sales tax, or the bidder's premium, of course. The seller also pays a 10% seller's premium, so of the $600 sale price they get $540.

In other words, if auction bidders are likely willing to pay 40% more than you can get from a private PAFOA ad, the auction house may be a better deal if it has seller & buyer premiums of around 10% each.

Also factor in the FFL costs, if any; the auction house will need an FFL transfer for every gun, whether it's a handgun or long gun, and they usually charge the buyer a transfer fee of $10 or $20 per gun. A PAFOA ad for a long gun may (or may not) involve an FFL, but a handgun certainly will, so that depends on what the dealer you pick wants to charge.

I've seen auctions go ridiculously high, but I've also seen guns go way below market. Depends on the crowd. When Edelman's still existed on 309, their annual gun auctions routinely attracted morons with cash, so I watched a used AR-7 sell for more than they sold the same gun for, new, right inside the store. But a crowd of Fudds might let an AR-15 sell for a couple hundred bucks.

If you need the max cash from your guns, and you can't risk that $1500 gun selling for $500, then I'd sell by the piece, online. If you need to move an estate, I'd go with an auction house every time, for various reasons. I've used Alderfer's for that, they know what they're doing.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Indiana County)

The op still hasn't come back, I'd be interested in hearing what kind of guns he is looking to dispose of.

Everyone still seems to be under the assumption that they are not common run of the mill guns that every shop has sitting on their racks.

The op needs to divulge a little more info for accurate responses.
    Encouraging an auction house if they are Savage Axis type rifles made in the last ten years isn't going to help him out.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    The op still hasn't come back, I'd be interested in hearing what kind of guns he is looking to dispose of.

Everyone still seems to be under the assumption that they are not common run of the mill guns that every shop has sitting on their racks.

The op needs to divulge a little more info for accurate responses.
    Encouraging an auction house if they are Savage Axis type rifles made in the last ten years isn't going to help him out.
    I had the same thing typed out but did not post it. I guess he could have went a different direction or maybe forgot his log in information. I sent a pm and did not receive a reply.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Montgomery County)

Sorry, I was away. Thank you for all the good ideas. Is there an Auction house that keeps the guns on consignment till sold or do they sell to highest bidder regardless of price? I will post a list later this week on site for all to see. I have really nice pieces.

Thank to all, once again.

(Indiana County)

If you have nice stuff, an auction house is probably your better bet than a gun show.

Sometimes you can do a reserve, but this turns off bidders imo.

I don't do auctions due to buyers premiums, I'm sure someone who does can chime in.

It would have been better if you had posted this in the general section, probably would have gotten more input, a mod should have moved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Usmcboywonder55 View Post
    Sorry, I was away. Thank you for all the good ideas. Is there an Auction house that keeps the guns on consignment till sold or do they sell to highest bidder regardless of price? I will post a list later this week on site for all to see. I have really nice pieces.

Thank to all, once again.
    Alderfer's Auctions does 4-5 firearms auctions per year. Yes , things go to the highest bidder. Not sure if you can put a reserve on or not.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Montgomery County)

Here it is Folks, The complete list:

Draco AK Pistol with UTG rail and arm Brace
    Drako AK Pistol with Brace
    Romarm Ak Rifle with side folding stock
    B-West AK with wood stock and built in bayo
    Century AK with under folding stock
    B-West SKS never fired new with wood
    3 new Zastava AK's with plastic stocks
    6 like new Olympic AR-15's plinkers with carry handle and NC Star scopes 4X30RE with the lit rect.
    Colt AR-15 1977 original no forward assist in perfect condition
    Colt AR 22
    small Bar DPMS AR-15 8" NFS needed
    DPMS AR Panther 308 scope and six mags
    Fed Ord M14SA 7.62 plastic stock
    Springfield Socom 16 M-1a 7.62
    Armlite AR-50A1 with 8x32 Nikon BDC scope, Tripod, soft carry case and 100 rounds .50BMG ball ammo
    3 HK91 clones- Fed Arms FA91, JLD Ent. PTR91, Hesse H91 these will include 5 mags per rifle
    all above guns are in perfect shape
    Thompson 1927A1 Deluxe .45acp with Stick mag only no case or round mag perfect cond
    M1 carbine Underwood 1941 .30 great shape wood was finished
    M1 Garand Springfield parkerized with great furniture and many clips. perfect cond
    Mauser MDL 98 AR1941 8MM orig wood
    Rem Arms Springfield 03-A3 1943 perfect cond
    Enfield 1907 Smtle .22 trainer perfect cond
    DWM Luger 1916 all numbers match except Mag. perfect cond
    BYF P-38 1944 all numbers match, two mags and Nazi holster, gun is in good used cond and holsters is well worm but with emblem
    Benelli Super M1 12 riot shotgun
    Win mdl 12 16G
    High Standard 20 w adj Choke pump Flite King Deluxe mdl K2011
    Browning Gold Hunter 20G Semi Auto Invector chokes Belg made
    Browning GTI Citori OU 12G Invector Chokes
    Ithaca Mag 10 Semi Auto
    Mossberg 930 Semi Auto Riot 12G
    Savage Mdl 24 OU 12G and .223
    Savage Mdl 24 OU 12G and .30/.30
    H&R Tamer 410/.45LC Mdl SB1
    Mossberg camo Turkey 12G pump
    CVA Black Powder Kodiak Magnum .50 camo with Bushnell Sharpsooter 3x9 scope
    Marlin Mdl 60 .22 SA
    S&W Mdl 1500 bolt action Japan made 7MM mag with NC Star 3x9x40E scope
    Rem BDL 700 blk syn stock with mags 30.06 with Bushnell Banner 4x12 BDC scope tack driver
    Rem 700 Heavy Bar. .308 with tripod blk syn stock with Bec Gold Label 6-24x50 scope tack driver
    Win Buff Bill Comm 30-30 chip out of stock
    Win mdl 94AE 30-30
    Win Mdl 94AR .45LC
    Sav 99 .300
    Sav 99 .308 75th Ann Mdl 1895
    Commando Mark V Volunteer Enter. .45 tommy gun cheap fun shooter semi auto
    All above in perfect shape except those with comments
    1911's- Spring 1911-A1 Operator with Trijion sights, Colt Light Wt Commander .45, Colt Delta Elite 10MM, Kimber Dessert War. .45, Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kimber Ultra CDPII all exc cond
    Spring XD's- .40 Sub compact, .45 full size, .45 Compact
    S&W MP40 with Trijion sights, cust trigger dessert tan
    Ruger LC9
    Ruger LCP .380
    Glock 23 first gen
    Taurus Millennium PT45
    AMT Backup .380
    Sterling .380DA Mdl 400
    High Standard .22 The Victor target Pistol semi auto 6" bar
    Bryco .380
    American Derringer .45ACP OU
    Ruger GP100 4" .357
    Ruger SP101 2" .357
    Ruger Vaquero .45LC 6" antique finish with western holster
    Thanks for looking

Enfield 1941 MA Lithow SMLE III .303 perfect cond

(Indiana County)

IMO, you have about 20 guns on that list that would do really well at a large well advertised auction.
    Much of the more common modern stuff you might better off breaking up into small groups and try selling three or four at a time on the trader here or find a dealer who will do consignment.

Just my opinion, this is not a knock on your collection, just my opinion that the market is soft right now on some of your items.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast